2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm missing something, but can anyone explain how Honda justifies charging nearly a grand to have front and rear parking sensors fixed?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
There are 2 types of add on Honda accessory parking sensors:

1) normal type which beeps as you get closer to an obstacle (audio indication only). The beeper is quite loud and the sensors have a good usable range.
2) integration with iMid (visual and audio indication)

If it is the second type then I suppose it's better value relatively speaking.

Alternatively, you can get aftermarket sensors fitted. Some installers can get them colour coded for you.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but can anyone explain how Honda justifies charging nearly a grand to have front and rear parking sensors fixed?
In order to draw comparison, in my recent review of the Volvo V40 option list I noted that for £850 you can opt for front and rear parking sensors (colour coded) which also includes automated self parallel parking called "Park Assit Pilot"!!!!!

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
can anyone explain why you would need front parking sensors on a small hatchback in the first place?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Because they're Honda?

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Since when is the 9G a small hatchback?
since it is the size it is. It's hardly big is it?

4.3m x 1.7m x 1.4m isnt big is it? that said, i've never really compared it to others, just thought they were all round about the same.

Either way, you dont need front parking sensors for it.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
since it is the size it is. It's hardly big is it?

4.3m x 1.7m x 1.4m isnt big is it? that said, i've never really compared it to others, just thought they were all round about the same.

Either way, you dont need front parking sensors for it.
It's pretty big compared to the Jazz/Yaris/Fiesta/Polo range, which is what I'd call a small hatchback.

I take your point though, I'm yet to see a car where you do need front parking sensors. There have been times though in tight car park spaces even with the 8G where they may have been useful, but I didn't need them.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
CR-V, Range Rover etc, largere 4x4's granted but come on, on a 5 dr hatchback? save the £850 and get some more driving lessons.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Problem is that the rear ones are actually pretty darn useful. Plenty of low bollards/small children/adored pets that can easily be run over when reversing... and manufacturers are offering rear ones as a "pack" with front ones these days (at least Audi are as that's all I've been shopping for recently).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Parking sensors?

To answer some of the points for/against ANY kind of parking sensor,(some of them a bit unkind really!) - from my experience most dings/scratches etc are done in supermarket car parks! Usually on reversing! On a previous car I found them hugely helpful to avoid those dopey people who INSIST on carrying on walking behind a car which is obviously reversing, ie. reverse lights on and actually MOVING, when the car would alert me to the fact somebody had carried on regardless! On a more serious note, they are also enormously helpful to avoid small children, or even animals, that inadvertently cross your path when reversing. I will definitely be getting them retro-fitted to mine. I've had a quote for £170 colour coded, or £250 front and rear by an autoelectrician. For that price its well worth it, probably less to get them than pay your excess on your insurance. And, before you ask, yes I am female, and yes I am extremely good at reverse parking! Its really just an extra safety feature, but def not for £1k!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree that the sensors (especially the rear ones) are quite useful in detecting objects / people / pets that stray into your path whilst reversing (especially at night). If you had the choice of EITHER a reverse camera or reverse sensor, I think sensors are superior to a reverse camera as it forces you look behind and be more aware at your surroundings rather than rely on a screen on the dashboard. Good and bad drivers come from both genders.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but he said fixed... not fitted? in which case at that price I would assume they are re fitting the entire kit and every sensor!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I am missing something but he said fixed... not fitted? in which case at that price I would assume they are re fitting the entire kit and every sensor!
Apologies, I meant fitted...... Are they colour coded to the bumper(Honda ones)?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Apologies, I meant fitted...... Are they colour coded to the bumper(Honda ones)?
Ah I see, because they are integrated in the bumper in multiple places and painted etc they are not an easy job, have you thought about getting a reversing camera instead as it is a much cheaper option...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts