2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the recent, and still ongoing, For Sale issue we will soon be implementing some auto text that will appear in all applicable threads.

In the meantime be aware that Paypal Gift payments cannot and will not be refunded by Paypal after a purchase goes wrong.

Both in the thread and once you proceed to PM stage avoid being bullied into making the payment by 'gift' if the amount involved is considered large. Pay the fee and stay protected.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I still don't understand why people would use the gift option for large amounts?

:facepalm:

There's a handful of sellers on here I would trust (and they normally sell items for what I would consider reasonable small amounts). Other than for those I'd rather either pay the feed or meet in person and pay cash.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
On various other forums, I've noticed that "gift" PP is not permitted in general. The preference is to use full goods payment, with the seller taking that into account with the offering price, to protect both parties.

May be worth implementing here as well?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I give the customers the option when paying by paypal.
The price quoted is the cleared funds price.
Should they want to take advantage of paypal, they can either pay by friends/family thus neither pay any fee, or they can pay the total plus the fees. That way they're buying the insurance should the transaction not go to plan - not that it ever does :D

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On various other forums, I've noticed that "gift" PP is not permitted in general. The preference is to use full goods payment, with the seller taking that into account with the offering price, to protect both parties.

May be worth implementing here as well?
That is what we would like to do and has been tabled but unfortunately we have no control over what happens once it goes to PM. Also, as posted, some sellers are trustworthy or the amount is small.

The message we would like to regularly advertise is 'pay the fee and stay protected'

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gift Payments Banned

Due to ongoing issues we have decided to effectively ban gift payments and/or bank transfers and similar.

These payments are not protected and most other car forums already ban them.

Therefore from today (24th Feb 2016) any for sale post that asks for a gift payment will not be approved.

Also, if we are sent proof ('Report' of a PM demanding a gift payment or similar after the deal is struck) then we will ban the seller from trading.

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shaun, if you can post that up as a new one I'll sticky it.

I could do it but it's your find.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Don't want to sound stupid but how does paying "paypal fee" work how do you pay them the extra and how do you work out how much need to be payed ? Just want to know for future reference I've tried to read up but it doesn't make sense to me lol

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,863 Posts
Don't want to sound stupid but how does paying "paypal fee" work how do you pay them the extra and how do you work out how much need to be payed ? Just want to know for future reference I've tried to read up but it doesn't make sense to me lol
You don't pay it as the buyer. The seller pays the fees and should really absorb that amount as an integral part of them having profited from the sale (same as they would if you used a credit card).

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
You don't pay it as the buyer. The seller pays the fees and should really absorb that amount as an integral part of them having profited from the sale (same as they would if you used a credit card).
Cheers Jon but most people on here say "you pay the fees" I don't no how to work out how much the fee is and do I just add it on to the price i am.buying it as ?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,863 Posts
Cheers Jon but most people on here say "you pay the fees" I don't no how to work out how much the fee is and do I just add it on to the price i am.buying it as ?
Ask the seller to tell you how much their fees are.

Or negotiate the price to include the fees.

Or find a less greedy seller.

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
There is a paypal calculator that allows you to work it out, but as Jon states sellers should charge what they need including fees to make their profit.
Best thy just give you a total that includes all fees so you have a "fixed" amount to pay.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Reactions: Kremmen
1 - 16 of 16 Posts