2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
This is my first my thread but i've been a regular on this site, since i purchased my Civic cdti. I'm very happy with the purchase. Its a very good looking car. I have it in pearl black, 18 inch alloys and image pack, door protectors. Looks good indeed. I will try and upload some pictures when i can.

The next big thing i wanted to do is colour code the plastic trims. But i need some recommendations. Has anybody colour coded their civic, and living in the Midlands area ?

I would appreciate if you can share your experiences and give any valuable recommendation of a good body shop in the midlands that will do a great job.

Thanks.

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
I would yell.com it to be honest. Phone around and get prices. Hopefully someone will come back to you and recommend one for you. You are looking at anything between 300-400odd quid. Although you will get a few silly quotes like 1000quid etc!!

·
3,295 Posts
Those Honda dealers probably didn't have a scoobie what they were quoting for! 200quid! You would bite their hand off for that price!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I checked some body shops out on yell.com. Theres so many !
Thats why it would make my choice easier if someone already had used someone they could recommend,

Whats the best way to colour code the trims ? Do you think the trims should be taken off, then painted. Is it advisable to do that, meaning it wont cause the fittings to become loose ?

·
3,295 Posts
Definately take the trims off. That's where some paintshops will struggle as I have heard it's a pain in the ass to take them off!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
£200 at a Honda dealer sounds too good a deal. whoever gave that quote must have been on something :)

I asked Brindley Honda and they said they wont do it. That leaves me asking some of the other Honda approved dealers in the Midlands. Anyone know which Honda dealers are ok to do this type of job ?

Ok, so i really need to find someone whose quite confident taking the trims off. That would ideally be Honda themselves. And they are a rip off.

·
3,295 Posts
You should just phone around and see whos willing to do it. Thats what everyone done on here. Simplythebest just had his done recently, you should ask him. Cos i think they need to sand down and prime first also.

·
Best in the buisness
1,145 Posts
make sure the one main thing that the paintshop has is an oven!! Some don't, watch out for them. Better having the oven. Also phone up and see what bodyshops your official Honda dealers use as some/most of them sub-contract bodypainting! So if the bodyshops are good anough for Honda they must be alright. :D I got mine for £340 or £350 I can't mind but that was including mudflaps painted and fitted and spoiler painted and fitted so I would say you probably could get it for just over £200. Do be prepare to haggle with these companies though as the do come down down down in price. I got £200 off my origional quote that I got quoted off the place I got mine done. Hope all this helps. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, managed to get a paintshop to get it all done for £350. He said he'll take all the plastics off, prime and paint and use the low bake oven and finally stick it all back on again.
They are a reputable garage, Toyota sub-contract alot of jobs to them.

So what you think guys, have i got a good deal ?

·
3,295 Posts
If they are reputable garage that sounds good. But as you have probably seen in other thread, i wouldnt go solely on the price. Tomo (simplythebest) has had a few issues with his colour coding. You should as the paint shop what happens if you have issues with the paint job a couple of months down the line.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

·
Banned
57 Posts
I was at my local dealers on Friday and asked about the colour coding, which they usually have done to their demo's, and the chap there said it would be no more than £250.

I'm gonna get my tyres sorted first, but then I'm gonna have to book it in to get the skirts done cos it really does make such a difference!

Think i'm gonna ring and get a definate price from them and arrange a date for it to be done and I can let u know for sure how much they charge.

The garage is in Melton Mowbray so not too far from Birmingham if you're interested in saving a bit!

The only thing I was dubious about was that he said they could do it on a Saturday morning, and I thought it would take longer for the paint to dry properly etc.

·
3,295 Posts
Redhead, it should be upwards of 3 days... so somethings not right there heheh

By the time you sand, prime, paint and bake.... a morning?? Maybe the engineer is some sort of timelord!! haha

·
Banned
57 Posts
Mmmm, thought so!

Well I only spoke to a salesman, so i'll have to ring now just to find out for sure!

I had asked a chap who does bodywork in a local workshop and he told me 3 days, but I thought this was maybe because he was just a one man band without much equipment!

His price wasn't bad too at £300 max!

Being without the car for 3 days was the only reason I didn't book it in!

·
3,295 Posts
A lesson i have learnt from this forum is not to go by price. Ask them lots of questions. I know alot of people are phoning up honda dealers to see who they sub contract their paintjobs out to. Thats what i might do eventually lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Might be a bit far out for you but try Central Motor Repairs on Belton Lane Industrial Estate in Grantham.

They repaired and resprayed my Civic bonnet when it got dented by a conker (and attached branch). Full of paint chips before this happened so a chance to get that sorted too. It still looks fine several months of winter driving later.

They have also recently repaired the wing on our 08 CRV as that got hit by a Muntjac. Good job it didn't hit the front of the car or it would have been a lot worse!

Same price for both repairs - £200.00 + VAT

They do commercial and insurance work so we leave the car with them and they fit it in over a few days. They are also the local Honda approved bodyshop.

We're happy with the work or we wouldn't have gone back the second time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My garage has told me it will take a full two days to get the job done. Not sure where Melton Mowbray is redhead, but if you can get the job done at £250 then its a bargain. But very dubious about the timeframe to get the job done.
Mine is in Stourbridge by they way. They were recommended to me by the Toyota salesman who i bought my Honda Civic from. I know ironic, buying a Honda from Toyota ! But it was at a good negotiated price, and left by a previous owner who exchanged it for a Toyota Auris. Must be a boring guy :)
Let me know how it goes though.
I'm not sure if i can wait for your results though, I want to get mine done soon. Thanks for the advice Robbieee, almost forgot to ask about the warranty.
It might be a cash job, so i dont even know if i'll even get a receipt. Normally what kind of warranty should i expect ?

·
Banned
57 Posts
Gonna have to ring them tomorrow now to find out!

I also asked how much for a type r spoiler and grill and both were around £300 each.

I have, though, seen a spoiler on ebay for £160 fitted!

I'll quiz honda on drying times etc and let u know the results!

·
3,295 Posts
Redhead.... Save dosh on the spoiler.... You can't get a replica one for the fraction of the price. Do a search... It's all about saving £££'s on here hehe

1 - 20 of 34 Posts