2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have an 06 Honda civic cdti. I have browsed through the sticky 'check your alarm' thread and it has given me lots of good advice. I would like to detail my specific problem.

Yesterday morning, the remote key fob would not work. I had to physically put the key in the lock to enter the car. As soon as I shut the door, the hazards flashed for about 10 seconds then went off. There was no audible alarm tone. Then the temp warning light blinked then the hazards srarted again. This cycle repeated. I started the engine and after about 10 minutes the hazard cycle finished but the temp light continued to blink every few seconds. I then drove away on my journey.

The exact same thing happened this morning.

I suspect from reading the sticky it's something to do with the car alarm.

Is there anything I can do to narrow down the problem? Iraq some kind of reset foe the alarm system. I shall play around tonight with the alarm system and see if I can discover anything else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Donny

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Sounds like you have the alarm arming and flashing indicators but no sound syndrome.

You can only disarm the alarm with the button on the keyfob - opening the door with the key should sound the alarm and flash the indicators.

It could be the keyfob battery needs replacing - or the car battery needs replacing or the alarm needs replacing or all 3. I would replace the keyfob battery first then read this thread http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/15283-check-your-alarm-system.html?title=Check

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Maybe a bit of a silly question, but is replacing the key fob battery an easy job or is it best to go to the dealers?

I shall do this first then 're read the thread in detail.

Thanks

Donny

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again. Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I have not yet had chance to change the battery in the key fob, but I have been playing.

I am convinced now that it is a car alarm type system problem.

1- I unlocked the door using the key fob. Everything was fine, as expected.
2- I unlocked the door manually using the key. Entered the car, shut door, hazards came on, but no audible tone.
3- I wound the window down, locked the door as normal, reached in, unlocked the door using the manual drivers lock on the inside of the door, opened the door, and the hazards came on immediately, but nk audible tone.

I can therefore say that the alarm systems working fine apart from there is no audible tone. How does the alarm power system work?

Another thing that worries me is that when the car is I alarming mode ie hazards flashing, I can still start the car. Therefore where do I stand with the immobiliser. Does the fact that I have the key in the ignition deactivate the immobilizer and hence allow me to start the car?

I shall definitely change the key fob battery then detail read the alarm thread.

Is there any other tests/plays I can do in the meantime to get the alarm sound working?

I have checked the bonnet latch and the fuel cap and all seems fine.

Many thanks for your continued support...

Donny

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Update for you. I played around trying to get the alarm to go off tonight. I can get the alarm to trigger, but I cant for the life of me cant the alarm to sound.

I tried locking someone in the car, and got them to wave their arms around, but we couldnt get the alarm to trigger. I can only get it to trigger by opening the door drom the inside when the alarm is armed. very strange...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
What model of Civic have you got? if you have an SE or sport then it doesn't have interior sensors - only the ES and EX 5 door and the Type-S GT 3 door versions have the interior sensors.

When you say alarm triggered did you here the siren sound or just the indicators flash?

Ensure the boot is also shut and all doors are shut correctly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply.

I have a 06 Ex. It definitely has motion sensors.

sorry for the confusion. Just the indicators flash. I can't make the siren go off. It has definitely worked in the past (6 months ago maybe) when I locked my mate in the car when I went to pay for diesel and came back and the alarm was giving it the beans.

I have checked all the doors, boot, fuel cap and bonnet. All securely shut...

Thanks for the support. I shall try to get a new battery for key fob tonight and have another play.

Does the alarm system work on a different battery circuit?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts