2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last 2 weeks my Outside Temperture Gause has been show some Strange readings.. Just a little bit higher than normal

Yesterday it started to display 50c... and up it went :(

So any ideas what the problem could me... car is still in warrenty so not so much of a problem. Sould i leave it to the next service (due in 4000 miles) or is it a sign of a bigger problem starting

Thanks for the help

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Just a faulty temperature probe, a lot of people have had them playing up recently. Should be covered by warrenty I would have thought.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I've had this, it is a faulty exterior temperature sensor, you'll find it messes up your heating too as the car thinks its 50 degrees outside it'll blow cold air apart from on the HI setting. I had mine replaced under Warrenty.

Outside temperature reading too high - Civinfo Wiki

Reactions: henbury

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks People.... Going get my baby booked for some TLC :D

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I thought only the interior temperature sensor affects the temperature of the climate control?
Nope - the car needs to know if it should heat or cool the outside air in order to maintain the inside temperature

for example if it's 5 degrees outside (actual) and you want the interior temperature to be 21 degrees then the climate control unit will need to heat the outside temperature. However, if the external temperature sensor is broken and reads 50 degrees then the climate control unit will think it needs to cool the outside air in order to maintain the internal temperature at 21 degrees - hence it will blow freezing air into the cabin :(

Reactions: foxzbury

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope - the car needs to know if it should heat or cool the outside air in order to maintain the inside temperature

for example if it's 5 degrees outside (actual) and you want the interior temperature to be 21 degrees then the climate control unit will need to heat the outside temperature. However, if the external temperature sensor is broken and reads 50 degrees then the climate control unit will think it needs to cool the outside air in order to maintain the internal temperature at 21 degrees - hence it will blow freezing air into the cabin :(
Think you could be right - i have to have the heater controls set to manual to get any heat out of it....:(

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts

Ah, true. What clever little cars we have :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts