1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now have 3 iCDTi on the driveway

05CRV, 09CRV and 08FRV.

The FRV is a used (only 29000km!) one and looks like new
Bought from my trusted dealer
The FRV drives really well,
Mini review:
Very good suspension and due to the wide track very stable cornering.
Despite the fact that the FRV weight is about the same like the CRV, the engine is very responsive.
The steering is a bit more direct then the CRV and the wheel is smaller
There is not a single rattle or squeak
The driver position is a bit strange at the start, but you get used to it very fast, ( you can never compare the CRV or other SUV driving position to any "regular" car ).
Only downside I find are the "thinner" doors, they feel light and not so solid like the CRV
But this is the price to pay for 1 extra person in the front..
The 6 indepenent seats are great and the front centre seat has a lot of extra functions (armrest, table, 4 cup holders, storage..)
Some picts (it is a comfort version)
I think to add roof bars and alu wheels.
Mods to do: Homing lights, and very important lit the LEDs in the side mirrors, so others see how wide they stick out in the dark.
Floor lights and some other stuff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Another nice car mate!

I really like the FRV and is is a great colour.... will be interested in seeing the mods you do Stef :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
I always liked the look of the FR-V but never had the chance to drive one :rolleyes:

Too bad they didn't replace it ... and imported the 4wd version (it was available in Japan).

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed I know about the 4WD in Japan, real shame we did not get it

I talked to a Japanese Honda director 1.5y ago, and he said that the car was too wide for the Euro market. (Note that the CRV is 1cm wider but not at the top)
I think for some it looked too strange for the general public
3 front seats never where a hit, also Fiat stopped the type

Also strange they did not test the US market.
Anyhow glad we got one in very very good condition.
I do think I like the CRV ride more.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
The 'Fat Jazz' has always had a strange reception by the public but has a core following none the less.

Typically, no sooner than it was withdrawn, everyone wanted one.

No confirmed news of a replacement but i'm sure Honda have something up their sleeves for the future.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha, fat Jazz, nice

Indeed you like it or not, most like it but find the car too wide.
Actually it is very practical indeed actually about same interiour space like CRV but rear seats can go completely flat in the booth

This type of cars is what Honda needs, no need to compete with all the mainstream cars... It also "feels" silent, due to all the felt-fabric in seats and doors, compared to poor noise absorbing leather and glass roof in my CRV.
I wonder why all EX cars come with leather, I would trade the cold in winter and warm in summer leather for the comfy FRV felt in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Ha, fat Jazz, nice

It also "feels" silent, due to all the felt-fabric in seats and doors, compared to poor noise absorbing leather and glass roof in my CRV.
I never thought of that... so thats way my new Civic seems nosier than my old EX ... Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Some update:
Installed roof bars (got a great deal on them)

Installed Garmin GPS, amazing unit (for 155€!!):
Handfree phone, Speed cams, ultra sensitive GPS (works even indoors), automatic ON/Off with ignition (not possible with any TomTom), TMC...

Modified the front map lights, they come on when doors open and bulbs are LEDs.

Side mirror LEDs come on (faintly), acting as postioning lights, I think very usefull for a wide car.

To do: Homing lights, floor lights

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some update:
Installed roof bars (got a great deal on them)

Installed Garmin GPS, amazing unit (for 155€!!):
Handfree phone, Speed cams, ultra sensitive GPS (works even indoors), automatic ON/Off with ignition (not possible with any TomTom), TMC...

Modified the front map lights, they come on when doors open and bulbs are LEDs.

Side mirror LEDs come on (faintly), acting as postioning lights, I think very usefull for a wide car.

To do: Homing lights, floor lights
How did you get the map lights to turn on when the doors open?
Is it complicated rerouting?

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will post a short how to on this.
but this week end and next week end I am not at home, so please a bit patience...
Stef

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So sorry, forgot completely! (age you know) :confused:

Will try to make it this week end!

·
Big T
1,554 Posts
very nice motor......:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just on the point of FRV being too wide actually it is exactly the same width as Ford Mondeo !!!!

I agree that doors feel light (My other car is A3 and has solid doors infact too heavy) but that's price tp pay for 6 seats...

I am really enjoying the FRV 2.2 CDTI and glad that did not go for Quashqai +2!!!

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks and feels wide since the top of the car does not narrow
So it is wider than most cars on the roof line
But I like this look and our FRV is a joy to drive! The diesel is great in this car
Enjoy your FRV!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts