2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting some insurance quotes today for the civic, when I was asked, "Is the car modified in any way?"
I asked whether self fitting the rear parking sensors classed as a modification and after doing some research, the guy on the end of the phone came back and said yes. He then said he would have to refer the question to the underwriters, to see whether,

a) They would continue to offer a quotation
or
b) By how much the premium would go up!

Seems a little strange to me that adding a set of £25 parking sensors, which will in fact help me to avoid bashing the car, may well put up the price of my insurance?!

Have a wait till about Tuesday to find out what the underwriters say, so its in the balance whether I install them or not at the moment...

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I got asked the same question, and when I got my new certificate it had the parking sensors noted as extra equipment. I'm pretty certain it didn't change the premium at all though - The only difference in my premium was due to the car being newer, and one insurance group higher.

If the premium was more, because you had parking sensors, it would probably be due to higher repair costs if someone else ran into you, as the sensors could need repaired as well - rather than the obvious benefit that you are less likely to reverse into something.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My Vauxhall has dealer fit reversing sensors, that they fitted in compensation for bad service (sound familiar?). My wife recently had a rear end shunt, which destroyed the rear bumper and tailgate. On return from the garage it had a new set fitted in the replacement bumper, with no questions asked. I have never declaired them on the insurance policy, as it never even occured to me!
If your quote comes back with additional cost to cover the sensors, then go to another company simple as that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Having had various quotes for my civic and also getting quotes for my other half to insure my old golf in his name - I would say give elephant a try - I know Honda insurance is expensive but this quote was less than a quater of it and half my existing insurance price!!!!!
Give them a go - see what they say ;)
Alex

·
Registered
13 Posts
extra premium for 19" rage alloys

Hi, When ringing my insurance company for a quote for my CTR I asked if the 19" rage alloys would cost me any more to insure. :?:

After asking me the value of the wheels they quoed me an extra £250 premium and a further £100 eccess if I was to make a claim.:confused:

CRAZY!!!!

·
Rusty Nut!
611 Posts
Im with elephant and forgot to mention the city pack and sensors when I changed over to the civic, I rang back and added it and it added a further £15 to the premium AND they wont pay for the citypack to be replaced in the event of an accident :( RUBBISH!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I rang my company in Ireland regarding my uprated Alloys (17" Storms) and asked if this was considered as a modification. She checked and then reeled off a list of what they deemed to be mods and Alloys were not one of them - it was all perfromance enhancers such as air filters, exhausts, bull bars and other bits and pieces.

Makes a change as they tend to rip you off over everthing here!

Then again if the wheels or car are knicked they may only reimburse to the value of the standard alloys for the car - I forgot to ask that!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That does surprise me spud. I was under the impression that anything that makes the car more attractive to thieves would be top of insurance companies lists as things to charge you extra for.

Having looked into it recently, it appears that anything that is added to the car that it not part of the standard specification is classed as a modification and so the insurance company should be told about it. Just depends what they then choose to do about it with regards to your premium.

·
Registered
243 Posts
agreed - apparently they record all conversations so at least if the worst happens I did try and tell them about it. I'm still not 100% convinced so I may give them another call to make sure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had this kind of thing before and to be honest has never been a problem.

My old Corsa for example had a sunroof, electric windows and central locking fitted by a 3rd party garage. I always told the insurers but in 6 years of ownership never once had a problem with insurance or paying extra premiums.

Likewise, Sainsburys Insurance are covering my Civic, and when I told them about the extra Parking sensors I had fitted to it, they said no problem, no extra premium.

It's just the chav body styling, suspension dropping, hideous spoiler-type alterations they're interested in!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I spoke to my insurance co yesterday and the question of modifications came up. I told them I was getting them fitted before delivery (dont know if that makes a difference). The guy went away to check and came back saying that as they are not mentioned as a modification on their list, they will be covered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts