2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving today and my temp gauge went up to the maximum I was 2 mins from home so gently eased the car back and I am currently waiting to check the level of coolant need it to cool down first I just put it in a month ago the coolant

What would cause this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I was driving today and my temp gauge went up to the maximum I was 2 mins from home so gently eased the car back and I am currently waiting to check the level of coolant need it to cool down first I just put it in a month ago the coolant

What would cause this.

Thanks
There could be a number of causes:

- Could be low on coolant (most likely cause)
- There may be air in the coolant system
- Head gasket may have gone, pressurising the coolant system.

First thing to check would be the coolant level. I would also be getting the car checked at Honda to see if the overheating has caused any other problems

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm hoping it's a fan switch or thermostat or coolant level.
Of it was the head gasket wouldn't there be visible white smoke and running issues. The cars driving idling and no visible smoke. Worried that I just topped up the radiator and it could possibly be low on coolant that can't be right

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Thanks. I'm hoping it's a fan switch or thermostat or coolant level.
Of it was the head gasket wouldn't there be visible white smoke and running issues. The cars driving idling and no visible smoke. Worried that I just topped up the radiator and it could possibly be low on coolant that can't be right
You need to make sure the radiator is full of coolant but you also need to make sure the white reserve tank behind the radiator is also filled correctly. Between minimum and maximum is best as it fluctuates up and down with the engine running. Might be worth checking all your fuses and relays as well.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You may have a valve issue where its stuck shut, I had this on my previous car. The valve opens when the water in the engine block is hot and then taking in more water from the rad.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
i have previously owned an MG ZR which in 6 months had 2 head gaskets blow , if its head gasket you would have oil in water or water in the oil , check the white expansion tank and radiator cap for oil contamination this could be in the form of mayo a yellow/white foamy substance or brown/black oil deposits if thats ok check the dipstick and oil filler cap again any mayo would normally be HG issue

if all is clean and well and you have no smoke or idle problems then i would say its not HG and could be thermostat ,external leak or air in system as others have said :)

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I'd say the most likely causes would be a stuck thermostat or fans not kicking in. Have you checked to make sure both fans are turning OK?

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
If you were driving and not idling it won't be the fan as this won't engage whilst air is flowing over the rad, especially not with current temperatures.

Can't be coincident that you filled coolant recently so I'd say that or you left rad cap off slightly or have a leak etc.

If that happens in future heaters on full blast into the cabin may save you a new engine, just a small tip, obviously if its red hot stopping is best bet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I topped it up today and the temps not went back up but it must have a leak as I was filled to the brim 2 weeks ago. I'm in the middle of moving house this weekend so il keep a close eye on it and inspect it early next week hopefully it's a perished hose and I can buy a nice coloured hose kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts