2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since owning my type r the outside temperature sensor has not displayed the correct temperature. This didn't really bother me until it started giving me ice warnings.
The temperature outside today is 13 degrees. Yet on my display its saying 1-3 degrees. I have mucked about with the settings in the menu, but no joy there.

Is it a faulty sensor or is there something I haven't covered?

As always help is greatly appreciated.:D

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Since owning my type r the outside temperature sensor has not displayed the correct temperature. This didn't really bother me until it started giving me ice warnings.
The temperature outside today is 13 degrees. Yet on my display its saying 1-3 degrees. I have mucked about with the settings in the menu, but no joy there.

Is it a faulty sensor or is there something I haven't covered?

As always help is greatly appreciated.:D
i'd put some switch cleaner in the plug on the outside sensor first, just incase is corroded and is causing a high Resistance in the pug to ecu,,, on bmw's this sensor in linked to the ecu for fueling,,, ie cold air is dense air and adjusts fuel to suit. so could also effect mpg when faulty... the system prob runs off resistance the resistance changes in that sensor when it gets hot or cold... test this with ohms setting on a meter and some hot water or a deep freeze.. resistance should change

and before someone pulls me up on the fact there is a manifold temp sensor as well yes there is,,,

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is the sensor on the R linked to the engine management for fuel air mix???

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
If it's any help, my outside temperature gauge went on my type s gt around September last year and a few months later the air conditioning stopped working and when that was repaired, everything worked as normal

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
ambient air temp is used on a lot of car's ecu setting's,,, at a guess i'd say the type R would prob have this monitoring circuit, to try help trim air fuel mixture and how dense the ambient air is out side the inlet manifold,,, like i said remove it and test it or go breakers and aske them nicely if you could try a sensor before buying it, see if your gauge goes back to where it should be.... to test sensor follow below instructions,,
Outside Air Temperature Sensor Test

1. Remove the outside air temperature sensor.
resistance= 1k.=40c
11k.= -10
so read resistance on sensor 1,ohm = 40c
11 ohm= -10 freezing.
so any thing in between is on a rising scale chart...
if i could work out how to post pictures on this website i'd post a copy of info

2. Dip the sensor in ice water, and measure the resistance. Then pour warm water on the sensor, and check for a change in resistance.

3. Compare the resistance reading between the No. 1 and No. 2 terminals of the outside air temperature sensor with the specifications shown in the graph; the resistance should be within the specifications.

4. If the resistance is not as specified, replace the out side air temperature sensor.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. I'm going to have a go at it next weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After finally getting round to sorting mine I definitely believe this to be the case. Mine's just a 1.8 petrol, not a Type R, but basically ever since I've had the car the outside temp gauge has been showing dodgy readings. Decided to just put up with it for months but it was finally annoying me that much I put a new one in. After months of the car thinking it was -40 and struggling to get over 35mpg I have now had 44mpg on both tanks I've used since replacing the sensor. And my aircon works!! I am finally getting the combination of a bit of power and acceptable economy that I thought I was buying last March :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem, reading roughly 10 degrees below what it should, not the usual -40 degrees problem.

Does anyone have a photo to show where the external temperature sensor is located? I read its somewhere behind the front bumper, but its quite small?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Photo is in the second post down bud. If you get on your knees on the drivers side of the bumper and look up past the plastic mesh you will see it. I changed mine and went from 22-23.5 mpg to 26-28 mpg with the same style of driving. Oh and it now reads correct!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if it's a faulty sensor, but might be worth checking it.

It's located here:
Hi! Thanks for the pic about the Honda civic outside temperature sensor. I would like to know if you can tell me where the temperature sensor is plugged to. The temperature sensor is missing in my car

·
Registered
2 Posts
The piece of loom the sensor plugs into is quite long. When I bought my car the temperatures were all over the place. After removing the bumper to replace the sensor we found it was missing. It turned out someone had broken the clip the sensor mounts to so rather than sort it they'd just unclipped the previous clips to give some slack and dropped it through a hole into the engine bay, where it was hanging loose. So yours could be similar? The loom comes through broadly under the indicator so start looking there and see if you can find it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts