2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been noticing the all too common knockign sound from my Civics rear end over the last couple of weeks.

Thought Id check on the honda website to see if there is any outstanding work to be done, low and behold there is!

Why the hell didnt I get a letter/phone call about this?

Its not good enough.

Anyway im off to my dealer after work to see what they have to say about it and whether they know what needs to be done, wonder if its the shocks?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Hi lovedog,

Got to say this but my local honda dealer where i bought my civic followed up recall notice with phone and letter asking to bring car in for remiedial work under recall scheme. Obviously i am saddened to hear this is not the case with all dealers, Ask to see service manager when you have contact, All recalls effected are entered onto database and circulated to dealers,

PS. My recall was for windscreen seal replacement.job done 2hrs.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Ive been noticing the all too common knockign sound from my Civics rear end over the last couple of weeks.

Thought Id check on the honda website to see if there is any outstanding work to be done, low and behold there is!

Why the hell didnt I get a letter/phone call about this?

Its not good enough.

Anyway im off to my dealer after work to see what they have to say about it and whether they know what needs to be done, wonder if its the shocks?

When was you car registered? I too have a knocking but have been told that there is nothing wrong!! I have also just seen that I have outstanding work on my car, wonder what it is!!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Just noticed on the Honda section that mine needs work as well. The following message is displayed:

" According to our records there is some outstanding work to be carried out on the VIN you entered.

Please contact your local dealer to arrange for it to be carried out free of charge"

As you say, wouldn't it be nice if they contacted me regarding this.

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
Would also be nice to know what needs to be done.

I also have some kind of knocking on the passenge side somewhere (not sure if rear or front).

It also says i have outstanding work to be done too. 07 by the way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update.

Went to the local dealership on Friday after work, and spoke to a rather useful technician.

I mentioned the knocking so he had a look at the shocks. They are of the modified design that were fitted once the problem with dodgy shocks was found. But he said this doesnt necessarily mean that there isnt a problem with them, as they have had to replace some even though they are the modified types.

He also checked the recall/update information that I asked him about and he said it is for them to check the windscreen seals and clips as some cars have been found to have problems. They have been waiting to do this when customers come in for services or other work.

Well, my car is due its first service soon, so they are going to throroughly check the shocks then. But they are going to need to keep the car there overnight.

The weird thing is, and this seems common with many owners, the knocking only happens when the car has been parked up for a period of time, for example overnight.

I get some knocks when I reverse the car off the drive in the morning, then the noise disappears once I have been over a few bumps. I then dont get it for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just checked mine too

and yes, i have some outstanding work to be carried out, phoned the dealer and it the windscreen seals that have to be as apparently they are too tight. They will also look into the very strange squeaking shock from the front left of the car which only started to happen about a week ago but is getting more and more noticeable.

Very very helpful, they are collecting the car and dropping it back, only takes 1.5 hours. And at least they will be able to hear the odd noises.

I wonder if this seal is the cause of a faint whistle from the left of the car at 60mph+?

·
Nneeaawwwwwwww
443 Posts
Think I'm gonna have to check my VIN. I'm sure I have the shocks problem as I have the noise when I come off the drive and it was noticeable going over speed bumps on saturday with 5 adults in the car.

Saying that, I'd be surprised if any work does need to be done, I only bought the car just over 2 weeks ago and it received a full service before I collected it.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Hi lovedog,

Got to say this but my local honda dealer where i bought my civic followed up recall notice with phone and letter asking to bring car in for remiedial work under recall scheme. Obviously i am saddened to hear this is not the case with all dealers, Ask to see service manager when you have contact, All recalls effected are entered onto database and circulated to dealers,

PS. My recall was for windscreen seal replacement.job done 2hrs.
Hello Civie,
Can you tell us why your windscreen seal was replaced?
Did you had any noise/squeek from the windscreen?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I got the usual message when quoting my VIN number.

Just called the stealer and I don't believe the reason for recall.....hang on I do believe it!!!

They may have put the wrong chassis number on my vehicle so now it might look like a ringer? Would they really grind the old one off ??

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hello Civie,
Can you tell us why your windscreen seal was replaced?
Did you had any noise/squeek from the windscreen?
I have just had mine replaced and the reason given was that it has dug into the paint and could possibly cause corrosion on the roof.
I now totally regret having this work carried out and the dealer has made such a mess of my car.
They chipped the windscreen while doing this and so replaced it. In the process they have significantly scratched (right through to the white) the pillars and plastic at the bottom.
They have also scratched the roof at the top of the screen and all the way along the channels on both sides, plus there are additional scratches and marks (over-spray?) all over the car.
In summary, they have made a right mess, and I would rather have taken the risk on the corrosion and got it sorted if it did happen.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
They chipped the windscreen while doing this and so replaced it. In the process they have significantly scratched (right through to the white) the pillars and plastic at the bottom.
They have also scratched the roof at the top of the screen and all the way along the channels on both sides, plus there are additional scratches and marks (over-spray?) all over the car.

Your post made me realise that I hadnt even checked mine last week when i collected the car as I was to engrossed in complaining about the paint re-spray.

Just been out to check mine and there are three scratches on the roof [smilie=mad.gif]
Im not happy off to the dealership now to show them - I really am running out of steam with this car I have to say.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Gee TC, is it your dealer thats bad or have you run over a black cat/broken several mirrors/walked under ladders or what. I really feel for you, don't think I could have put up with it all.:(

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Gee TC, is it your dealer thats bad or have you run over a black cat/broken several mirrors/walked under ladders or what. I really feel for you, don't think I could have put up with it all.:(

I went to the dealers, they used this compound stuff and it appears to have removed the scratches. I cant tell for sure as it has rained ever since so I cant have a proper look but they must have been surface scratches and the dirt had got in to them so it looked worse than it was, they gave me a pot of the compound so it is my new best friend :D

Plus I took my son with me and he walked away as happy as larry as they have give him one of the little toy civics :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had a look at the Honda site and mine is under recall too. The paint also chips far to easy on the bonnet I have 3 or 4 big chips then loads of smaller ones, its only a year old how will it look after 2/3. :(

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Had a look at the Honda site and mine is under recall too. The paint also chips far to easy on the bonnet I have 3 or 4 big chips then loads of smaller ones, its only a year old how will it look after 2/3. :(
Can somone point me in the right direction to how to get recall details etc. as I have been unsuccessful in my efforts so far. Many thanks.
Ramsay

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Did anyone know how I can check the recall for my car because Honda France or Honda South Europe did not provide this type of info through internet...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honda

You know whats really funny is that I see all you guys AT LEAST have a site to go to to see if there are any recalls. Here in SA there's no such thing. You have to phone your dealer and according to them your car is perfect. No recalls no problem. AND even if you list all the problems, you are the only one in South Africa who has these problems. How I love this country's car industry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts