2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per thread title, my driver's side front speaker isn't working at all, no muffled noise or any sound for that matter after checking the balance on the (standard) head unit.

The tweeter on the same corner however, is working.

So before I go about pulling off the door card only to be able to do nothing about it, is this symptomatic of a blown speaker or loose connection etc? I thought that tweeters weren't supposed to be able to work without the woofer working alongside it?

?just trying to get an idea of posssible problems before i go and buy some aftermarket alternatives or attempt to fix the issue myself.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem with silence from driver side door speaker, but working driver side tweeter. I suppose it’s the perfect opportunity to upgrade to better speakers, but there is no point in changing the speakers if there is a common problem with broken connections in the dash or even failed headunit amplifiers etc?

Has anyone had a similar problem where new speakers have fixed it?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I take the original head unit out first and check the connections,and then do a test with a spare speaker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Perhaps it's a break in the wire? I wiggled the wires a bit, which come from the chassis to the door and now it's works. I suspect that wire breaks or make a bad connection due to opening and closing the door everyday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To save time, I have bought a pair of Infinity Speakers and speaker rings just in case I take the door cards off only to find its the speaker that is at fault. If its not a connection issue at the speaker end, then further investigation will be required, but I'm going to stay optimistic until then. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I finally got round to installing the front Infinity speakers a few days ago. I didn't bother installing the Infinity Crossovers or Infinity Tweeters as I simply didn't have the time, and I find the standard tweeters ok. In hind sight, I should have just got normal speakers instead of components. Anyway …

When I did the front drivers door speaker, I noticed immediately that the terminals on the speaker were heavily corroded and the connector onto the speaker was also quite bad. I opened the clip on the connector to expose maximum wire, and then cut off the connectors. I then crimped on red female spade connectors to each pair of wires, and connected them directly onto the new speakers. Bingo, both speakers working again, and sounding a lot better already.

On my 57 plate ES …

Driver Front (+) = Grey Wires – 4.8mm red female spade
Driver Front (-) = Brown Wires – smallest red type

Passenger Front (+) = Light Blue Wires – 4.8mm red female spade
Passenger Front (-) = Light Green Wires – smallest red type

Obviously soldering the speaker wires to the speakers (or at least the connectors) is going to be best if you have this option. I hope this helps you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts