2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

i went to car wash yesterday. I am using that car wash almost 2 years. The last year they replace the machine, and got additional brushes for cleaning underneath and cleaning rims.
Yesterday when i went to wash my car, everything was ok, until the car was finished. The sensors on the machine, didnt calculate my wheels exact position, and instead of the rims, the brushes start spinning on both half's on the front arches and half of the front doors. and now you can see the spinning circles on a bright day. I got the manager and he said that the vehicle will be polished on those spots.

So my question is, will the polishing those spots remove the scratches? (btw the scratches are not deep), and will the rest of the car be separated when the spots are polished? one side is shining, and the rest of the car not.... or i need to tell him to polish the hole vehicle?

Also what kind of polish do they need to use, not to ruin my original body gloss and paint?
Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Those car washes are terrible.

Get someone in, in front who's car is absolutely filthy with gritty paintwork and some of that grit stays on the brushes. That grit then scratches your paintwork when you go through as the brushes press it against the panels at high speed.

You should never use a machine wash if you want to keep your paintwork nice.

The best way of washing is contact less - get yourself a jet washer and snow foam lance. For those occasions when the above doesn't shift it (snow foam is only really a pre-wash although such as Auto Rae Chem are quite good as main washes) you want a good wash mist, 2 buckets with grit guards and to use the 2 bucket system AFTER the snow foam pre wash. Finally you either air blow using a blower or dab the car dry with quality microfibre towels.

As for the scratches, you can only really expect them to polish the affected panels not the whole car although over time the whole car probably has been swirled - unfortunately that's your fault for using the machine not theirs, so their liability stops at the panels affected by the wheel brush - unless the panels when polished are such a mismatch that the whole car needs to be done to make it look right.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
One of those machine car washers put a 20 inch scratch up the drivers side of the windscreen

NEVER EVER USE THEM

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those car washes are terrible.

Get someone in, in front who's car is absolutely filthy with gritty paintwork and some of that grit stays on the brushes. That grit then scratches your paintwork when you go through as the brushes press it against the panels at high speed.

You should never use a machine wash if you want to keep your paintwork nice.

The best way of washing is contact less - get yourself a jet washer and snow foam lance. For those occasions when the above doesn't shift it (snow foam is only really a pre-wash although such as Auto Rae Chem are quite good as main washes) you want a good wash mist, 2 buckets with grit guards and to use the 2 bucket system AFTER the snow foam pre wash. Finally you either air blow using a blower or dab the car dry with quality microfibre towels.

As for the scratches, you can only really expect them to polish the affected panels not the whole car although over time the whole car probably has been swirled - unfortunately that's your fault for using the machine not theirs, so their liability stops at the panels affected by the wheel brush - unless the panels when polished are such a mismatch that the whole car needs to be done to make it look right.
as you said, its not their fault, but its not mine ether... and if they polish the damaged parts, those will be more shiny, and the rest of the car will be old shine. so i will have a 3 years old car with mess up color and shining. So they will have to polish the whole vehicle, in order not to get two different colors...
my question was, if they polish the whole vehicle, will i have color issue within couple months, when the polish paste go out?

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
I would certainly not let a car wash company loose to polish any car. Did you ask how they are polishing it btw, by hand or machine and what products they are using. You could end up with the paint condition even worse than it is now

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would certainly not let a car wash company loose to polish any car. Did you ask how they are polishing it btw, by hand or machine and what products they are using. You could end up with the paint condition even worse than it is now
Well the deal was a professional polishing company to do the job, and i got it scheduled for this Tuesday. But somehow they change the deal, saying we have a guy that's a pro in this area, and that he will do the job. So i start arguing why they changed the plan, so i will see what will happens in Tuesday... so is it better to do it with a machine, or by hand?

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,655 Posts
Is this a wind up? They changed their mind in last hour or so (Sunday). If genuine then any marks would be polished by machine IMO.

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
Well the deal was a professional polishing company to do the job, and i got it scheduled for this Tuesday. But somehow they change the deal, saying we have a guy that's a pro in this area, and that he will do the job. So i start arguing why they changed the plan, so i will see what will happens in Tuesday... so is it better to do it with a machine, or by hand?
Yes by machine is the way to go, the difference is night and day. Good luck

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, guys, thanks a lot, one more question, can anyone tell me what kind of polish paste i need to look for?

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,655 Posts
I just talk woth the guy he said it will be polished with a machine with 3M polish paste
3M is widely used by bodyshops etc when they "mop" cars. Its all down to how good/patient/knowledgeable the person is who has hold of the machine.

pood luck.

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
I just talk woth the guy he said it will be polished with a machine with 3M polish paste
Really well that's ok then :rolleyes: seriously you need to know what pads and grade of polish he is using, if he goes to aggressive with the combo it will look a mess. Ask him how long it's going to take also. Polishing the whole car will take 8hrs easily and not forgetting that he needs to prep all the car first ie, detox it otherwise he will just be polishing the crap into the paint. Good luck

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
I got it sorted to be polished in spring... i found a guy that a lot of people told me that he is one of the best...

here is an example...
I thought the car wash manager was sorting someone to polish it for you, how come you've appointed someone? Is the detailer a pro, whats the company name? Just looking out for you mate. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts