2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to all Type R owners!

I was just wondering how long you plan to keep your Type R?

I am looking to keep my Type R for years!
In 3-4 years i will probably buy another car but i am planning to keep the Type R!

My Type R is kept in a garage with its own thermostatic controlled heating system, it will be kept there through the worst of the winter weather!

I just hope Honda's are as reliable as every body says!

·
Banned
477 Posts
My Type R is kept in a garage with its own thermostatic controlled heating system, it will be kept there through the worst of the winter weather!

I just hope Honda's are as reliable as every body says!
You can rely on any car as long as you keep it locked in a garage!:rolleyes:
I don't think it is a good idea not to drive the car (unless you are sparing it for far future, but there are some precautions to preserve the car).
If you will drive it in spring, remember to operate the engine now and then. Not only for the sake of charging the battery, but to save the timing belt life too. My previous car was left in a garage for about 4 months, and when I returned home, I started the engine, headed for the service for some maintenance and right after I entered the service, the timing belt broke! The result was, as you know, a new set of valves!
But the thing is, it broke almost halfway before its proposed lifetime! The reason behind was, most probably, prolonged static position had introduced resilient stresses in the timing belt. No abnormal wearing signs etc. were observed, that might have caused the early failure.
This might not always be the case, but be aware when you are going to leave the car unattended for a long time..

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can rely on any car as long as you keep it locked in a garage!:rolleyes:
I don't think it is a good idea not to drive the car (unless you are sparing it for far future, but there are some precautions to preserve the car).
If you will drive it in spring, remember to operate the engine now and then. Not only for the sake of charging the battery, but to save the timing belt life too. My previous car was left in a garage for about 4 months, and when I returned home, I started the engine, headed for the service for some maintenance and right after I entered the service, the timing belt broke! The result was, as you know, a new set of valves!
But the thing is, it broke almost halfway before its proposed lifetime! The reason behind was, most probably, prolonged static position had introduced resilient stresses in the timing belt. No abnormal wearing signs etc. were observed, that might have caused the early failure.
This might not always be the case, but be aware when you are going to leave the car unattended for a long time..

I don`t plan to leave it the garage for months at a time,
I will drive it as often as weather permits.
Here in Central Scotland we haven't had heavy snow that hasn't gone away in about 2-3 week for years!

Thanks Mate!

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I planned to keep my Mini, but the price I was getting for it was just too good to pass up on (plus little things were starting to go wrong with it)

I will have the CTR for a good few years I think. Dealer was going on about trading in, in 3 years. Thats not going to happen. If I love the car and its reliable then there will be no need to change it dead on 3 years for me. I may even keep it and buy something else like you say.

I'm dreading winter though, the Mini was a nightmare like it would just keep sliding, like out the drive with handbrake on and in gear lol! I'll make sure that the CTR is not on the slope part of the drive

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I plan to keep it until they bring out a better Typre R, so could be a while. It is hard to improve such a good car. I owned a 2002 Type R and they are so different, the new Type R is very comfortable and refined.
i do not find the ride hard or uncomfortable even though i have 19" rage. I must admit and this sounds strange but after getting used to the old Type R and its aggressive power and not so comfortable ride, the new car just doesnt feel like a sports car, i do not want to drive it hard all the time like i did with the old one. However in saying that, when opened up it does go and sounds ace.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm dreading winter though, the Mini was a nightmare like it would just keep sliding, like out the drive with handbrake on and in gear lol! I'll make sure that the CTR is not on the slope part of the drive

I am all set for winter,
I also have Nissan Navara that has one of the best 4 wheel drive systems that i have driven,
Okay i have never driven it on snow or or ice yet,
but boy that thing is fun of road[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I am all set for winter,
I also have Nissan Navara that has one of the best 4 wheel drive systems that i have driven,
Okay i have never driven it on snow or or ice yet,
but boy that thing is fun of road[smilie=cheeky-grin:[/quote]

Good when you have another car that can probably cope a hell of a let better than the CTR will. If I can't use my CTR then the only other options I am left with are the BM's and thety are worse!

It will be interesting to see what its like in the winter, thats if e have a winter lol!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I also like to keep cars for a long time, if they are good. The Type R is great and I hope to be enjoying it for a good few years. A Honda owned from new should last well if looked after and you will know its history.

My record for keeping a car is 7 years and 110,000 miles - a 205Gti 1.9, it was in superb condition and still ran perfectly when I sold it for a bigger car. I wish I had had enough space to keep it as it put a smile on my face every time I drove it!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
The usual is 3 years ...keep up the service as required..all though if they bring a new model out it is worth considering changing. it upto yourself.
Had mine for over a week now and still having to adjust my driving to such a fast car.
Scary at times!!!

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Not a type R owner but both our Honda's share the garage year round
if there is snow then the CR-V will do it's stuff
(Normally trade in and buy new every 3 years)

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
I usually do about 25,000 a year changed from a 2.2 cdti after a year of ownership to the type-r.

I bought the 2.2 cdti because it looked like nothing else on the road and because the cabin was so futuristic. I bought the type-r because of its stunning looks and performance.

In terms of looks there is just nothing else out there at the moment that even comes close to it , i keep finding myself parking in empty areas of car parks just so i can get a good unobscured look at it on the walk back (and i have had it for six months)

other manufactures will really have to come out with something special for me to change, and from what i see so far everyone else is light years behind.

Probably keep it for another 3 years.

Does anyone know of any high mileage heroe examples of the previous type-r

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
on a side note i was amazed back in june when i took the type-r down to silverstone for the grand prix. We didnt see a single other type-r from the time we left aberdeen till the time we get back. Even now am am lucky if i see one every two weeks up here.

The dealer has said to me a couple of times that honda didnt plan to make many as they wanted to keep it a bit more exclusive and less common. Not sure if this is coorect or not

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
on a side note i was amazed back in june when i took the type-r down to silverstone for the grand prix. We didnt see a single other type-r from the time we left aberdeen till the time we get back. Even now am am lucky if i see one every two weeks up here.

The dealer has said to me a couple of times that honda didnt plan to make many as they wanted to keep it a bit more exclusive and less common. Not sure if this is coorect or not
Judging from the number of people on here waiting for type R's I've a sneaky feeling you'll start seeing a few more pretty soon.[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Considering that I'm doing 15,000 miles a year I may keep mine 4-5 years and sell it before the mileage gets too high. It of course depends on how reliable it is! I did look at putting it in the garage as I always garage my cars, but its a bit of a squeese and I may end up damaging it. It will go in but getting out with those wide doors and bucket seats, is like doing a magic trick, and escaping from a enclosed box while chained up! lol So on the drive way it is! The CTR are pretty wide!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, about 3-4 years - I hope and would have thought Honda will do what they did with the previous model after a few years, update it by giving it some extras. To be fair with the GT model Honda have provided a lot of the kit you could ever want. I can only think of maybe tinted windows, xenons and different wheels that they could offer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts