2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Greek Subforum Moderator
13,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussion thread for Oil. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
Which oil for Type R

Discussion thread for Oil. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
What oil do i put in my 08' Type R for toping up ?? :confused:

The manual is confusing

I have some 0w / 30, Mobil 1 synthetic. will this be ok?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I went to the local Honda dealer and they suggested some fully synthetic stuff (which is apparently what comes in the car from new and what you should continue adding until your first service/oil change). The full title is:

Honda HFE-20 (0W-20 grade) - it's about £8/litre, mind!

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
0w-30???

Honda HFE-20 (0W-20 grade) - it's about £8/litre, mind!

£8 a litre is cheap! Halfords were charging £15 for 0W-30 last year!!!!

Thought it should be 0W-30 ???

Yet again my dealer has put in 10W-40 - last time they did this I kicked off and they changed it for 0W-30. Let me guess which grade is cheaper?

·
Registered
587 Posts
£8 a litre is cheap! Halfords were charging £15 for 0W-30 last year!!!!

Thought it should be 0W-30 ???

Yet again my dealer has put in 10W-40 - last time they did this I kicked off and they changed it for 0W-30. Let me guess which grade is cheaper?
I think it states 10W-40 in the manual. To be honest I always just used fully syn in my previous car, but was told by a mechanic that you can do more harm than good! Basically the 0W-30 oil is thinner and not designed for your engine??? I'll stick to the 10W-40 as recommended by Honda, its still semi syn.

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
I think it states 10W-40 in the manual. To be honest I always just used fully syn in my previous car, but was told by a mechanic that you can do more harm than good! Basically the 0W-30 oil is thinner and not designed for your engine??? I'll stick to the 10W-40 as recommended by Honda, its still semi syn.

Can't agree with that !........ synthetic oils were originally designed for race cars and have now been adapted for everyday vehicles.

Compared to conventional oils :
  • Provides excellent engine cleanliness through superior sludge and varnish protection
  • Helps reduce engine wear at high temperatures with improved viscosity stability
  • Provides outstanding high-temperature protection under severe driving conditions
  • Provides superior cold-temperature protection through faster oil flow at start-up
  • Provides more durable anti-wear additives which remain in the oil longer for outstanding protection against friction and wear
  • Helps maintain fuel efficiency for the life of the oil (applies to 5W30 and 10W30 grades)
Hope this helps ?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Can't agree with that !........ synthetic oils were originally designed for race cars and have now been adapted for everyday vehicles.

Compared to conventional oils :
  • Provides excellent engine cleanliness through superior sludge and varnish protection
  • Helps reduce engine wear at high temperatures with improved viscosity stability
  • Provides outstanding high-temperature protection under severe driving conditions
  • Provides superior cold-temperature protection through faster oil flow at start-up
  • Provides more durable anti-wear additives which remain in the oil longer for outstanding protection against friction and wear
  • Helps maintain fuel efficiency for the life of the oil (applies to 5W30 and 10W30 grades)
Hope this helps ?

I do know all this as I used fully syn Mobile1 oil in my previous car, a diesel 306 for 9 years. It never used a drop even after having over 106,000 miles.

Its just what a Fiat mechanic told a family member of mine, I thought it made sense at the time. I wont bother with the mileage that I do (15k pa), I dont think that I'd keep the car more than 4-5 years! I was paying around £70 for 5 litres of Mobile1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts