2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have recently baught a black type s. Iv only just given it its first proper wash and what a nightmare a black car is to clean:facepalm: with the sun out lol. I have noticed some imperfections, lack of shine on one panel, paint swirls and a few hairline scratches. Which iv tried to poilsh and wax but hasnt done alot.

Iv heard that most of this can be sorted by getting it professionally cut back and buffed or something at a bodyshop :confused:

Anyone had this done? Did it make a big difference and roughtly how much does it cost? If anyone can reccomend anywhere in Essex too would be grateful. Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
There's a cleaning section to the forum with a huge amount of information and knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing. I suggest you have a scan through some of the threads there ;)

What products are you using and what's your routine? Depending on how bad things are, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them out yourself with the right stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok i didnt realise, il have a lil look for that. Thanks

I jet the car to get the loose stuff off. Wash with warm water and Auto Glym shampoo. Rinse, leather dry, use autoglym super resin polish.

Its the rear quarter panel thats worse, seem duller than rest of car even after the following routine plus bit of t-cut and some wax. Thinking maybe its had a bit of bodywork there and paint isnt up to scratch or something

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't think SRP is abrasive enough by hand to be honest. You may need to use a DA. Is the panel in question a huge contrast from the surrounding panels because that would suggest a refinish? It would probably also benefit from a claying. Like I said though, there are members in the cleaning section of the forum a lot more knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts

I jet the car to get the loose stuff off. Wash with warm water and Auto Glym shampoo. Rinse, leather dry, use autoglym super resin polish.

Its the rear quarter panel thats worse, seem duller than rest of car even after the following routine plus bit of t-cut and some wax. Thinking maybe its had a bit of bodywork there and paint isnt up to scratch or something
i had a nighthawk black and mine had the rear quarter painted after an accident the colour never looked right and when the sun shined on it it looked a bit greyish,the one i have now as had the rear quarter painted the colour is spot on but i can still tell its had a repair.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts

Do you use a sponge?

Don't use leather to dry, you need microfibre cloths.

Civics paint is extremely thin. It takes a long time to clean these cars properly. If you don't do it right, you're going to swirl your car, and on black they're very noticeable.

With my last civic, I was a little naive, didn't clean properly. My car quickly became smothered with swirl marks and when the sun was on it, it looked awful. If you take the time and care to do it right; you'll be fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think SRP is abrasive enough by hand to be honest. You may need to use a DA. Is the panel in question a huge contrast from the surrounding panels because that would suggest a refinish? It would probably also benefit from a claying. Like I said though, there are members in the cleaning section of the forum a lot more knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing.

Oh ok. Yeah i will try a clay bar i think. not huge contrast, its just im quite picky and i can tell the difference when the suns shining, less of a shine and you dont get as clear a reflection in it if that makes sense, Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you use a sponge?

Don't use leather to dry, you need microfibre cloths.

Civics paint is extremely thin. It takes a long time to clean these cars properly. If you don't do it right, you're going to swirl your car, and on black they're very noticeable.

With my last civic, I was a little naive, didn't clean properly. My car quickly became smothered with swirl marks and when the sun was on it, it looked awful. If you take the time and care to do it right; you'll be fine.

Yeah i use a sponge. Oh really ok il buy one of those. Whats the best technique or way to avoid swirl marks? Also mine already has some, can you recomend anything that helps to get rid or fade them, thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.