2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
Well it's worth a try isn't it to save a trip. Tell them that you are really disappointed that the car has these niggles when you have paid out a goodly amount of your hard earned. Thing is, they can't really test them anyway as it's an intermittent problem that's almost impossible to provoke by squirting water etc. So they must take your word for it that it's actually happening as there is nothing they can actually check and it's a well known problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Right so honda is actually well aware of this? In that case a phone call may be in order. I know I bought the car at a year old so wasn't expecting perfection but I also didn't think it would have so many niggles. I love that with honda you get so much as standard and that I have friends with 40 grand cars with the same spec as my 20k civic but both civics I've owned have had silly issues that spoil the new car fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
Oh yes. They are well aware. So much so that they have the fix that I quoted somewhere which replaces the front grille.
And they have a fix for the Idle Stop not working with the battery error.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I spoke to them today. They called to say my clutch part arrived. They said they'll look at the sensors tomorrow when it goes in. I mentioned the new grille and that honda uk know all about this issue and the guy said they cant get grilles in stock. Honda aren't sending any. Sounds fishy.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
Not really fishy. I know that Honda do not have zillions in stock, and I believe that the expression is 'complain strongly' about it. I don't think they will gain anything by looking at them. There is nothing to see. The new grille looks identical to the old one.
When you go there tell them that you are really peed off about them constantly going off in the rain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some people get it fixed in a few weeks while others have been told they need to wait months. I think it depends on who you speak to.

Will do. I'll tell them it's a dangerous distraction as it does it sometimes at busy junctions before I pull out etc. If the dealer doesn't put an order in then I'll call Honda uk. Had great service from them in the past. My old civic needed a new blower motor and it was 400 quid for the part. A full year out of warranty and honda supplied the part for free.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Well, it's in for the front grille to be replaced ... except ... there's a problem!!

Honda sent MY grille to another garage, so when they received my keys, went to check their shelves, low-and behold ... NOTHING!!
Wasn't best pleased I can tell you, but hat's off a little to Holdcroft, gave me the option of a loaner, confirmed they'd have my grille tomorrow and would fit it and I simply exchange cars at the end of the day ... OK!!

It is a blue Civic I've been lent, which is the colour I really want in the first place ..
It's petrol, but I actually have to use the key in the ignition ... very weird!!

It's a 3-cylinder throbber ... lively enough, but you can notice quite a considerable difference.
(They did confirm to use petrol, not diesel!!)
Great to have the luxury of a 'loaner' to keep me mobile so can't complain.

Al.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well I went in today and they're gonna order me a grille. They say they'll call when they get an answer from Honda UK. If I don't hear anything in a week I'll be chasing them.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
It was interesting to compare the 2 engines - the 1.5 in mine and the 1.0 in the loaner - and using a key again.

Generally, the 1.0 has enough to keep up in traffic, but whereas I 'row mine along', the 1.0 had no power at all - needed one gear lower to drive similarly - which isn't like an idiot, just keeping up with the flow - and within limits.

A few times, particularly when the engine was cold, I had to declutch and raise revs again before the engine died.

There's obviously a period of time where you adapt to different power conditions but I feel the 1.0 would probably consume more than my 1.5 in the same conditions ... glad the 1.5's back.

It's now gone very cold, without any rain / snow, so whether the replacement is a success or not has yet to be ascertained - will advise.
It still locks me in if I open up and sit inside without starting the engine ... unlocks again when I start up.
Al.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Well, a few days in to 'new ownership' - new grille - and the same front O/S sensor is kicking off again .... had me wondering if they'd actually changed anything, or simply claimed the 'prize' for somebody else.

All is calm today, but wasn't too pleased ... pity I was hasty, as I'd normally 'mark' a target part to see if it is changed or not - didn't do it this time.

Al.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
The grille change is to fix the two centre sensors from false alarming. If your O/S (corner) sensor is false alarming, it's a different problem.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
That explains that - thanks. I'll see how it goes - was giving me a headache in the hope of having had the problem resolved! ALWAYS disappeared above 'just over 6 mph' - obviously 10 km/h - quite curious.
Al.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts