2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what I got up to over the weekend got up @ 7.30am and got tore into those stinking dirty calipers and man where they dirty. But looking good after a good brushing of the red stuff, 4 to 5 coats where necessary.. I managed to get three calipers fully painted and ended up finishing at 9pm. It was exhausting work and especially on the knees. It took time to maticulously clean and hoke out every remnant of grease and rust which took forever the painting was relatively easy but it was just awkward as it meant laying on the ground for most of the work, which was both uncomfortable and a real pain.. So only the back caliper to paint and that's me finsihed, whoo hoooooo....

Attachments

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Looks good, but it took you all day!?

What product did you use to degrease and which paint did you use?

Think I can see some Hammerite in there... which parts have you taped up to protect during painting?

·
<3
2,103 Posts
Nice.. wish I had taken as much time to do mine then they would have looked as good as this! :thumbsup:

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes all day, lol

Looks good, but it took you all day!?

What product did you use to degrease and which paint did you use?

Think I can see some Hammerite in there... which parts have you taped up to protect during painting?
Suppose I was too maticulous or fussy which I a'm. So I took my time making sure every scrape of rust was removed and was properly de greased. I used Hammerite 250ml pot of White and Red smooth. And a tub of Hammerite Gel Rust remover. It was fantastic at removing the rust and grease and did more than remove the rust and left the calipers in a shiny spanking new like state just right for painting.. I was very careful not to get paint over any moving parts like disc, nuts, rubber grommet's etc, etc.. Remember I did three calipers in one day each caliper got 4 to 5 coats of hammerite until there was a thick smooth buildup of paint sure to last for year with just a rub of a wet sponge? Well that's the idea, anyway.. :p

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gold looks good too..

I did mine in Gold Hammerite after a wash with Meths and some scrubbing
Looks good in Gold, too.. So what have you got on the rim of your tyres that looks shiney what sort of tyre cleaner is that??

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Suppose I was too maticulous or fussy which I a'm. So I took my time making sure every scrape of rust was removed and was properly de greased. I used Hammerite 250ml pot of White and Red smooth. And a tub of Hammerite Gel Rust remover. It was fantastic at removing the rust and grease and did more than remove the rust and left the calipers in a shiny spanking new like state just right for painting.. I was very careful not to get paint over any moving parts like disc, nuts, rubber grommet's etc, etc.. Remember I did three calipers in one day each caliper got 4 to 5 coats of hammerite until there was a thick smooth buildup of paint sure to last for year with just a rub of a wet sponge? Well that's the idea, anyway.. :p
No I agree you need to be, I just get distracted easily. I do intend to give this a go at some point. I prefer to do it somewhere out of sight, as I have to park on a public right (basically on the pavement). Take it you were just doing one caliper then moving round and by the time you were back the first one was dry again?

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Painted each one until it was finsihed

No I agree you need to be, I just get distracted easily. I do intend to give this a go at some point. I prefer to do it somewhere out of sight, as I have to park on a public right (basically on the pavement). Take it you were just doing one caliper then moving round and by the time you were back the first one was dry again?
No I painted each caliper until each one was completely finsihed, then I moved onto the next one, I have to tell you it's a real pain to do those calipers, glad that's that done though I still have one more to do so tomorrow evening if it's good I will be doing that tomorrow hopefully..

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, one by one is a lot of effort. A good half-days work at least I'd say. Especially if applying two coats!

And to think I've got that to look forward to again when I re-coat them this summer. Gonna have to due to the brake dust staining the blue paint in the last 6 months...

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A recoat is better.

Yeah, one by one is a lot of effort. A good half-days work at least I'd say. Especially if applying two coats!

And to think I've got that to look forward to again when I re-coat them this summer. Gonna have to due to the brake dust staining the blue paint in the last 6 months...
Yes I would agree it would only take half a day if they had already been painted before, as you only have to give them a wipe and a lousy lick of paint with no preparator work.

As for me well I doubt i'll ever be recoating those calipers as i'm not fussy about them dirtying out at least you will see there is a touch of red somewhere, lol...;)

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Patience is paramount, lol..

looks great mate ;)

I would love to do the same but I don't think i have the patience :(
Yea exactly patience and sore knees, I gave them another coat of the red hammerite stuff this evening, and have to say they came up good and shiney with a real deep colour god they look fantastic with a deep vibrant red gloss look. But they were a pain to paint already the neighbours have all commented that they really like my painted calipers.. Oh and have just been told the red glossy look of the calipers will last approximately 4 years especially with 5 coats and left to harden for three days before driving.. :p

·
As good as it gets!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey

looks good mate
Thank you for your kind comments, and like to nod in your direction on having a fine looking motor, you must get sheer enjoyment in driving your special car. Looks awsome awsome by the way. Respect.. [smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Registered
882 Posts
nice looking red, did you only get this result from lots of coats, how did it look from say just a couple of coats?

also you say 3 calipers on 1 day, how long were you leaving between coats, should it not be like 4-5 hours etc?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts