2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas why Honda didn't go properly panoramic with the glass roof by making the blinds disappear to the front & back instead of in the middle of the roof? Would've been a nicer feature I think...

·
Nneeaawwwwwwww
443 Posts
Possibly something to do with safety? Might be that in a crash the energy needs to be dispersed through the car and thats why theres a bit in the middle of the roof?

Just a guess!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...but aren't there other cars with glass roofs that don't have the central beam? Megane? (sorry if that's swearing)

Just wondering why? Seems like a missed opportunity.... like the mirrors not folding on lockdown...:confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've wondered this too, the bar doesn't seem to stuctural, the only reason i can think of it that one large blind may be harder to impliment and cost more.

In the front you don't notice i guess, but what do people sitting in the back think?!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have wondered this also, and think it might be due to the roof being too big for one blind (it would sag and wobble horribly!) and to get them to meet in the middle (rollers at the front and back ends) would be really difficult without leaving a nasty slither of light at the join.

I really don't know. It is a shame as it looks at a glance like two regular sunroofs (albeit without and opening function) rather than a single peice of glass.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The X-Trail has a single aperture glass roof with single blind & on a test drive didn't notice anything wobbly there.

Also it's a shame the front & back apertures on the Civic cannot be controlled independently of each other...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The X-Trail has a single aperture glass roof with single blind & on a test drive didn't notice anything wobbly there.

Also it's a shame the front & back apertures on the Civic cannot be controlled independently of each other...
Please NO!!! :) My 2 kids are always arguing over having the whole thing open or closed!!!
Mine is open 99.9% of the time, only ever close it when showing it off ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mine is open 99.9% of the time, only ever close it when showing it off ;)
I used to be like that too. I figured there's never really any reason to close the sunroof. Until I drove up north and it was -25 degrees C outside. The glass roof felt cold, and poured chill down my neck. Closing the roof reduced this effect considerably. It was dark outside, anyway, so closing the roof didn't make the interior any darker.

That's one good reason. Can you think of any other good, practical reasons for closing the roof?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I close my roof when it is sunny but driving along tree lined roads.
The flickering of the sunlight through the roof can bring on a migraine.
I also close it at night driving where there are street lights, I find the reflections of the lights on the display cover annoying!
Apart from that it is usually open!

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
When I drive It's open ... I close It when I'm going out of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Comments from Sunshade designer.

Hello all, it is interesting reading all your comments/recommendations regarding the panoramic roof, I am the designer of this roof system where I hope I can offer a few why's and why not's of the current roof layout;

- blinds deploying from the front and back.
This package was considered during the initial vehicle design stage but was rejected as the space required for a rollerblind spindle in the region of the front header (the area where the swing down sunvisors are stowed) was insufficient to package this design. Shame really as I agree it would have made a nice feature and taken out the central beam. The potential light bleed at the interface where the blinds would have met in the middle is reasonably easy to eradicate just by slightly overlapping the front and rear moving reinforcements.

- Centre cross member requirement
The roof system does not contribute at all to the vehicle's structural rigidity or crash, the FEA's I performed were constricted to evaluate the vibration/strength of individual components and headliner interface. (for info, the Megane has a HUGE centre cross member, 2.0 mm thick pressed steel section that bolts directly to body around the B-pillar to assist the vehicle structure in torsion and crash).

- One large rollerblind deploying from the rear
This layout was also considered at initial vehicle design, this was rejected as the diameter required to retain around 800mm of rolled fabric for the single rollerblind was in the region of 55mm...ish which would impact on the head clearance requirements in the rear cabin...ironically, I am working on a project at the moment that is exactly of this design.
The problem of fabric `sag' when using one rollerblind to cover a large opening is rectified by holding the fabric taut between each side rail, this allows us to follow a curve from front to back which is not possible with a conventional sunshade design such as Honda which can only be deployed in a (preferably) straight line. Oh, and there is no wobbling.

- Front and rear blinds operating independently
This would require 2 x motors to run and was rejected due to the extra costs required. This feature is usually the norm of premium sector vehicles in in the £45 - 90K bracket such as Mercedes S-class etc that have an (opening) panoramic roof.

- glass options
During the initial vehicle feasibility design, the glass panel that is installed in the roof was the biggest application that was feasible for an automotive application (the tolerances required for roof glass are a lot tighter that those required for other large glass applications such as truck and bus windscreens due to much higher quality expectations).
There are coatings that are available for automotive glass such as I.R film which drastically reduces the amoung of solar heat transmission into the cabin along with anti-reflective films etc but these were in their infancy during development (hence very expensive) and were not implemented.

- Opening glass
To develop an opening panel with rollerblinds for the Civic would have cost 3 to 4 times the R&D not to mention the additional piece costs....

Hope this gives you an insight into why the roof design is as how it is.

Regards, Jon.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting to hear some reasoning - I really like the roof but it could've been better - but then there is very little in this world that cannot be improved in some way so it leaves Honda with some upgrade options for the future!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interesting read!

There are coatings that are available for automotive glass such as I.R film which drastically reduces the amoung of solar heat transmission into the cabin along with anti-reflective films etc but these were in their infancy during development (hence very expensive) and were not implemented.
Does this mean the glass roof lets plenty of sun heat through? Odd, because the sun doesn't feel as hot through the roof, as it does through the side windows and the windscreen. It is slightly tinted, though, maybe that cuts the radiation down some?

I presume there is enough room to have a solar film installed, then? (as long as the person installing has the patience to reach under the cross beam to smooth out the film).

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Well I don't have the panoramic roof, but even I enjoyed reading that post, thanks a lot to jocky for that insight, as CP said, its good to get it from the horses mouth.

Can you get the rest of the design team on here too??

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
A nice insight, thanks

A mate who works in car engineering loves the blinds. Always has to have a play when he gets in the Spaceship.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Hi Jockywockycocky,
Thanks for the interesting insight for the panaoramic roof, which I really like.
So what is the design reason causing various bit of foam having to be trimmed from the roof lining?
Mine still makes an annoying sound at times, but is better since the dealer got their stanley knife out (it makes a sound like a Tescos bag being rustled). It seems to be the roof lining moving relative to the bodywork or windscreen.

Cheers,

Terry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts