2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps stupidly I've managed to overfill the engine oil by 500ml above max line, last time I check or top up oil at such a late hour of day !

Am I within a safe overfill tolerance?
I have a peela suction kit however I have lent it out and would have to travel 60miles to collect to drain from dip stick!

Really irritating as I've only wacked in new oil two months ago. I really must get my eyes checked lol

·
i-Vtec
3,492 Posts
IMO, no it needs removed. Extra oil can lead to a build up of extra crank case pressure and it turn can force oil past seals. If it was me id get a clean jug, or your oil can and a funnel, drain some from the sump plug and recheck the levels and adjust to suit. A neighbor once did similar with their car, I jacked up the front, stuck a pan underneath and unscrewed the oil filter and emptied the extra from the oil filter. Replace oil filter, start engine, remove filter, drain filter, repeat until enough removed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers das its irritating but my own fault!

I got two options;

A) drive it steady about 60 miles and get the drain

B) pop down to euro car parts some 2 miles away grab some oil & filter & get the local mechanic to just change the oil

Unfortunately I have no tools where I am at the moment

·
4,586 Posts
How about getting "the local mechanic" to drain off some oil, rather than doing another oil change?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fn2 is 4.5-5 litres. How much exactly did you put in?

How far over the top circle is it on the dip stick?

I got work done by Grinspeed recently including a baffle/fd2 oil pump so we discussed oil levels for road and track. He said they normally fill it half way between the top circle and the twist for track days, i.e. over fill it so the pump can always pick up even in high g-force situations.

500ml might not be enough to do damage, it's only if you drastically over fill it that its going to blow seals and mess up the pressure.

Mine is currently over the top of the top circle, by about 2-3mm. And I'll probably top it up a bit more for a track day, as it'll drink that pretty quick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think you'd be ok with 5.5 litres, maybe even 6, but if its way over the first twist in the dip stick, probably best to get some taken out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it's drained now I normally keep it at the max line although must say once removed the engine is very tappy think I need to get those valve clearances done asap

Poor1 I have an oil extractor unfortunately just not with me !

I used to use it on the Skoda vrs often.
On that engine the oil filter was next to engine no going underneath. Oil changes were s piece of cake

·
i-Vtec
3,492 Posts
I remember back in the day in a mates MK21600 sport, oil light came on so he got out, took oil from the boot, popped the bonnet added a healthy dose and we drove off. We got about 100m and it was like a Red Arrows show....... The Smoke was pouring out the exhaust. It wasn't needing oil, just a faulty oil pressure switch and the oil was forced passed the rings and burned out the exhaust. We had a good laugh about it latter lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah it's drained now I normally keep it at the max line although must say once removed the engine is very tappy think I need to get those valve clearances done asap

Poor1 I have an oil extractor unfortunately just not with me !

I used to use it on the Skoda vrs often.
On that engine the oil filter was next to engine no going underneath. Oil changes were s piece of cake
Out of interest, how much did it cost to get it drained and where did you do it?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
£10 just went to local garage, drained from sump. It's virtually new Fuchs fluid

·
Registered
82 Posts
£10 just went to local garage, drained from sump. It's virtually new Fuchs fluid
That is not too bad.

It's fairly easy to drain yourself if you've got axle stands, but for a £10, I'd get someone else to do it too :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yh exactly man it was raining outside and would have cost me more to go and retrieve my tools thought sod it let the garage sort it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts