2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some paint issues on new ctr...some what i can only describe as spills under the laquer in 3 or 4 places. Can see them quiet clearly when shade is across the car but not in direct sunlight. Mate who works in toyota garage body repairs thinks its under laquer and would need a respray in the effected area to repair. Car is less than a week old and not happy if it turns out that way...do i have to accept it or can I refuse...?!!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Best not delay, get it to the dealers asap. He almost certainly will offer to try to buff it out and then offer a respray. Personally, I would be very unhappy to accept a respray on a brand new car and would try to return it under the sale of goods act as being not of merchantable quality.
By the way, there have been at least two previous threads regarding blotches on the bonnet.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
It is the seller who is responsible, not the manufacturer under the sale of goods act.
A dealer has 24 hours after taking delivery of a new car, to report any defects to the manufacturer.
After that time, it is their problem, as they should have spotted it.
Don't let them give you the runaround by telling you that they will take it up with Honda.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Yes mate - it's a bugger.
But they didn't spot it when they accepted delivery of the car, so why would you be expected to.
If it isn't a surface defect, which can be easily sorted, then to be resprayed properly, it will require the paint to be faded out onto the other panels also, to get a colour match.

·
No Jedi mind tricks pls
394 Posts
Can you post any pics ???
I would refuse the car as it will always be on your mind that the car has been 'repaired' and not split new..........

You have been sold a car which does not meet the standard they say they provide...

I am sure they will oblige, if not a phone call to customer services london.

I know its a pain and not what you wanted but you have to refuse the car..

Andy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will call in at the local body repair shop which alot of different dealers use in the area to ask there opinion before i go to see dealers tomorrow...! Have tried washing but it seems to be under the laquer, it looks like a spill and slightly lighter colour before the laquer has been applied. Tempted to to try tcut but it looks to be under the laquer so not much point will see what local body shop think before i speak with dealer. A respray is not an option as it will get refused...!

·
No Jedi mind tricks pls
394 Posts
Will call in at the local body repair shop which alot of different dealers use in the area to ask there opinion before i go to see dealers tomorrow...! Have tried washing but it seems to be under the laquer, it looks like a spill and slightly lighter colour before the laquer has been applied. Tempted to to try tcut but it looks to be under the laquer so not much point will see what local body shop think before i speak with dealer. A respray is not an option as it will get refused...!
DON'T touch it mate ........ just take it back ......

·
Registered
165 Posts
FYI, I rejected my wife's new Suzuki last year. Evidence of paint rework between factory and delivery. Dealer agreed to replace. Car was 2 weeks old with 200 miles on the clock.

From the investigations I undertook at the time the legal position on rejecting a new car is unclear. The more time you leave it the less chance of success. Up to 14 days seemed to be a reasonable benchmark.

You should give the dealer an opportunity to 'rectify' the problem. Great if the problem is mechanical but not so when it's paint.

Let me know if you want more information on the 'correct' process for rejection.

HTH.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saw dealers today reference above-they tried buffing out marks-no success. They seem to think water has been allowed to sit between the sticky plastic which is on the car body whilst in storage. This water then gets into the paintwork...they now want the car in for a couple of hours in the bodyshop to bake it and allow this moisture to dry out...its all logged before they go to honda for the car to be returned...i'm going to talk to honda uk tomorrow to check where i stand...!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts