2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, 1st post on this cool site, have been lurking for a few days now...

I have done nearly 100 miles in my civic now and love the car to bits, however, I am a little dissapointed with some aspects.

I see there are a few of you who have experiences problems, as have I. Mine has had to have the tail-gate re-fitted as it was put on wonky and was making a racket, the flappy storage area under the boot didn't fit and wouldn't locate in it's catches, and the speedo is really innacurate - more than 10% at some lower speeds! There seems to be a whole orchesture or rattles and creaks from various parts of the car and the fuel economy is WAY below what I expected, barely managing 31mpg!

I had the previous model civic 1.6 iVTEC Sport 3dr before this and never had any problems. Well, the n/s door started to rattle just before I traded it in, but apart from that it was fine.

I just feel al little let down by the buid quality of this car and some of the materials used. And honda customer care has been dreadful at best.

I would really like to hear some of your opinions on the matter.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
It seems to be a growing trend this - there's a small proportion of cars that seem to have a large number of problems... What is frustrating is that some faults like rattles are very hard to fix - and it's upsetting to know that most people have totally rattle-free cars.

FWIW, my speedo was very inaccurate in the first 500 miles, but it got much better (now within 3 mph). My car is an EX (with GPS) and there is a feature in the diagnostic menu that shows how the car compensates for tyre wear, so I'm guessing it gradually re-calibrated to the correct setting. Not sure if it is GPS dependant, but try giving it 500 miles and see if it improves.

Likewise, the economy will be shocking for 100 miles, poor for 1500 and will be about right at 3000+. Give the car time to run in (gasses are escaping past the piston rings and combustion efficiency is low).

But rattles and the like - these need your skill to persuade the dealer to fix it! I always use the very polite but very persistent approach - normally works.

Finally - welcome! Hope you like it here.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Welcome to the site - is it maybe a bad time of year for rattles/creaks - I've noticed a few over the last few days and wondering whether it's just down to the current heatwave we are having here in the UK at the moment i.e. things expanding!!!

My gear knob came loose on me twice now due to the heat, quite a challenge to get it TIGHT but keep it straight again!!! :)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Welcome Bungle, I also found that the fuel economy was poor to begin with, but it is improving with every tank full, I think you need to give it time.

The speedo seems to be a common cause of complaint, but I can not share in anyones frustrations at this, we all know that speedos under read a little, so we are not at risk from breaking the law with this, it just means 30 might be nearer 27 than it was in the last car. In the bigger scheme of things I doubt it will make us late for anything.

I actually set the cruise control just above the 70mph, although based on pottsys thoughts I need to keep any eye on that if the speedo gets more and more accurate, might be hard explaining that one away to the magistrate. :oops:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the feedback. I think I came across rather negative in my first post, so I'll just say agin that I do love the car, it's just it has more 'issues' than I ever imagined it would.

With regards to the poor MPG figures, I will also hazard a guess pointing at the creak inducing hot weather we have been having, along with my fridge-like preference for cooler cimate control settings!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just to let you know -

My Golf MK5 is around 10% out at 30mph as well. as is my wife's Nissan X-trail.

It seems to be very common.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I think the problem with the speedo is just that is says you are doing 42 when on a speedo with a pointer you are doing 'just over 40' so the error is less obvious

Mal

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
I had a few squeaks and rattles early on but they 'settled in' some had a helping hand along the way :wink:
Now with all the 'junk' I don't have any noticable noises, that's kids for ya! :lol:

As for the speedo, I know mine over quotes speed as opposed to understating so no risk of a ticket (he hopes) It has got better as the miles creeped up, and now I've swapped tyres with the rear it's worse again :roll:
My guess is that with the range of tyres the car has to work things out, not a normal car feature as the speedo usually just quotes gearbox output rpm.
Still a cracking motor and can only get better.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
The climate control system is a killer for good mpg figures. I reckon it knocks off 7 - 10 mpg. Try doing a couple of miles with it off and watch the immediate mpg go up! I tried this to-day (opened the window instead) and the immediate figure climed from around 30-34 mpg to 40-42 mpg.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
That's interesting Woolyciv. My mpg dropped has dropped from 40mpg to around 35mpg at the moment. I always have the climate control on auto all the time and have noticed from outside the car it's working overtime with the high temperatures we're having. I was wondering why I had such a sudden hit to my mpg

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Struggling around 43 at the moment, mind you all been around town, no decent run. Off to Birmingham on Thursday, will see then.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm getting around 41 mpt with my 2.2. Mostly around town and on short runs and only 100 miles on the clock.

However this is an amazing figure for me as I doubt if my petrol Accord ever saw much over 30 mpg throughout it's life. I am not known for having a light right foot!

Which means that once the diesel is run in I can see me using all the torgue and reducing the mpg proportionately.

·
Registered
115 Posts
About the quality, mine seems to have the odd minor creak from the rear somewhere when pulling off and going over big bumps but I don't think it is coming from the shocks....just plastic mouldings around the back of the car. Having said that they are very minor and do not bother me .... I will get the dealer to check it out at the first service.

About the mpg, I get 45mpg at an 80 speedo mph cruise to London and 44mpg with the climate on. In town I get 35mpg with it off and 33mpg with it on.

So I average 40mpg with the climate on and about 42mpg with it off. Perhaps you guys who have experienced bigger drops are putting your foot down more to compensate for the flatter throttle response with the aircon unit on...I certainly noticed that you need to give it more welly!

:)

Oh, forgot to say, 1.8 ES

·
Registered
87 Posts
4000 miles up and it's settling down to about 52-53 based on brim to brim calculations. Mostly motorway, twisty country roads and busy A roads with minimal town driving. Lots of A/C use to keep the greenhouse cool over the past month.

I don't particularly boot it but then I don't tootle around at 40 either. :wink:

Quality wise, it's everything I expected a Honda to be. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts