2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please clear up something that bothers me?

I am forever reading that the ep3 type r is quicker and better than the fn2, and just the other day i test drove an ep3 (55 plate final edition cosmic grey, nice car) and did not think so at all. My fn2 felt much quicker and generally more responsive. The ep3 ( not the first time i have drove one) felt more similar to my old mb6 vti civic 1.8?

The lap time around the top gear track for the fn2 was 1:33.5 compared with the ep3's time of 1:36.3? So who is telling the truth there is so much debate over this and so much rubbish about independant rear suspension it just annoys me!

Anyway rant over....

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
The FN2 has more punch across the enitre rev-range but no real noticeable kick when on cam, wheras the EP only really comes alive on cam and it can be felt, as it suddenly kicks in to life - but is, coversely, very subdued below 6,000rpm.

Still, that's not to say it doesn't have vtec y0! (in the FN) it's just that you don't get the sudden kick you would, say when the EP comes on. The FN, when it switches, sounds great and gets quick without noticably pushing you back in to your seat - I often hear people saying that one can lose ones sense of speed in the FN because you get to quite high speeds, without actually realizing it - and I must say I agree,

IMO... The delivery has been smoothened.

As for Top Gear, I believe the conditions of the test(s) for the respective cars were different, if I remember correctly. (Less favourable in view of the EP)

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I often hear people saying that one can lose ones sense of speed in the FN because you get to quite high speeds, without actually realizing it - and I must say I agree,
Would definitely agree with that.

I think the EP3 feels faster but its just an illusion because its so raw and go kart like.

Much is made of the fact that the FN2 has only 1hp extra but is heavier. However i thought Honda had made some changes to the engine etc to counteract the effects of this?

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Would definitely agree with that.

I think the EP3 feels faster but its just an illusion because its so raw and go kart like.

Much is made of the fact that the FN2 has only 1hp extra but is heavier. However i thought Honda had made some changes to the engine etc to counteract the effects of this?
Yeah, I believe that the gearing ratios were shortened, and the delivery of power was smoother/linear. rather than two distinct profiles, like on the EP3... Where I suppose it really is Jekyll and Hiyde depending on the mood of the driver.

Could be wrong, but there are some real techy's about the site that can verify that. Think, that's it though :D

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Was hoping someone would be able to answer that one. Didnt they make the flywheel lighter too?
Not sure if it was lightened further for the FN2. But I'm sure that it was one of the changes, on the face-lift EP3, from the pre-face lift EP3 - If that reads right (basically implemented on the facelift EP3, but weren't present on the pre-face lift though).

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Well is not an illusion, EP3 it is faster , when I was stock I raced 2 of them and lost every time.
We were 3 Fn2 (2 stock , 1 modded) against 2 EP3 (1 stock , 1 modded).
The 2 stock FN2 could not beat the EP3s , straight line acceleration from rolling.
The third FN2 with CPL manifold and Hondata ECU succeed to be equal with the stock EP3 .
But it should be no surprise , EP3 is much lighter, the same horse power , lighter wheels for EP3, no DBW for EP3, you do the math.
With Honda , being lighter is very important, each added kg decreases the performance.
The gear ratio for EP3 and FN2 are the same for 1, 2 and 3, except the 4th 5h and 6th gears being shorter for the EP3.
The final gear for FN2 is higher than the EP3, but then FN2 has bigger/heavier wheels where EP3 has smaller/lighter wheels - so the things compensate each other , is like saying both have the same final drive.
The conclusion is that added weight is our enemy :)
They should put more hp on that engine to compensate the added weight, but they didn't .

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well is not an illusion, EP3 it is faster , when I was stock I raced 2 of them and lost every time.
We were 3 Fn2 (2 stock , 1 modded) against 2 EP3 (1 stock , 1 modded).
The 2 stock FN2 could not beat the EP3s , straight line acceleration from rolling.
The third FN2 with CPL manifold and Hondata ECU succeed to be equal with the stock EP3 .
But it should be no surprise , EP3 is much lighter, the same horse power , lighter wheels for EP3, no DBW for EP3, you do the math.
With Honda , being lighter is very important, each added kg decreases the performance.
The gear ratio for EP3 and FN2 are the same for 1, 2 and 3, except the 4th 5h and 6th gears being shorter for the EP3.
The final gear for FN2 is higher than the EP3, but then FN2 has bigger/heavier wheels where EP3 has smaller/lighter wheels - so the things compensate each other , is like saying both have the same final drive.
The conclusion is that added weight is our enemy :)
They should put more hp on that engine to compensate the added weight, but they didn't .
this is true unfortunatly ive tried and failed as well and on a recent track day a standard ep3 was running faster times than me all day and it wasnt the driver what i would say is if you put a decent filter and exhaust on it makes the cam changeover a LOT more noticable its horses for courses the fn is far more comfortable and relaxed and if you feel like it you blast it will still put the smile on your face the ep3 on the other had (having owned 1 for 3 years)was a drag to drive unless you were ragging the utter siht out of it
think thats enough of my nonsense lol
fn2=family fun with more smiles
ep3=bawls out madness with lazy tendencies:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts