2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, driving along tonight and decided to play with the heater on my Type-R GT and I could notice no discernable difference between the auto setting and the AC on setting!

Anyone able to shed any light on the matter??

Thanks

Stewart

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Auto provides you with hot/cool air but air con is short for AIR CONDITIONING - Hint in the name - It conditions the air making it cleaner (so I believe)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Auto provides you with hot/cool air but air con is short for AIR CONDITIONING - Hint in the name - It conditions the air making it cleaner (so I believe)

Air conditioning heats/coools and cleans the air, Auto just controls it Automatically, there is no difference to the actual function.

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair enough, I never knew that air conditioning actually cleaned the air. I thought it just conditioned it temperature! :p

This is the first car I have had with A/C so I am new to it!

Thanks

Stu

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
As far as I know:

Temperature control = Climate control
Air cooling /drying = Air conditioning
Heater = Heater :rolleyes:

Auto = Automatic control of the above functions to provide desired temperature, only using AC when necessary.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
UK Spec Type R gets air con
Uk spec Type R GT gets dual zone air con

:)

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I think overseas they do a Race Spec GT that doesn't have Aircon, could this be where the confusion is arrising????

ATB,
Tom

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I think overseas they do a Race Spec GT that doesn't have Aircon, could this be where the confusion is arrising????

ATB,
Tom
So I believe - but actually there are three specs of Type R in the UK, Type R Spec - which was £16,527 when I bought mines, Type R - £17,627 & Type R GT - £18,627 (now all changed by £300!)

I did ask the dealer what the S Spec Type R was as it mentions it in very small print at the bottom of the brochure and they also had it listed on their price list sheet but they didn't know because no one had order on like that lol!!! Someone did say was it not the stripped out one, but I believe that one is actually more exspensive? So maybe the S spec CTR in the UK has no aircon!

·
Type-R GT [R-11523]
278 Posts
I'm guessing you guys don't have a whole lot of use for Aircon over there... Just like you won't find many houses in AUS that have central heating...

It is not my intention here to tell anyone how to "suck eggs".. it just seemed to me that based on some of the previous posts in this thread that I might be able to shed a little light... Aircon is NOT an optional extra over here.... unless you buy a REALLY cheap car...

OK, here's my attempt at a simple explanation:

Both Airconditioning an Climate Cotrol are a combination of Cooling/Heating and Dehumidifying.

Heater just blows air past a heated element so no dehumidifying.

Most systems also utilise some kind of pollen/dust filter to further 'condition' the air.

The difference between Aircon and Climate Control is as follows:
  • With Aircon you select varying degrees of either hot or cold air and a fan speed.
  • You are therefore responsible for controlling the system to achieve a comfortable temperature by varying either the speed of the fan or the temp if the air.
  • Aircon does not use cabin sensors to check the temperature.
Conversely:
  • With Automatic Climate Control you tell the system what temp you want and it controls both the temp of the system and the the speed of the fans. It will blow harder at a more extreme temperature the more it has to change the cabin temp and then settle down once it approaches your desired setting.
  • With Semi-Automatic Climate Control (the Type-R GT has both) You set the desired temp but retain control of the fan speed.
  • Both versions of climate control utilise sensors inside the cabin to ascertain temperature and vary the temp of the system accordingly.
I personally prefer the semi-auto mode because with full-auto when I get in my car on a hot day the system tries to blow me out the back door trying to change the internal temp from 35deg to 19deg in 3.5 seconds :)

Hope this is helpful...

-H

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
@ Tom - yes, I was very careful with my post :wink:
@ Angie - yep, could be :) Is does indeed say 'S Grade also available' in the brochure. Can't select it on the Honda site though...
@ H - nice write up! :D

·
Type-R GT [R-11523]
278 Posts
@ Tom - yes, I was very careful with my post :wink:
@ Angie - yep, could be :) Is does indeed say 'S Grade also available' in the brochure. Can't select it on the Honda site though...
@ H - nice write up! :D
Thanks!

-H

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
And the climate control is actually turned off when I switch off the A/C?
So - if I switch the A/C off a winter day in Norway, I lose the dehumidifying effect, all other features OK?
Correct understood?

·
Type-R GT [R-11523]
278 Posts
So - if I switch the A/C off a winter day in Norway, I lose the dehumidifying effect, all other features OK?
Correct understood?

Correct.

If you switch off the A/C you just have a fan. With a pollen/dust filter.

-H

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not having the climate/aircon on in winter also helps to improve your MPG as the compressor is not working, it can improve economy by 10%. If you do this always run it on climate/aircon for 5mins each journey to lubricate the seals.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Correct understood?
Yes you are correct, but it is not very good for the A/C system to let him out of service for a long period like during Norvegian winters (wich is starting the 15th of August and finish the 15th of July I was told ;-) )

If not used during a long period the cooling liquid/aircon system could be contaminated with bacteria or algae causing "bad smell" in the car when used.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes we are approaching mid-winter now it seems, -9°C this morning! :(

As for the improved MPG, figures I've seen indicate that the A/C drain 0,2 - 0,4 l/h a warm sunny day.

At 100 km/h - 62 mph - this translates to ca 0,2 l/100 km, which is similar to the difference between driving with 16" and 17" alloys.

But agreed, symia, in down town slow driving this figure can mount to 10% of the total consumption.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts