2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On recent occasions my civic is showing a higher temperature outside especially when i know its colder. it does level out when i drive out and about but, shall i get it checked is it common to be have inconsistent readings. Going in for a service soon would you ask them to check it ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The owner manual states the temp is higher when you stand still because the sensor is behind the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I think its a fault with the sensor mine does the same, especially when cold. It seems over the summer to be pretty accurate but the fault with it is when it gets really cold it just doesnt work. Last year when it was about -10 outside it was showing +45c. But like i say over the summer and the warmer temperatures its seemed fine so will see what it does this winter!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
as said common fault mine did this and was replaced but still think its is very optimistic

·
Registered
353 Posts
Whilst I agree that there is a problem with the outside temp sensor, especially when showing +45 when it is freezing outside, all the cars I've driven with a sensor shows a higher temperature than expected when returning after parking it for some time with a hot engine.

It is even worse on a hot sunny day. However, when restarting the engine and driving the car for a few minutes the temperature can drop by several degrees and remains fairly constant.

I don't know about earlier 8th gen civics but on the 09 upgrade it is possible to adjust the outside temperature reading by + 3 degrees using the trip computor menu.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts