2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

After how many burnt and failed H7 bulbs you will swich your brand?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Dear Honda fans,

I have put off writing this email for a few months now but after my latest and third replacement of the Osram Night Breaker Plus died on my Civic 2010 1.4 Sport I decided they have earned no loyalty with me.

I bought my first pair of Night Breakers in 2010 for my Toyota Corola and I was happy for a whole warm season March-October until I had to replace one because it died on me. Bought my Civic a month later in December 2010 and immediately replaced the OEM H7 bulbs with the Night Breakers.

The following spring in March I had one Night Breaker H7 bulb die on me and I had to replace it. That happened again the fall of 2011 and now fall of 2012. Every time a different Night Breaker H7 bulb died on my car.

I was initially quite relaxed until I noticed on my second Night Breaker H7 that it was not the filament but the base of the H7 connector. Every time one died it was the connector. I would be worried right now if I had not remembered that my first pair was Night Breaker H7 and NOT Night Breaker Plus H7. The difference is that the first model had regular silver connector with plastic base and the new and improved model has ceramic base and gold plated connectors. Well...that did not do any good for my beloved Osram Night Breakers.

I bought one replacement this last time (and at EUR10 per bulb they are not inexpensive) just because my only choice was to revert to my OEM bulbs and light output. This is the last time I will do this, what you do with your money is your business.

This is a true testimony drawn from my two years of experience with Osram Night Breaker H7 and I approve this message.

Take care and love thy Honda.

·
Mondeo Mann is here!!
1,333 Posts
I had Night breakers on my Civic and they last 2yrs before they went, when i changed to a Focus i replaced the standard bulbs for H7 Night breaker plus and they were still going good when i sold it after 12mths and i've now had H7 Night breaker plus in my Mondeo since April and they're still great.

Touch wood, never had any issue with them

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I had Philips Diamond Vision H7's on my last Civic, they were in there for 4 years with no failures. I took them out when I sold the car. Still going strong and looking good in my Boxster now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I can only say that you have been fortunate at least. The reason why your bulbs may have endured for so many month is your country's regulation for daylight driving. In Macedonia all drivers must use low beams during the day within city limits as well as on highways. Are you guys driving with your low beams during the day?

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
I use performance bulbs and I drive with my low beams on all the time.

If the bulb gets dirt or oil on it, it will shorten its life.

I have had performance bulbs in my car for 1 year and they still go strong.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Same experience here. I bought Nightbreakers last winter, and they last 6 months, so I went back to standard Osram with 3 years warranty. It ain´t that fun changing Bulbs on a Civic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you 10neon my point exactly, its a fuss doing it and it costs money as well. It seems like the Nighbreakers have a design flaw because they fail at the base of their connectors. Osram launched a revamped version with gold connectors and a ceramic base but there's still no love from the bulbs.

It is the DRL issue because it puts a straiin on the bulbs so I am thinking of finding a good and powerful position light which can pass during the day as DRL. We'll see..

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
I have the 'Original' Nightbreakers - main beam - fitted in 2009 and still impeccable ...

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
It is the DRL issue because it puts a straiin on the bulbs so I am thinking of finding a good and powerful position light which can pass during the day as DRL. We'll see..
While i have not been using the same bulbs i do drive with my low beams on where ever i drive as i have no DRLs(yet) and have had no issue, same with my older car too.

Having a overly powerful sidelight(more than 5w draw) will cause issues.

Their are 2 people that make DRL kits.
Bog and Atomic i think are the ones.

Their kits are not that bad from the reviews.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
While i have not been using the same bulbs i do drive with my low beams on where ever i drive as i have no DRLs(yet) and have had no issue, same with my older car too.

Having a overly powerful sidelight(more than 5w draw) will cause issues.

Their are 2 people that make DRL kits.
Bog and Atomic i think are the ones.

Their kits are not that bad from the reviews.
How will that cause issues?
Your sidelights come on when your headlights do, therefore your alternator provides the current, not your battery

·
Super Moderator
7,127 Posts
Sidelights and its fuses along with its wiring harness is not designed for large current draw.

Seen these T10 like halogen bulbs that draw 25w.

I am sure there are legal issues with having main beam like side lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts