2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i tried to sell my car the other day and one of the put offs i was told was the clunky passengers door ..... whats that arm called on the hinge that causes this so i can get a replacement :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi guys i tried to sell my car the other day and one of the put offs i was told was the clunky passengers door ..... whats that arm called on the hinge that causes this so i can get a replacement :)
The bit that allows the doors to open in two stages and stops the doors opening too wide is called a check strap. If the door is clunking when you open it fully, put some oil on the check strap pivot and along its length. Dry check straps usually creak and squeak, not clunk. If the door is clunking when you shut it, it could be an alignment issue caused by the striker plate. This is the bit where the door catch locates onto to allow for positive alignment.
Striker plates don't normally require adjustment unless the car is very old or has had a door replaced at some time. Check your rubber door seal is seated correctly as well...if it isn't, this can cause clunking when you shut the door.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Grab the rear / opening edge of the door and try to move it gently up and down....if the hinge pins are worn you will feel it....I doubt they will be worn though....more likeley to be what 'man shed' has suggested

1 - 3 of 3 Posts