2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've had the Civ for a month (2,500miles), I'd just like to air a few thoughts:-

Having lived with it for a bit, I'm a bit disappointed in the overall build quality - I have no way of knowing whether this is better or worse than other cars of its ilk but it ain't good in my book!

Apart from test drives in an Astra (yuk!), Clio and Grande Punto the only scale I have to measure by is my five-and-a half year old Alfa 156 I owned beforehand, and quite frankly the Civ is not in the same league in terms of construction, materials and aesthetics - the Civ has got some interior details that are reminiscent of ultra-cheap Sharp stereo equipment of years gone by - I am totally uninterested in flashy 'image' detail so the centre console and door armrest/control consoles are almost offensive in their tackiness - and Yes, I know they were there on my test drive car, but I didn't 'live' with them then!!!

I will say that dynamically the Civ has pleasantly surprised - lovely gearbox, it does roll under pressure way more than I'm used to, but it ultimately does most certainly deliver in the main, braking, roadholding and handling has been very positive attributes, and it feels very safe.

Now that I've got a few miles on the clock I've taken to giving it some serious 'stick' but the frisson of the Alfa just ain't there at the moment - the engine certainly tells you it's working hard when you give it some welly, but that's all it does - OK, I'm now working with 10HP less than the Alfa, but it feels like 30HP less. I don't want to appear too disgruntled on this score because the Alfa in no way could produce the fuel consumption figures the Civ does, but here again on one night last week when I drove it in the manner I was accustomed to, the average MPG plummeted to 30MPG! I'm not exactly a great believer in i-VTEC technology as a result....

If I sit down looking at the car with *** and cup of coffee in hand there are a few niggles - the doors certainly do not align and sit square in their openings for a start, and the front centre plastic bit is definitely wearing away the paintwork.........

...but (again) I love it (I'm seriously worried about my own mental welfare here :) :))

I would shudder at the thought of being hooked on the 'image' - there are too many cars around that have acquired 'good' reputations on this tenuous parameter - I won't mention any here though.... Real substance counts, not what the Marketing guys would have you believe!

It is probably not apparent from reading the above, but I'm happy with the Civic - but where is that legendary build quality?? - not on any current Civic I've seen! The person responsible for some of the interior materials should be fired - nothing less! Cheap, shoddy and definitely not 'fit for the purpose'!

BTW, I've just finished washing my cherished Civ Sport in anticipation of tomorrow's meet in Oxford - Yes, I really do like the Civic, but just feel a bit cynical about what is apparently a myth about Honda build quality - sorry you folks in Swindon, but it just ain't there at the moment!!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I think with regard to materials used it could just be indicative of the world today! I currently have an 05 BMW 320d and the interior is already falling apart! It’s all made out of the same ‘shiny’ plastics and all clipped together, the strips holding the carpet have slipped off their clips and that’s on a 24K Motor!

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I cant really comment on build quality, as still waiting for mine.
However, as to performace - bigger cars tend to 'mask' speed. So comparison of cars is hard by just 'feel'. I remember my first car - old Audi 80, when I would drive 100km/h, it felt soo fast. Now when driving my old Civic (waiting for new one :)) 100km/h, it's like standing in place.
As for fuel economy, as I currently have VTI engine - having 30mpg's would blow my mind. I have never yet reached so low mpg. Yes, I do tend to drive a bit harder (highways ~110mph, open road.. well... as much as possible actually :p - however not pushing it, as some safety is still needed) - and with that kind of drive it's usually at best 25mpg (also can plummet to 20mpg), while in city also close to 20mpg.
Ah yes.... engine is good, and it also passes eco-tests with flying colors.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Nick7, you will love the economy of the 1.8 i-vtec then. I have averaged 41 mpg over the last 2700 miles in mine :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, my old car was 2000. Fiat Punto 1.9 JTD, and i can say that it's not comperable to the civic's build quality, which is normal, because the punto is not in the same leauge. But i have also occasionally driven a VW Touareg for a few months, and i would say that i don't like it's build quality either. All the plastic parts feel just too plastic, like they would break on a bit stronger push. and i can say that civic is certainly better built than 2000. VW Sharan, which has started to literarly fall apart. Altho it would be nice if civic had it's rubber coating of the main console.

All in all, i'm satisfied with civic's build quality, i'm only irritated by the bad imitation of aluminium (or whatever the silver plastic is trying to immitate). Also, the console trim is just a bit off in two places, but all in all, the build quality is good, you can feel it. And the diesel engine is stunning. The economy is almost the same as with my 80bhp punto

edit: i forgot to mention that even the knobs in Touareg didn't have the nice rubbery feeling like those in civic have :)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
As the materials thing seems to effect many cars ( i test drove a BMW, Audi, SAAB, Jaguar, VW) i wonder if some of it is down to the EU regulations on the manufacturer also being responsible for the costs of recycling the vehicle at end of life.

Some of the materials previously used would probably be expensive or difficult to recycle and ultimately the cost would have to be added to the up front RRP, and as preiously stated even the so called "prestige" have started to use these sort of materials at the same time ??

Just a thought, but if i`m right things are jus going to get worse and like the Smart cars you will have to have the ability of replacing all the interior trims... but not just for fashion value but because they look shoddy every two years !!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well I've had the car for 5 months now. Overall I like it a lot. I still think it's the fun I've had since my 205 GTi. I am a bit disappointed in the build quality, etc - Honda's reputation was one of the selling points for me - but then again I knew I was taking a risk with getting a brand new model so early. I am finding that the performance isn't quite as good as I had hoped, but the fuel economy is good. Generally I'm happy, I just have a feeling that I'm going to be jealous of the people who buy it next year when various teething troubles will have been sorted.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
After my two months of ownership (minus 2 weeks spent in Thailand) I'm very happy with my Civic. The plastics on the dash were scratched when I took delivery and they will be replaced as soon as replacement bits arrive. Apparently they are a bit hard to get. Performance is superb compared to my previous cars, the latest being a 1.4 petrol 206. Economy is still at least as good as the Pug, but I'm expecting it to become better as the mileage increases. (or rather meterage)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mmmmm ... some very interesting comments, especially folks with quite a lot of problems and bits they are not happy with, yet the car has a "something" that makes us all love it.

I am more than happy with mine, and especially the fact that after 5 months I still look forward to driving it.

I find some of the materials a bit cheap but then some are also very high standard for this class of car. If one looks around at the alternatives for similar money, then I think overall it is good. I looked at the new Seat Leon for example, and the interior of that is an expanse of cheap looking plastic.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Hello once again Trekker308. I agree with your comments re. quality of

some of the interior-- too delicate for everday use.

I suppose its economics really. The vehicle is built to a price, and thats it.

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi elfa7 - good to meet you yesterday!

I'm happy with the Civ overall, but one of the main reasons for picking the Civic over its competitors was Honda's reputation - and from what I currently see, that reputation might slip a bit....

As said, dynamically the civic is a real delight though!:-D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi elfa7 - good to meet you yesterday!

I'm happy with the Civ overall, but one of the main reasons for picking the Civic over its competitors was Honda's reputation - and from what I currently see, that reputation might slip a bit....

As said, dynamically the civic is a real delight though!:-D
Yes my sentiments exactly. I was looking for a car that would last me 6 or 7 years without problems as my previous one had - hence choosing a Honda. However I still love my Civic & don't regret choosing it over a Leon.:)

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Hi all so apart from few moanes most of u are fairly happy with your civic.
What is your thoughts on the dealers are they happy to help ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts