2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the black paint is flaking off the mesh lower grille leaving patches of silvery bare metal :(

I havent used anything harsh to clean it and its not stone chips. The paint has lifted up and peeled off.

I'm going to get my dealer to take a look at it but i was wondering if anyone else with the Mugen front bumper has had the same problem.

The white bits on the pics are the bare metal. Everything else is squashed bugs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Are you sure it's not stone chips?

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Your dealer will have to submit a claim for this with Mugen. The whole lower section will need to be replaced as there are no parts available separately for the Mugen splitter.

It might be worth making Mugen aware of it. :)

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info DR! Looks like its not going to be so simple to replace :(

Are you sure it's not stone chips?
I'm pretty sure its not stone chips. The way the paint is bubbling up and lifting off makes it look like it didnt stick to the metal properly.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is stone chips Andrea, being so low it's very prone to it. I touch up at least twice a week ;)
:(
It was flaking off so badly i assumed it was because the paint wasn't adhering properly!
Everytime i touch it now more paint comes off in big flakes :(. I cant help thinking that touching up the paint will be a very temporary solution.

What paint did you use btw? Was it Honda paint?

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Jeez that's a poor show:( could you remove the front bumper/insert strip the paint off and then prime, paint it with hammerite, or some other strong metal paint? I know it's a lot of work but if Honda replaces it and it's a problem across the board then it will just happen again.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the stone chips loosen the paint to create flakes. I use my old Honda NHB touch up pen :)
I'm still not convinced its stone chips. I had a much closer look today when i washed my car and it looks like the paint is bubbling. I ran my fingers very gently over the mesh and i could feel loose sections of paint and more flakes came off on my fingers :( There is no obvious damage on the loose sections to indicate damage from stones but as soon as you touch them the paint comes away.

Jeez that's a poor show:( could you remove the front bumper/insert strip the paint off and then prime, paint it with hammerite, or some other strong metal paint? I know it's a lot of work but if Honda replaces it and it's a problem across the board then it will just happen again.
I will try for a replacement first and then if its an ongoing problem maybe resort to yours or Relic's suggestion.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I'm still not convinced its stone chips. I had a much closer look today when i washed my car and it looks like the paint is bubbling. I ran my fingers very gently over the mesh and i could feel loose sections of paint and more flakes came off on my fingers :( There is no obvious damage on the loose sections to indicate damage from stones but as soon as you touch them the paint comes away.
I've had a look at mine today and the mesh is already powder coated and not painted so I think a replacement is the best option. I'm sure you'll have no problems getting it done under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I will try for a replacement first and then if its an ongoing problem maybe resort to yours or Relic's suggestion.
Sounds like the metal was not degreased and the black paint has just not taken? It's amazing I can't remember but I think the standard insert/splitter is made of black diamond shaped plastic. Wonder why they didn't just carry the material over?

Some thread I was reading the other day someone with an CW found rust under a door rubber/seal??? Rust on a 2009/10 car I for one was gobsmacked! For me the list of problems with this gen of civic seam endless. Piss poor material and fitment/manufacturing seeming to be the most common.
Keep us posted on how you get on with Honda - good luck

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
It's possibly due to the chemicals used at hand car washes, which etch the paint and loosen it. The mesh is prone to this as it's Poss alloy over painted with 2k, once cleaning chemical such as those To clean alloy wheels find it's way onto The alloy corrosion peels paint off...

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's possibly due to the chemicals used at hand car washes, which etch the paint and loosen it. The mesh is prone to this as it's Poss alloy over painted with 2k, once cleaning chemical such as those To clean alloy wheels find it's way onto The alloy corrosion peels paint off...
My car has only ever been washed by me (apart from when i had it detailed recently) and I am positive that no harsh chemicals have come into contact with the mesh insert.
I'm certain that it wasnt caused by the detailing guy as i had started to notice a couple of damaged bits before it was done.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Hi R-2, just a thought usually bare alloy begins to oxidise if not protected by paint, wax etc.. Maybe you should try a good wire brush to remove all loose material, spray etch primer which will eat onto the bare metal and then just spray using a standard black cellulose can.. It may help as a decent fix unless obviously it's being replaced by manufacturer.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got this sorted and my mesh grille is being replaced under warranty :D
Just waiting for the part to arrive now.

I have been busy lately and only just had a chance to go to my dealer so i was happy that they immediately agreed it was a warranty replacement.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
Result, well done Andrea.

I'll keep touching mine up, as it gives me something to do on a Sunday morning

(That sounds wrong lol)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts