2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've installed Torque using cmdroid, and picked up a cheapo OBD scanner on Ebay. Whilst I can get it working no problems on my phone, When attempting to pair with the head unit, it asks that I enter the pairing code on the device:- No hope :)

I've tried changing the pairing code from random to manual, and setting it as the OBD's passcode (Usual 1234), both in the beautified/not so functional honda "Settings" and in the more android-y settings menu; both want me to enter a code on the device.

With my phone, It was just a simple matter of entering the 1234 passcode; Any Idea on how I can use this method on the head unit? I was wondering if I could side load in a bluetooth app of some description that could manage the connection for me.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Intresting!

I went back for attempt session number 3, and it appears the planets were aligned this time.

If anyone else happens to have a similar issue, I managed to get it to connect first time by fully shutting down and restarting the head unit; May be worth a go for you too!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello,

I've installed Torque using cmdroid, and picked up a cheapo OBD scanner on Ebay. Whilst I can get it working no problems on my phone, When attempting to pair with the head unit, it asks that I enter the pairing code on the device:- No hope :)

I've tried changing the pairing code from random to manual, and setting it as the OBD's passcode (Usual 1234), both in the beautified/not so functional honda "Settings" and in the more android-y settings menu; both want me to enter a code on the device.

With my phone, It was just a simple matter of entering the 1234 passcode; Any Idea on how I can use this method on the head unit? I was wondering if I could side load in a bluetooth app of some description that could manage the connection for me.

Thanks all!

Aren't you supposed to pair with smartphone and there are apps that you can use to connect it. And if you and if you are really have is you probably know how you can download paid APK for free from browsers and install that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Intresting!

I went back for attempt session number 3, and it appears the planets were aligned this time.

If anyone else happens to have a similar issue, I managed to get it to connect first time by fully shutting down and restarting the head unit; May be worth a go for you too!
Hello Haltamer,

I've the same issue but I don't understand what you mean when you say to fully shut down and restart the head unit. Are you talking about a reset? If not, how is the exact procedure to follow?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Haltamer,

I've the same issue but I don't understand what you mean when you say to fully shut down and restart the head unit. Are you talking about a reset? If not, how is the exact procedure to follow?

Thanks!
I can't remember exactly what I did now; I believe it was one of two things:
Somewhere in the options menu there is a function for restarting the head unit I believe (Called refresh IIRC?); If not that, then whilst power is on (Ignition), Hold the power button until the head unit / audio fully shuts down, Turn it back on, and have a second attempt.

Most important is keep trying :p

As an aside; I'm fairly sure I reconnected the obd whilst the unit was off / before booting, just to ensure there was no remnants of the previous connections.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an OBDII ELM327, and I have an Honda Civic 2017, when I try to pair the OBDII to the head unit, nothing happens, even the head unit can´t see the OBDII, I already unlock the head unit so I can install *.apk without any problem, I comment this because I install bluetooth .apk to the head unit, and still can´t pair the OBDII.

I have an android phone and can pair OBDII without a problem, does the civic head unit have a lock?; and only can pair phones?

Please help me if I need to make an advance configuration to unlock the bluetooth.

Regards

·
4,211 Posts
Strange this. When I tried to pair my new SGS9+ to my Honda head unit (HU), the HU could not find the phone, but when I tapped 'No phone found' on the HU, I found the Honda HFT on my phone. Having done it that way round, it paired just fine.
I wonder if the Honda BT has problems 'seeing' other BT devices?

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that I'm behind a proper keyboard:
Took me more than 10 attempts to get it connected to my cheapo blue plastic ebay ELM - More expensive one connected faster!
Ensure you are on Position II accessory power, and that the OBD scanner is turned on if it has a switch - Make sure there are some lights.

Once that is done, see if you can pair using your phone; If you can, then well done, the scanner itself works.
If you still can't connect on the headunit, as above, give it a full reboot (Also detailed above)

Then, persevere lots. That seems to be the order of the day:- Try rebooting the OBD (Disconnect / reconnect) etc - Just keep trying!

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems like it may be the HU on the 10G is more picky - M8TJT managed eventually, So I think it's a similar case of perseverence. If you can't see the OBD Adapter, try testing on your phone to ensure it's actually working.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts