2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of getting one of these fitted
I'm staying away from the screen versions (MKi9100 & MKi9200) as I don't like to keep things (like additional screens) on display.

So got quotes from Halfords and and CarPhone Warehouse.

Halfords
Unit price - £129.99
Wire loom - £21.99
Fitting price - £19.99
TOTAL = £171.97

Carphone Warehouse
Unit price - £109.99
Fitting (inc wireloom) - £99.99
TOTAL = £209.98

Halfords is cheaper by £58 and I've been told that the Leicester branch has fitted a couple of Civics.

What do you think?? Should I get it done at Halfords??
:confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ah ... or maybe buy the unit from carphone warehouse and get it fitted at Halfords?? makes it a bit cheaper

·
Registered
119 Posts
Id rathe crawl through broken glass than have halfords anywhere near my car.

Well documented that the staff have no ICE training short of them fitting a vibe amp in their corsa lol.

Follow my guide in the howto section, least then you know its done correctly.:worms:

That or pay CEL to fit it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id rathe crawl through broken glass than have halfords anywhere near my car.

Well documented that the staff have no ICE training short of them fitting a vibe amp in their corsa lol.

Follow my guide in the howto section, least then you know its done correctly.:worms:

That or pay CEL to fit it
Thanks for the How-To. Now I just need to go buy the unit and SOT cable and install it myself.... atleast I can put in some foam tape between the plastic trim to minimise any rattling whilst it's all out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I`m debating between the mki9200 and mki9100 and went to Halfords (Newport, Isle Of Wight) today.

The guy who came out to look at my Honda Civic just scratch his head and had a puzzled look on his face when he saw the dash. He started picking at joins in the dash with his thumbnail not saying at all.

Not exactly inspiring confidence I quickly walked away... :facepalm:

So my local Halfords fit it themselves so your at the whim at whose not on their lunch break to come and be puzzled by the curved dash. ;)

Time for abit of DIY me thinks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Already printed and ready to go ;) ... but it's started raining now! Bring back the heatwave cos this`ll take me all day more than likely!

Thanks colthillary!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a small update... I`ve eventually got round to fitting it and it took around 2 hours.

It wasn`t technically difficult, just certain steps are bit fiddly and needed abit of patience to avoid scratching or cracking anything. At some stages you think what on earth are you doing but then it all becomes worthwhile when you start testing the mki9200 whilst half your dash is split open and wires are everywhere!

The only tools I needed was a philips screwdriver, 8mm socket set, credit card and a blade screwdriver to help you prise things open (using 2x credit cards as a sandwhich to avoid damaging anything).

I bought the mki9200 from Road Radio and the SOT lead from on eBay My World - commplexsolutionsltd. (The actual item was 'PC000057AA eq SOT Honda: Civic,CR-V,FR-V,Odyssey').

The total cost was just under £160. It works like a dream - loud and clear, plus I can stream internet radio direct from my Nokia E71 or play music from a USB stick.

I would`ve been lost without the great guide produced by colthillary - thanks mate!

The only thing I had to do differently was to swap the power leads over to the mki9200 as it wasn`t saying goodbye to me (see Parrot - FAQ_MKi9200). Not sure if it's a difference between models but mine is a 2008 SE 2.2 i-CTDi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts