2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much it cost to get the plastic wheel arches painted for my Milano red 9G civic? Do I have to take it back to Honda garage or any body work garage will do fine? In addition, do they need to sand the plastic down or do they just paint over it?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
I had mine painted as part of the deal when buying the car, but the dealer told me that it would cost around £190 for the arches.

You don't need to go to Honda, I think most of them use local body shops for painting anyway. Any good body shop will give you a price and paint them for you.

Get 'em done! :cool:

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Go to a bodyshop. Your dealer may be different, but mine simply refuses every time I bring it up with them.

Shop around, find a bodyshop with good reviews and get quotes. Avoid "mobile resprayers", while they're good for fixing stonechips and single panels, you need a proper bodyshop for the space to do all 4 arches.
Expect it to cost a couple hundred quid tho...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also had mine painted as part of the deal to swap to an SR since my previous 8G Milano red "S" was colour coded and looked better that way IMHO. Doesn't seem a problem for my dealer, he agreed straight away.

·
Veedub
534 Posts
I had a quote from a Honda spray shop on Monday. they said because of the work involved with the dimples etc in then arches. If I wanted them doing properly they quoted £600.......... No thanks

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
I had a quote from a Honda spray shop on Monday. they said because of the work involved with the dimples etc in then arches. If I wanted them doing properly they quoted £600.......... No thanks
Does the quote include removing and refitting the trim? Or just prep/painting?

·
Veedub
534 Posts
The whole job , removing prep, spray and refit. I got the same job done on my 2013 9G for £200. But that garage no longer exists which is a pity

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Crickey, £200 is VERY cheap! I'm not surprised they are no longer operating.

·
Veedub
534 Posts
Not quite. The manager there did most of the major insurers work, Direct Line being one of them. He said he was owed in excess of £80.000 in unpaid claims. It was the major part of his business.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of their painted wheel arches? Considering getting it done but don't want it to look odd or obviously painted

Body shop near mine will do it for £140 is that decent?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
here you are

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nFBiac408ls/VsIMqFtTD_I/AAAAAAAAA_s/yF1XLl6wFNQ/s800-Ic42/DSCF1631.JPG
[img][/img]
[/img]

Result is perfectly smooth, and looks like metal.
If that £140 is a long term job with correct preparation then it is a good price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone had theirs painted for any length of time? A lot of places near me seemed dubious about painting them for me, got told by one that they won't do them as the paint isn't guaranteed to 'stick properly' and could flake off in the near future! Anyone had this problem? I've been quoted £50 a corner and they specified they'd use the 'correct' plastic primer etc. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
My previous red one I had 3 years till 1st mot, and that was still perfect. Obviously could still have problems longer term but cars have so many plastic panels nowadays I would not have thought it's a problem. Besides Honda do it at the factory and I don't think they would like customers coming back with peeling paint?.

·
Veedub
534 Posts
I had my 2013 arches done in 2013 by a local garage, when I sold it last September, they looked as good as new despite the many Karcher washes and everyday crud cars put up with. All for the cost of £50 per arch. The finish was smooth and matched the car well. I am finding it harder to get my white Civic done. Hondas preferred spray bay quoted a minimum of £600...... That seemed like a rip off. So I continue to look in postcode PE1 - 4 areas for a sensible quality quote

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've always painted anything and everything plastic in the past for all my other motors, but to be fair they've mainly been 10+ years old, I'd do the arches on my Civic myself but I think I'm suffering from 'new car syndrome' and I don't want to mess them up :) I might contact the local Honda dealer, just for the laugh :)

·
1.5 VTEC TURBO
142 Posts
there is an another option (if you have one of these three colours - blue/red/white)

you can buy an original painted arches (as spare part) from edition X (if you know the VIN of edice X car)

at my dealer is price for 1 piece milano red wheel arch 1 250,- CZK Ex VAT = 35.66 GBP Ex VAT

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
there is an another option (if you have one of these three colours - blue/red/white)

you can buy an original painted arches (as spare part) from edition X (if you know the VIN of edice X car)

at my dealer is price for 1 piece milano red wheel arch 1 250,- CZK Ex VAT = 35.66 GBP Ex VAT
That's good. You couldn't for my 2013 Ti model as I enquired as the paint was flaking from these. Blackpool Honda resprayed them and did an excellent job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How much did Blackpool Honda charge you if you don't mind me asking? I've been trying to get them to give me a quote but it's like getting blood out of a stone :(

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
How much did Blackpool Honda charge you if you don't mind me asking? I've been trying to get them to give me a quote but it's like getting blood out of a stone :(
They didn't, it was a warranty job. Phone the paint and body clinic and ask for Steve. They have a separate website for the body shop.

Reactions: Spuddywuddy1982
1 - 20 of 39 Posts