2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Deluded FK2 Owner
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just brought a 1.8 Honda Civic Type S GT 2006 and whilst fiddling with all the controls in my drive way, to my surprise, I discovered the car had electric folding mirrors! Fantastic, so I press the button to operate, but unfortunately, only the drivers side door mirror folded in. I tried switching between the L or R to see if this made a difference, but regrettably, it didn't.

Upon inspection, I find that all the other functions, such as the mirror adjustment, mirror heater and indicator work correctly, however, I am physically able to move the mirror with my hands (very easily), whereas I am unable to do this with the side that works correctly (Without excessive force).

I don't really want to replace the entire unit, however, I'm unsure as to what part could potentially be faulty. The fact that I can move the mirror myself lead me to think the motor may be the problem, but since browsing through the forum, I've seen people say other parts could cause the problem, such as the Shut-off Device and Control Unit.

Could anybody shed some light on the potential problem part, so that I can replace it? There appears to be no visual damage to the mirror, so I presume it hasn't had a whollop in the past.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
613 Posts
Worth starting with your SOD. I had the same issue and the SOD repair worked fine. And not too difficult even for a non-techie like me.

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
Mine was the same and I replaced the SOD (Shut off device) and it worked fine..

However if you are able to move the mirror by hand very easilly chances are it has damaged the mechanics inside the mirror itself which the SOD probably wont fix.

May be worth removing the entire unit to check to see if everything is as it should be - comparing it to the working one ;)

Hope this helps

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Assuming that you've checked all the relevant fuses, I recommend that you have a look at my thread that Gatesy has linked to; specifically post #9 as this explains how to access the SOD.

Get access to them in both mirrors, and swap the units over (they are not specific to the side of the car). If the problem suddenly changes to the driver's mirror and the passenger mirror folds in - you've found the fault... and I can definitely help with that :)

If not, it's likely to be an issue with the actual motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It might have had the mirror replaced with a non-folding one.

When someone took my wingmirror off, I bought a replacement but accidentally bought a non-folding one. I had to return it to get one the folded.

Its not too hard to get the mirror off to check the connection, if you don't mind taking your new car apart that is!

There's a guide on the forum somewhere, just use the search button.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
It might have had the mirror replaced with a non-folding one.

When someone took my wingmirror off, I bought a replacement but accidentally bought a non-folding one. I had to return it to get one the folded.

Its not too hard to get the mirror off to check the connection, if you don't mind taking your new car apart that is!

There's a guide on the forum somewhere, just use the search button.
Pop the cover off, if it's a folding mirror there will be the SOD in there.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-f...c-folding-mirror-fault-need-help-part-no.html

Have a look here

Then at the bottom of the page for similar threads
Yep, that's the SOD. I even posted in that thread before I paid Honda to fix mine... and long before I started fixing them!!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Not at all - happy to share the info as I didn't discover it! I've had several people on the forum contact me for info and I'm always more than happy to help people have a go at a DIY repair... after all I don't offer the service for profit, just to help people out.

Trafo posted a guide on how to do it about 2 weeks after I'd forked out to Honda for mine.
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/72659-how-how-repair-wing-mirrors-0-25-euro.html

With the fact that more and more people seemed to have the problem I decided I'd start repairing them for folks who weren't confident in doing so themselves.

·
Deluded FK2 Owner
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the responses guys! It'll post the outcome once I've tried all the suggestions and sorted the problem- you never know, it could be something different to the norm.
The guide seems really helpful, so I'll definitely be using that.

·
Deluded FK2 Owner
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To add to the post, in regards to the door mirror, the drivers side SOD is on it's last legs which I am swapping out- however, the passenger side still doesn't work, whether or not I change the SOD.

Like I said, I can freely move it, so would this be the motor controlling the retracting function? If so, anybody know where I could get a replacement, instead of changing the whole mirror!? I'm handy with a soldering iron!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
For the driver's side, if the SOD is on its way out and you're handy with a soldering iron get yourself a RXEF030 polyswitch and swap out the old one.

As for the mirror - sounds like it has motor damage.

However considering you've just bought this I'd be going back to the seller - you can't be sold a car with folding mirrors that don't fold as that infringes your statutory rights!

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those who can do a bit of soldering the fuse that needs changing in the SOD is a 0.3a 72v fuse. It's a faff to dig it out but it can be done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts