2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Bilstein B14 kit for my fn2 type r but unfortunately I lowered it 30mm and its scraping the arches and front spoiler fairly badly. I am also running 15mm eibach spacers which I purchased from you too for the stoptech bbk kit.

I would like to know which setup you would go for as my area is full of speed bumps? If I lower it 10mm on the front and rear will this be a good setup? Some people say if you lower the front and rear equal you lose the feel of the rear is this true?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got Bilstien coilover kit lowered about 20mm all round with 15mm spacers all round and it's never caught the arches or the splitter on speed bumps mate.

And it handles like it's on rails :cool:
Thanks for the info dude, are you running them on the O.E.M wheels and do you have any large speed bumps in your area?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
IMO you arent gonna notice a whole lot of difference in changing heights, only the amount of scrub you get.

What will make a difference is the bound/rebound settings you dial in front to back.

What I would do is set a height that you are comfortable with and then spend a bit of time fine tuning the settings.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
IMO you arent gonna notice a whole lot of difference in changing heights, only the amount of scrub you get.

What will make a difference is the bound/rebound settings you dial in front to back.

What I would do is set a height that you are comfortable with and then spend a bit of time fine tuning the settings.
You can't change the rebound setting on these kits stoney ;) they are fixed.

Makes me think you might have a duff kit mate :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
OOH :(

I wouldn't say they are duff tbh, Bilstein are up there with the best brand wise, maybe swing by ABP and ask for an adjustment
Sorry, when I say duff I meant maybe this set could have dodgey rebound settings. If that's the case I'm sure they will be replaced free of charge under their guarantee.

All ABP will be able to do is amend the ride height I would have thought.

Anybody know if it's possible to change the rebound settings on these kits (not so sure now :confused::confused: )

:popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
The coilovers are set the only thing you can do is alter the height. Mine has been lowered 20mm allround and I'm running a 17" 38offset wheels and don't get any scraps of the arches or catching on speed bumps. Look at getting the ride height altered and you will be fine, I take it you wanted it lowered 30mm allround for the look?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The coilovers are set the only thing you can do is alter the height. Mine has been lowered 20mm allround and I'm running a 17" 38offset wheels and don't get any scraps of the arches or catching on speed bumps. Look at getting the ride height altered and you will be fine, I take it you wanted it lowered 30mm allround for the look?
Yeah I wanted it 30mm for the look and does look absolutely epic. Damping feels fine on straight road it just needs changing to 15mm front 20mm rear maybe. I'm surprised abp haven't commented on this tread yet, guess they must have been busy on Monday. I might give them a call tomorrow and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The main issue with running low AND using +15mm spacers is the position within the wheel arch that the tyre runs. We've set cars at -40mm with no problems but they did not have spacers fitted so didn't have any catching issues. We've also played with our car and found that when using the OE 18" alloys lowering any distance causes no catching issues at all.

However when using the OE wheels with +15mm spacers the front tyres can catch the inner arch liner (mainly the pertruding clip housings) when you lower more than -25mm. So it may be advisable to lift the ride height slightly. Saying that on my car (set to -30mm front and -35mm rear) the tyres (Yokohama AD08) have now worn the clips down and no longer catch.

So you can either let the plastic clips wear away until the tyre clears or lift the height slightly.

Hope this helps,

Chris

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got it changed to 15mm on the front and 20 on the rear and the ride is truly amazing I'm very happy with it. Suspension feels so much nicer and no crashy ride I would really recommend these. When I had the 30mm setup I found the car a lot harder but it did handle slightly better due to the lower centre of gravity. Maybe I could have gone 20 on the front but didn't want to risk catching as it's already caught a chunk of paint out the arches due to the spacers and silly speed bumps.

Overall very impressed, ride quality 100% improved and handling too this kit is awesome!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well I got it changed to 15mm on the front and 20 on the rear and the ride is truly amazing I'm very happy with it. Suspension feels so much nicer and no crashy ride I would really recommend these. When I had the 30mm setup I found the car a lot harder but it did handle slightly better due to the lower centre of gravity. Maybe I could have gone 20 on the front but didn't want to risk catching as it's already caught a chunk of paint out the arches due to the spacers and silly speed bumps.

Overall very impressed, ride quality 100% improved and handling too this kit is awesome!!
Excellent - Was good talking with you yesterday and i'm glad you've now got it sorted and are happy with the results :)

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another unpade to this: the rear suspension has become noisy and sounds like it's knocking. I know the torsion bar make these cars really stiff and hard but is this a common issue? It is quite irritating. No knocking sounds from the front at all however.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Another unpade to this: the rear suspension has become noisy and sounds like it's knocking. I know the torsion bar make these cars really stiff and hard but is this a common issue? It is quite irritating. No knocking sounds from the front at all however.
I have noticed this also. I just live with it. For me it's the near side rear.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Not a problem we've come across or encountered on our car.... When exactly is the noise happening? Low speed? High speed? Over which types of road surface or bumps?

The only time my rear suspension makes noises is when the car drives off speed bumps (if i'm not going as slowly as I perhaps should) and when the weight of the car comes off the speed bump the spring coils touch giving a noise which is expected and short lived.

The FN2 doesn't actually have a torsion bar rear suspension set-up - its actually a torsion beam suspension which is quite different. Torsion bars are used instead of springs on mainly french cars.

Chris

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Thats exact same side as mine too after giving it a bit more of a listen tonight. Hopefully I can sort a fix tomorrow and report back when it's on the ramp
Very strange that you are just getting a noise from one side of the rear.....:confused:

You need to be careful to check only 1 thing at a time so it gives you the best chance of finding the noise. Suggest the following:
1) Check everything on the N/S/R is tight - Spring seats, top mount etc then road test to check if cured.
2) Switch the shock absorbers left to right then road test to see if the noise moves. If it swaps sides it may be a shocker (very unusual) BUT if it doesn't it rules out a shocker fault.
3) Depending on the shocks trial maybe switch the spring seats and springs left to right and see if the noise swaps sides on road test?

If none of the side-swaps moves the noise it os most likely to be a body or trim vibration causing the noise.

Please let us know what you find as we've not had any other issues and as I said previously my car is very quiet as are all the other kits we've supplied or fitted.

Cheers,

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Didn't have time to swap the suspension just tightened everything up and re checked anything wasn't loose then greased the springs. Still the same rattling noise in the same area. Will next put the oem linear springs back on and see if that works. If this doesn't work send the rear kit back to manufacture as this noise is not acceptable it's quite embrassing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts