2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now been the proud owner of my NHB CTR for 5 weeks and I still love every minute of it. I thought I would take the time to share some of my thoughts on the car (good and bad) and how I can improve on the bad points.

Design

- I cannot stop looking at it. From every angle this car just screams original and angry which I love. And even when sitting inside, the dash and colour of the interior is a nice place to be and unlike any other car on the market.
- The seats were a big concern when I first bought it as they were quite uncomfortable at the start but I stuck with it and it must now have moulded to my body because they are the most comfortable seats I've used now
- A few negatives that must be addressed. The paintwork is quite cheap, there are a few stone chips across the bonnet and I haven't had chance to detail it and correct the swirling but it has a HUGE amount of swirling going on and the car is only 3.5 years old. I've had older cars with dark paint and far less swirling (maybe whoever owned this last washed it Brillo pads ).
- Another downside is the plastics on the exterior. Like the boot shell (exterior) being made out of plastic, I think it's more weight saving? Or is it saving on money for Honda? My last bug bare is the rear lights. The plastic that covers them gets water around the seals and when washing the car sometimes get condensation on the inside.

Engine

- I have never driven a VTEC (Honda) engine before and had always been told that you need to be working it hard to get the power from it. They are correct, however, out of the VTEC it is an ordinary (sort of) 2.0 ltr engine sat in a car that's half the size of a Vectra. It impressed me the first time I drove it to find myself wheel spinning from junctions with ease thinking I needed to 'give it some' to actually move anywhere. And as everyone says, the noise that the car makes when the VTEC kicks in is addictive
- The engine (like most engines to be fair) is not very smooth when cold. It's jerky, gear changes are messy etc... but when it is warmed up it settles down and is gorgeous.
- This is not so much a negative but a note that the engine is naturally high revving all the time (except at idle when warm). i.e. I can be travelling at 70mph in 6th gear and be at 3500-4000rpm. When compared to my old BMW 325i, 70mph in 5th gear at just under 3500rpm. As I say this is a note and not a complaint, the Type R is not a cruiser and it's not what I bought it for.
- Economy. Much better than I thought it would be. Over 3000 miles or so I've averaged nearly 32 mpg with a mix of A & B roads and motorways combined with steady driving and spirited driving. I use V-Power (last 3-4 tank fulls) and it does feel a little better and I get an extra 2-3 mpg at the moment.

Handling & Braking

- It has to be said that the brakes are crap. I've had a couple of backside clenching moments in the car which have been down to the brakes. I have the service due up in April so I'll be splashing out on Brembo discs, Red Stuff pads and braided hoses all round and some new brake fluid. Hopefully this will get them where I'll feel happy again.
- The handling (for what I use it for) feels very good for a front wheel drive car. The BMW was in a different class to other front wheel drive cars when it came to corners. However, the Type R comes very close but I think I can make it better with Eibach springs and the FRS that I have planned for it in the summer.
- The suspension is too 'crashy' on the bumpy roads (and some motorways) for my liking, hopefully I can fix this with the Eibach springs.

Summary

Good:
- Honda's VTEC Engine is amazing
- Comfortable seats (when used to them)
- Exterior and interior is gorgeous

Bad:
- Terrifying brakes (Fix = Brembo discs and Redstuff pads with braided hoses)
- ‘Crashy’ ride (Fix = Eibach springs and FRS)
- Poor paintwork (Full detail including full correction)
- Poor rear plastic/Perspex lights

All in all I love the car to bits. I have already started modifying it with some subtle and cheap mods:

- Tinted windows
- CK3000 Parrot bluetooth kit
- Automatic folding mirror module
- Earthing kit

Mods to come (including rough order):

- Spoon socks
- Flip Key
- Brembo discs, Redstuff pads & Hel Braided hoses
- K&N Panel filter
- Paint calipers red
- Skunk2 gear knob
- Eibach springs & FRS
- Mugen quick shifter
- Grand Prix pack ???

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any comments or suggestions are welcome :D

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Glad you like the car!

I think most Type R owners would agree with you about the niggles, the ride is awful but the styling still has me twisting my neck when I'm walking away from it!

I'm not sure you can get Brembo disks that fit easily with the FN2. Have a search around on the forum, I think there are some threads that explain how you can make them work.

The GP pack can look really good on NHB, I have it. Gives a much more aggressive demeanour. I've painted my rear tow hook red and it sits really nicely under the GP's rear splitter.

A Hondata ECU or Hondata Flash Pro gives the engine a bit more lower end torque and spices up the performance even more; I can't recommend them enough.

I haven't had mine done yet, but people who have say the FRS with the Eibachs springs makes ALL the difference to the car's handling.

I'm still enjoying the car 3 years on and I get bored REALLY easily. (Nintendo generation) but I love it!

Hope you enjoy it too. :)

·
WARRIOR
2,107 Posts
Glad you like the car!

I think most Type R owners would agree with you about the niggles, the ride is awful but the styling still has me twisting my neck when I'm walking away from it!

I'm not sure you can get Brembo disks that fit easily with the FN2. Have a search around on the forum, I think there are some threads that explain how you can make them work.

The GP pack can look really good on NHB, I have it. Gives a much more aggressive demeanour. I've painted my rear tow hook red and it sits really nicely under the GP's rear splitter.

A Hondata ECU or Hondata Flash Pro gives the engine a bit more lower end torque and spices up the performance even more; I can't recommend them enough.

I haven't had mine done yet, but people who have say the FRS with the Eibachs springs makes ALL the difference to the car's handling.

I'm still enjoying the car 3 years on and I get bored REALLY easily. (Nintendo generation) but I love it!

Hope you enjoy it too. :)
Hi glaD YOU LIKE THE CAR i think its a superb car too, you can get brembo discs that fit the EP3 that also fit the FN2 (FRONT ONLY);)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Hi glaD YOU LIKE THE CAR i think its a superb car too, you can get brembo discs that fit the EP3 that also fit the FN2 (FRONT ONLY);)
Oh! Thanks for putting me right. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
All in all I love the car to bits. I have already started modifying it with some subtle and cheap mods:

- Tinted windows
- CK3000 Parrot bluetooth kit
- Automatic folding mirror module
- Earthing kit

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any comments or suggestions are welcome :D

Dont forget to change interior and exterior light bulbs, under "subtle and cheap mods".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts