2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday some one pointed out to me that my car paintwork looked rippled all over like orange peel.

I assumed (you know what they say about assumption) that thats the way it was supposed to be :oops: but apparently it is not!

Anyone else have this problem please?

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
As far as I'm aware, it is how all Hondas are painted. If you get it checked, they will say the paint is normal.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I'm aware, it is how all Hondas are painted. If you get it checked, they will say the paint is normal.
I have been told it is most definately not supposed to look like that! If they all look like that it doesn't mean it is right. If Honda say it is then they are clearly hoping we are all stupid and believe it and go away quietly!

I have been put in contact with two other people who live locally to me who are currently complaining to Honda for "poor paintwork" on their cars.

Copycat - thanks for that, I knew the first thread didn't mention "orange peel" I missed the second one!!

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I have got Orange peel effect all over mine. For a few days I had a wing that was mirror like, unfortunately it was the wrong shade, but the finish was amazing, so it is possible to get right.

I was told by the guy who resprayed my wing that it is likely to be caused by the flow of paint from the spray nozzle being to high and or painted too close. He also suggested that this is a good trick to get away with thinner colour layers, then overspray the topcoat, it goes like this, masks any surface blemishes and because the light comes off it in all sorts of directions it can "hide" all sorts of things.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I was at my local dealer again the other day and saw a new black FRV (these are built in Japan). Looked great from a distance but a bigtime grapefruit close up. So it does seem to be a trait with Honda these days. Even more so in certain colours. Next to it was an Alabaster Accord (which looked pretty good), while one on from that was the new Legend. No prizes for guessing which, out of the three, had the best finish!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a friend who works in the indusrty (for Honda and Mazda) who for years has been saying that most new cars, regardless of make, have an orange peel finish and that it is a hell of a job recreating it precisely after accident damage repairs or spraying new panels. It seems to him (and myself) that robots have deemed Mk1 Human efforts are now incorrect when applyng a 'flat' finish (not to mention expensive!). So I would agree orange peel is normal.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
To be fair to the guy who re-sprayed my wing ono the 3rd occasion he managed to get an orange peel look, apparantly it took significantly longer to do by hand than a smooth finish would have.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Is it wrong that I like the 'hammered' orange peel effect? I think it gives the paint a bit of a sense of depth and I like the way it scatters the light a little.

Given the choice of a 100% smooth finish, or the one I have with it's dimples, I prefer the one I have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The orange peel is perfectly normal, if you go and see new VW Passat or Jetta the finish is exactly the same.

New accord has exactly the same finishing also

·
Registered
144 Posts
The orange peel is perfectly normal, if you go and see new VW Passat or Jetta the finish is exactly the same.

New accord has exactly the same finishing also
Orange peel is not perfectly normal, it's a paint fault.
It's because too much clearcoat is applied. You would get a much better reflection / depth if it was not there, as rich said earlier it just hides surface / paint imperfections.
If it was the industry norm to have an orange peel finish, why don't Rolls, Aston and the top manufactures apply it to there cars?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
johnd, you can't really compare any part of a £15k car to a £100k+ car, it's like saying the engine isn't as good or the interior is not as nice. It's just not a fair comparison.

As said before, no cars of this price range will have mirror like paint finishes, they will all suffer from this effect to an extent. I can't really see it worth worrying about!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't agree that any car at this price will have 'orange peel'.

I had a (USA built) Aerodeck, and the paint finish was dead smooth. My previous Civic was a bit 'orange peeley' (Micatelic dark blue), but my present Galaxy Grey is fairly good actually, but I have seen a lot of variations in Civics, many being pretty poor.

Orange peel is a fault, caused by:
  • Poor application
  • Poor paint
  • Overfast drying
Basically - once again it comes down to lack of decent quality control - remember;
  • Shock absorbers - still fitted after known faults
  • Fuel fillers - carried on after known faults - bodged foam mod
  • Bumpers fouling - rubber bits not fitted?
  • Rattles
  • Springs upside down
  • Squeaky windows
Its all a bit depressing really

·
Registered
144 Posts
johnd, you can't really compare any part of a £15k car to a £100k+ car, it's like saying the engine isn't as good or the interior is not as nice. It's just not a fair comparison.

As said before, no cars of this price range will have mirror like paint finishes, they will all suffer from this effect to an extent. I can't really see it worth worrying about!

Ok then i guess you are an exception, who would choose the poor paint finish. I was trying to make the point that if it was the general industry standard then the top players in the market would strive to achieve the orange peel effect that some people believe is ok to except.
I have never had a car with such a poor finish, and i always mostly had Ford's and Renault's before, which are allegedly of a lower standard of quality than Honda and hopefully are a more fair comparison. Cars in this segment should have good quality, fault free paint work and a vast majority do. It's a fault which can be easily picked up and rectified at source, but it cost's money and Honda would rather take the chance that the car goes to someone who don't mind it / notice it than correct it.
As 3rd Honda said it is poor quality control

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Orange peel ??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts