2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Its been a while since I posted anything on here, i have owned my car for 2 years, and apart form a blown injector seal and SOD repair I've had no trouble from my 56 plate 2.2 civic, but recently I have had what can best be described as run of bad luck. I am at 106k miles on the clock

a few weeks ago I broke down on the m6 just a few mins after joining it, cruising along at 75mph in the middle lane and all of a sudden I lost all power and had to pull over with check system + engine management light + flasing glowplug light on.

that turned out to be a low pressure on rail fault code and I got towed home. I had the fuel filter replaced and all seemed well when a few days later I was ahem... racing against another car ( I left him in my rear view mirror) and then all of a sudden lost of power limp mode and I had too pull over, this time I waited a few mins after turning the car off and the fault light cleared, it would seem that I can only guess they maybe didn't prime the fuel filter properly? im not sure if its a genuine Honda filter either, as it was taken by my brother to another garage rather than my regular one, but the cars due its full 12k mile service in 1500 miles so about 6 weeks from now, so ill get my regular independent to change it again.

anyhow I have also had another issue which is a momentary (1/2 second max) orange light appear on the temp gauge to the right of the rev counter, and when this happens the engine for that split 1/2 second jolts / loses power, and then all of a sudden it is fine.

my temp reading on the instrument cluster is the same as it has always been just over 1/3 of the way up.

so I invested in a obd2 reader off fleabay which connects via Bluetooth, to try and catch any faults, but there is nothing recorded in the ecu / or on the torque app when I have had it happen, it is very random usually within the first 10 mins of the car starting and being driven, this does not happen every time I start the car, just randomly.

rather than go to the local stealership and waste money on them telling me we cant see anything I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this?

I really don't want to have to get rid of this car, as it is a monster on the motorway which I use everyday and its great on fuel, I never use anything but BP and every 10th fill up is bp ultimate, even the engine oil is shell helix titanium, which I have done every 6k miles including filter, no corners cut on this motor, I was really upset as strange as it may sound when these problems started as I have looked after the car.

any ideas? :confused:

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
Hopefully this will give you a lead.

Otherwise you may need a full diagnostic from a HDS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Farqui & everyone else...

I did the foil test and got the following back:

PA50 DTC B1168
PA50 DTC B1177
PA51 DTC B1235
PA51 DTC B1235
PA51 DTC B2991

DTC END

Any ideas please on what I need to do next?

I forgot to add to my initial opener my car was on the drive for 6 weeks ish as I had another car I was driving about, it moved off the drive twice in that time both times with a jump start as the battery didn't have the power to make it start, but since then it's been on the motorway every day minimum of an hour at a time.. And then I got these issues, might just be coincidence??

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
DTC B1168: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the ECM (ENG Message)

DTC B1177: Abnormal Battery Voltage (7.5 V)

DTC B1235 or DTC indicator J: A Problem in the Driver's Air Mix Control Linkage, Door, or Motor

DTC B2991 or DTC indicator F and AUTO: Climate Control Unit Lost Communication with Audio HVAC Subdisplay Unit (with audio system) or HVAC Subdisplay Unit (without audio system)

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
Now you have a note of this historical errors, I'd clear them and see what reoccurs.

Then you will have an idea of the current issue(s) rather than chasing older ones that may no longer be relevant.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Loose battery connection? Long shot I know but I had a similar random light flashing on dash and momentarily losing engine/power and was a loose Earth on my battery. was on a prelude not a civic tho. Would explain the temp lots of connection codes maybe as well and certainly the abnormal voyage if it's only losing connection for a split second.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I will clear them Down and see what turns up again, thanks for your help I will keep you all updated I will also check battery connection and earthing too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right then, on the way to work down the M6 i got the orange/ red (bad eyesight cant tell the difference ) temp light split second pop up and the momentary jerk/ loss of power so i did the foil trick and this is what i got:

Pa50 b1177

Judging by the above descriptions from Farqui its abnormal voltage?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
How old is your battery, do you know when it was last replaced? As suggested, be sure to check connections on the terminals are nice and tight and that the earth points are clean and secure. This would be my first port of call.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Steve

Probably a very dumb question on my part but how can i clean the earthing / connectors. What product should i use? I will take a photo of what it looks like and upload here, not sure when the battery was replaced, ill look through the service paperwork to see if there is a receipt for it there.

Does any highs street garage offer a battery check that a. Is trustable b. Actually works?

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Hi Steve

Probably a very dumb question on my part but how can i clean the earthing / connectors. What product should i use? I will take a photo of what it looks like and upload here, not sure when the battery was replaced, ill look through the service paperwork to see if there is a receipt for it there.

Does any highs street garage offer a battery check that a. Is trustable b. Actually works?
Cleaning the connectors where?

From the battery post to where the ground cable is on the body?

This is a tool you use to clean the battery posts and the battery cable clamps

For the part where the cable is connected to the chassis, some sand paper and then use some dielectric grease to prevent corrosion

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I've ordered a cleaner for the terminal **** be here in a few days, in the meantime....

What an amazing morning... Turned the car on an bing... Yellow steering wheel with an exclamation mark and check system, turned car of waited a minute tried again and more of the same, then I got airbag symbol and the vsa light too
Anyhow waited a few mins and all cleared.

I had a great experience 40 mins ago on the m6 coming back from work, car lost power luckily I had the obd reader plugged in so I got the following codes:

P0087
P1065

Waited 5 mins and it cleared, and I was free to just about get home.

Now I've changed the fuel filter, can't say it's a Honda one but it I had no issues for a few weeks after it was changed.
I ordered a can of bg244 2 days ago as I read on a accord forum that someone with a similar issue did it and that cleaned everything up.

Looks like the cars staying on the drive until Saturday when I can check the battery and then push for an early service next week when my brother gets back from his holiday, updates to follow...

I'll put the pics of faults up shortly... On a side note I took a screenshot of torquewith the engine turned on idling can anyone say if the values are OK?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right then, a quick update for today...

This morning I emptied the contents of the bg244 can into my fuel tank which registered 150miles / 1\3 of a tank left.

I drove on my standard route, didn't think much was happening, however about 15 mins into my drive just before I got to the slip Rd for joining the m6 there was a sudden jolt, like I'd been bumped from behind or I'd lifted the clutch up, but neither of these things had happened, the car seemed to feel like it no longer had a blocked nose... Forgive the metaphor...

Anyhow I joined down the slip Rd 40 50 60 70 no issues so I cruised at 70 for about 5 mins then decided topen it up a bit as normally if I am racing it goes limp at about 80, I took it 75 80 85 90 no problem no red temp light no limp mode .

For the next 25 miles changing speed from 60 to 85 and putting the engine to work, I got to work without any issues.

So I finished early today and the m6 was clear at 145pm I did the same all the way home with speed and working the engine, no issues.

My question ....

Was something blocking the rail or an injector?
As this performance today from the engine would suggest no issue with the pump or filter?

Your opinions greatly appreciated.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,812 Posts
P1065 and P0087 relate to low rail pressure conditions usually caused by having a non-OEM (Denso) fuel filter or a worn fuel pump. The fuel rail can't block and a blocked injector wouldn't cause those fault codes.

There's no way BG244 can fix faults like this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts