2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CTR 2010 Mugen with Tein suspension, whiteline ARBs front and rear, Upgraded pads and discs
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've pretty much run out of ideas with my ongoing brake fault, which is annoying to say the least and intermittent when driving. It's a 10 year old Type R Mugen with circa 46k on the clock.

So after I purchased my 2010 CTR I decided as the brakes felt spongy and discs warped I would upgrade to a big brake system, after searching on line I opted for the cheaper set up to Stoptech using Renault megane 4 pot Brembo callipers with larger discs and an ali calliper conversion kit from Freaky Parts. I just couldn't get these to work effectively and since installing these, whenever I apply the brake, no matter how slight if the steering wheel is turned to the left the ABS to the outer front RHS wheel is activated simulating a flat tyre feeling.

I have since reverted back to the standard set up and have replaced the RHS brake sensor, and renewed the hoses to HEL braided throughout, rebled and used RBF600 brake fluid, replaced all the rubber seals and moving parts to the brake callipers with a replecement repair set for the front discs and callipers. To my dismay the problem still persists even though no fault code is evident on readout (I guess as the car can only be tested on a rolling road where the steering is straight and thus the wheels aligned where the problem never occurs).

Please can someone let me know if it's likely to be a faulty ABS unit as I have someone booked to come and remove it next Wednesday with a view to sending it off to get repaired or worst case replaced. I have already invested a small fortune on this car and really don't want to put good money after bad and not achieve any results to remedy this fault.

I have also replaced the suspension (Tein), the anti roll bars front and rear (Whiteline) and the front wheel bearings when the big brakes were added, so no idea if any of this could be affecting the car?

It's also got a FRS albeit I took it to Quikfit to have a wheel alignment check a few months back where they won't have the FRS set up angles on their computer only factory settings so that was a tad dumb of me?

Any advice would be very gratefully received so I can start driving this car without worrying what the brakes are going to do next???

Kind Regards

Steve

·
Registered
CTR 2010 Mugen with Tein suspension, whiteline ARBs front and rear, Upgraded pads and discs
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone else experienced this issue since owning their CTR? Any advise would be gratefully received :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
replaced the RHS brake sensor
do you mean the wheel speed sensor? as i was going to suggest replacing it.

could also be a dodgy yaw or steering angle sensor. i would check with the appropriate scan tool to make sure all the values are correct. might be worth pulling fuse for the abs unit and seeing if it still happens, rules out an incorrect symptom at least.

·
Registered
231 Posts
since installing these, whenever I apply the brake, no matter how slight if the steering wheel is turned to the left the ABS to the outer front RHS wheel is activated simulating a flat tyre feeling.
bit of a coincidence that it started happening after being worked on so i am leaning towards it not being the abs unit. would double check speed sensor, speed sensor connector/wires and pickup ring on hub.

interesting that it happens when turning left, that means the pickup ring is being pushed away from the speed sensor due to leaning (speed sensor is at the top of pickup ring). just a hunch but try removing the speed sensor and cleaning the heck out of the mating surface and bore hole of speed sensor location so that the sensor can be as close as possible to the pickup ring. i did mine recently due to a faulty speed sensor and the difference that cleaning the area made was significant, sensor slipped in with zero force required. i used a curved small file to clean

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
;) Nice one many thanks for that, phew just in time too as a mobile garage mechanic is coming this morning to remove my entire ABS unit to send away for a repair, it def doesn't sound like that's the issue, I think Im leaning towards your idea that it's a sensor / wiring issue, I had the RHS sensor replaced about 3 months ago BUT they def didn't clean out the hub where the sensor ring is located, which could well be full or crud, rust and all sorts, thanks for this you could have just saved me a good few hundred pounds! I'll keep you posted on what happens. (y)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Sounds like a frustrating issue. A friend got copper grease where it shouldn't be and that caused all sorts of issues with the ABS, don't think that's your issue though if its only with the wheel turned left. Good luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've been out driving for over 30 mins with the mobile mechanic and guess what not one issue you couldn't print it, he agrees with you though def doesn't sound like an ABS fault which is great as that's one expensive fix esp if you go through Honda! He says as you suggest when the BBK and suspension was fitted its likely the wheel hub rotor that the sensor reads from has been damaged or has some dirt on it and that causes the irregular ABS braking just odd its only when the wheel is on the outside when turning left which also makes me think your thoughts on possible issues with the other speed sensors on the car which again could have been damaged during the works???? I will get to the bottom of it just no idea when and after how much money, def nothing odd on the readout though he had it plugged in whilst driving and all braking graphs were true and even?

·
Super Moderator
3,668 Posts
;) Nice one many thanks for that, phew just in time too as a mobile garage mechanic is coming this morning to remove my entire ABS unit to send away for a repair,
sending it where to get it repaired???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first recommendation was to remove the whole ABS unit and send it off to Autotronics to get the system repaired however on closer inspection this morning, the mobile mechanic came to the same conclusion that this was not a fault with the ABS / hydraulic unit itself but more likely a fault with the ABS wheel sensors / wiring or possibly the hub rotor has been damaged or has dirt in causing the unusual and random activation of the ABS unit, only when depressing the brake pedal whilst turning left (typical example is when driving down a car park ramp or exiting a small roundabout where you need to depress the brake pedal to slow down whilst the steering is not straight), however it has never happened the other way when turning right or any other wheel locked up other than the front RHS???

I think my first port of call will be to remove the sensor that has recently been replaced and clean out the rotor as treehouse suggests, I have seen clips on YT where there is loads of crud collected within the rotor housing although this should have been cleaned out when the wheel bearings were replaced about 16 months ago, that's assuming they were, who knows now I really don't know as these problems have only really started since the brakes and suspension were replaced???

Was supposed to be the fun car, more like the ever challenging money drainer 2 years on and none the wiser to the ongoing problem???

I will probably also look to sell the BBK Brembo upgrade kit as the mechanic def didn't recommend putting on wheel spacers and this setup back on the car as it throws out the whole cars geometry and puts way too much offset loading on the bearings which I hadn't really considered. I was put off though after my 1st set of 20mm spacers had rusted and the bolts were slipping through the ali rings not ideal when cornering fast!! They weren't even 6 months only but to be fair they did replace them with new but I'd lost confidence by then and resorted to factory brake calipers just uprated discs and pads to help with the rather poor standard OEM single pot calipers??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts