2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought that would get your attention! I've just been looking at reader reviews on the Whatcar website for other cars I considered such as the Corolla, the Mazda 3, the Focus, the Golf, the A3, etc. It appears that they all have their fair share of problems as well, such as poor panel fit (Golf), condensation & rain staining seats (Corolla), rattles, squeaks, poor build quality & road noise (Corolla, Mazda 3, Golf, Focus & A3). Taken together with the problems I have found in forums with the Leon (as well as niggles such as joke glovebox, small boot, lack of spare wheel, dim reversing lights), I can only say that perhaps there is no such thing as a truly well built, reliable, small family car. Suddenly I feel a lot happier about the Civic!:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes you're right doc'

My last car was an Alfa 147 and whilst it was fantastic to drive and to look at it was decidedly fragile in its build quality. You can only speak from experience and so far my Honda experience has been positive, long may it continue.

ps, I would still buy another Alfa though as they just sound and drive so well. [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've beent rying to say this for ages. The Civic may have a few issues for some of us, but this happens with all cars.

·
Fallen Angel
1,229 Posts
Personally i don't know why sooooo many people are moaning about the teething probs on their civics......my saffy is adorable and i wouldn't swap her for any other car on the planet....well except a Bugatti Veyron...Hey FAther christmas i have been a good girl this year!!:D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Personally i don't know why sooooo many people are moaning about the teething probs on their civics......my saffy is adorable and i wouldn't swap her for any other car on the planet....well except a Bugatti Veyron...Hey FAther christmas i have been a good girl this year!!:D
Santa says a Veyron won't fit in your stocking :p

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts

Well perhaps if you had nothing but problems for 9 months with your adorable saffy you would moan too - unless of course you class needing a replacement car due to constant and dangerous problems as just a teething problem! And then of course you take delivery of your lovely new replacement car to go and have more problems yet again, broken climate control, more radio problems, suspect paintwork, I could go on but dont want to "moan" too much. Bear in mind that some of the problems people complain about are more than just "teething problems"!

Unless you have had problems (and I don't mean minor ones) you dont have the slightest idea how stressful and frustrating it is to pay for a new car and then spend the next 9 months complaining, waiting for things to be sorted out, being the one constantly chasing and making the calls and writing letters and being made to feel like a pain in the neck. i change my car on average every 7 years, I need to have a car that is working correctly in every way if it is to last me that long.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was driven today in a year old Avensis. Upon opening the boot door, there was a horrible creaking noise, worse on some of the yugo's (but this is TOYOTA AVENSIS we're talking about here :eek: ) .

Gave a pat on my civic's boot door/shower for being soo smooth :)

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
Well perhaps if you had nothing but problems for 9 months with your adorable saffy you would moan too - unless of course you class needing a replacement car due to constant and dangerous problems as just a teething problem! And then of course you take delivery of your lovely new replacement car to go and have more problems yet again, broken climate control, more radio problems, suspect paintwork, I could go on but dont want to "moan" too much. Bear in mind that some of the problems people complain about are more than just "teething problems"!

Unless you have had problems (and I don't mean minor ones) you dont have the slightest idea how stressful and frustrating it is to pay for a new car and then spend the next 9 months complaining, waiting for things to be sorted out, being the one constantly chasing and making the calls and writing letters and being made to feel like a pain in the neck. i change my car on average every 7 years, I need to have a car that is working correctly in every way if it is to last me that long.
I appreciate what you're saying topcat, seems you have been very unfortunate so far, hope you have things more or less resolved. Just hope people don't get put off all together by the negative posts on here. You're right to voice your opinions though.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I appreciate what you're saying topcat, seems you have been very unfortunate so far, hope you have things more or less resolved. Just hope people don't get put off all together by the negative posts on here. You're right to voice your opinions though.
Thank you :) and as I have said before I actually would buy another one!! (minus faults of course) I really do like the car just not the problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was driven today in a year old Avensis. Upon opening the boot door, there was a horrible creaking noise, worse on some of the yugo's (but this is TOYOTA AVENSIS we're talking about here :eek: ) .

Gave a pat on my civic's boot door/shower for being soo smooth :)

Agreed.

I drive a lot of hire cars with work and I can tell you there isn't much better than the Civic.

The Toyota Avensis was a complete dissapointment. It felt like driving a boat at 70mph! I had to continuosly compensate with the steering wheel to keep it in a straight line. As for the SAAB!!! I thought they were supposed to be prestige! pft, I had a Saab 93 turbo and it was hideous. Cruise controls and trim ripped straight out of the Vectra and the electric mirror controls were taken out of the old Cavalier! I couldn't believe it. The worst thing of all was the brakes, they felt dangerously crap (couldn't think of a better word). It should be noted as well, for arguments sake; all of the hire cars are less than twelve months old with no more than 13000 miles.

A lot of people on this forum just don't realise how lucky they are.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When you look at the number of members on this forum (4025 as of the moment) and then equate that to how many 06+ Civics have been sold in Europe. I think you will find that although not insignificant, the number of complaints on here are a minor number as a percentage of sales. I'm not saying that ANY complaint should be ignored, but most items on here are design faults rather than manufacturing defect. Honda have specified low quality plastic for the dash. Microphones should have been relocated for voice recognition. Audio quality has been specified too low. All of these items are more about cut corners than defect. Honda will get quality issues sorted in the end (even if we have to beat them with a big stick!).
The main concerns are physical defect such as badly fitted windscreens, Bad Welding on bodywork, suspension knocks, bangs and creaks, things that come off in your hand, filler caps that get stuck! etc. These are all the types of items that purchasers are suffering from all manufacturers. This forum just highlights the Civic, but go on the Vauxhall/Opel, Saab, Toyota, BMW, Mitsubishi, Merc, VW/Audi forums. You will see all of the same complaints comming up.

Don't let Civinfo put anyone off. Its just given me an informed choice.
The forum is also a source of inspiration when it comes to DIY modifications and improvements. Its also a friendly place, in which you can share your troubles and a few light hearted moments with new and old friends.

PS. I like Knockers! Ooer missus!

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
When you look at the number of members on this forum (4025 as of the moment) and then equate that to how many 06+ Civics have been sold in Europe. I think you will find that although not insignificant, the number of complaints on here are a minor number as a percentage of sales.

I dont think you can judge by that as there are a lot of members of this forum who have registered an then never returned or who have not been on here for months and months.

I have had provate messages from people who have had many problems and a couple of have even got rid of the car but have chosen not to say so publicly on the forum.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
oh crumbs
Next you will be wanting a white christmas;)

i have been a good girl this year!!
Hmmm who told you that??[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts

TC - you leave Sj alone :eek:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I dont think you can judge by that as there are a lot of members of this forum who have registered an then never returned or who have not been on here for months and months.

I have had private messages from people who have had many problems and a couple of have even got rid of the car but have chosen not to say so publicly on the forum.
Hi TC, what i meant was that even 4000+ members, is not so much when you think of the amount sold. Some people have real Lemons and others buy their dream car! Generally if you own a dream car, you don't bother with the forums (unless you own a Vauxhall Vectra it would appear!)

Some People are just moaners and some people have genuine complaints. Hopefully the latter get some helpful advice and timely resolution.

I actually feel comforted to know that other people have had problems resolved or have found DIY solutions and bypassed Honda.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts