2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
Get it wet sanded ! I'm sure that's the way to combat orange peel , feel free to correct me

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
sadly true... sand and paint.......

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Read this:
Taken from: KDS Keltec - Paint Correction

Orange Peel

One of the greatest imperfections with a new vehicle is a bad paint finish, otherwise known as orange peel. Orange peel is the name given to a slightly rippled effect on the paintwork. When a vehicle is sprayed at the factory, the build up of multiple wet layers of paint combined with the spray guns pushing out a lot of air, cause the airstream to leave a visible rippled effect finish.
The way to remove this orange peel effect is by wetsanding and machine polishing. There are 4 grades of abrasive paper used (1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit) to remove orange peel and create the ultimate finish. Each stage of abrasive paper removes a very fine layer of paint (the higher the grit, the finer the layer removal), meaning your paintwork becomes perfectly smooth and flat. Once the wetsanding had been done, the machine polishing can begin. This process will refine your paintwork to a 'better than new' finish.

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Sadly just about all new cars are like this, thanks to having to use eco-friendly paint nowadays.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Gordon Bennett -- Having bought 4 new Honda's, isn't their paint thin and soft enough already, without making it even thinner.
Live with it is M.O., as you need to go up market a fair old bit, to find a car without Orange Peel.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Both our new cars have perfect paint application
BUT
My 07 reg Honda Civic was...on the tailgate
Mines the same on the tailgate, I complained to my dealer and was told its because the panel is plastic you get a different finish.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Because the panel is plastic??
Absolute rubbish!!!
My plastic bumper is perfect on my Octavia!!
Its crap Honda application and dealers are burying their heads in the sand!!
Just like they are for stonechips

1 - 13 of 13 Posts