2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting a decent phone holder in my Civic but I'm not sure what to go for, I have never had much luck with the search feature on Civinfo sadly as it just seems to Google search which I try usually in the first instance!

With that said, what phone holder do you have if any? Sadly my 9G doesn't have Android Auto / Apple CarPlay so I must rely on my phone for Navigation (good navigation at least.. Looking at you built in Sat Nav :roll:)

I'd love to see some pictures and makes/models if you guys would be interested in sharing, would be a big help :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I've been considering a mount of a cheap android device to the right or left of the gauge cluster for use as a simple waze only box; kremmen iirc has a good install based in the cup holder which is perfect for something you're looking to keep out of the way.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been considering a mount of a cheap android device to the right or left of the gauge cluster for use as a simple waze only box; kremmen iirc has a good install based in the cup holder which is perfect for something you're looking to keep out of the way.

Think it was this thread you mentioned: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/general-discussion-9g/313706-9g-phone-mount.html

Looks like a good fitting but I'm definitely going to need my phone a little higher up to pay some attention to the navigation.. I was considering something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Winds...e-Windshield/dp/B077GLT8W9?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_8

I'm thinking it may be possible to have the mount fit roughly to the top right of the fuel guage (on the long swept surface below the speedo) and then the suction cup on window near the pillar but I think it might block visibility too much there, especially if I'm tracking a kerb on a roundabout.

I did consider the brodit kit but I think it only has a mount that will block a vent and as winter rolls around I don't want to cook my phone especially if it has Sat Nav on [smilie=giggle.gif]

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
If routing for the right side of the speedo, I'd consider getting a 12v dc charger with a couple of USB ports and a wired lighter socket -,you can wire it directly to the option connector using one of the handy plugs, and just run the USB cable up the side panel - excess cable and the port /USB charger can all be zip tidied away under the dash - also means your existing ports will all remain free.

·
4,773 Posts
Coo. Those two look dreadful things.
I have one of similar to THIS which both holds the phone and is a fast charger for those who have FC phones. I modified the mount with a bit of bent tin to clip between some trim and the air vent, so the A/C also keeps the phone nice and cool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coo. Those two look dreadful things.
I have one of similar to THIS which both holds the phone and is a fast charger for those who have FC phones. I modified the mount with a bit of bent tin to clip between some trim and the air vent, so the A/C also keeps the phone nice and cool.
That looks good, how how it hold up when attached to the vent? I did have a similar phone holder previously and it wouldn't be the best fit resulting in me losing confidence (it's gripper was similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Unive...ne+holder&qid=1569658897&s=electronics&sr=1-5)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I also have a magnetic holder about the size of a 50p and its surprisingly really powerful even the most harsh bumps the phone just stays where it is- had it off amazon for £8.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GETIHU-Das...s=magnetic+phone+holder&qid=1569677504&sr=8-8

don't be fooled by the photo - the photo makes it look like the size of small phone its actually quite discreet

as above will try and get some photos later and edit

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Shame the image broke but I think I know the type, do you need a special phone case for this to work?

Not shure why its not showing but have on my profile folder if interested have a look. And no its a metal plate which you stick on back of your phone or phone case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also have a magnetic holder about the size of a 50p and its surprisingly really powerful even the most harsh bumps the phone just stays where it is- had it off amazon for £8.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GETIHU-Das...s=magnetic+phone+holder&qid=1569677504&sr=8-8

don't be fooled by the photo - the photo makes it look like the size of small phone its actually quite discreet

as above will try and get some photos later and edit
Have to say that looks really good, definitely on my shortlist. I'm guessing that there is a magnet that's also stuck on to the back of the phone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not shure why its not showing but have on my profile folder if interested have a look. And no its a metal plate which you stick on back of your phone or phone case.

Had a look, I like the built in charger, is that for wireless charging? Looks a lot like CAM32ON's suggestion.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Yes its same thing just under diferent name. It has plate which sticks to dash and has few magnets built in, then metal ball which allows to move phone 360 deg, another plate with few super strong neodymium magnets which keeps all together and has plenty of strenghth to have phone in place.

The charger thing? It is just a charging cable stuck to magnetic holder so all looks clean. It runs from a usb charger under dash. Once i put a phone on holder i plug cable to phone.

Wireless charging would be less efficient/ take to long to charge phone. Especially if you running a gps on phone and charging at same time.

·
4,773 Posts
Wireless charging would be less efficient/ take to long to charge phone. Especially if you running a gps on phone and charging at same time.
Yes, wireless charging is less efficient than a direct connection. However, this evening my car charger wireless mount charged my phone from 40% to 70% whilst using GPS on a 40 min drive home. And that's without having to fanny about with cables etc.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Have to say that looks really good, definitely on my shortlist. I'm guessing that there is a magnet that's also stuck on to the back of the phone?
The corresponding disc is about a 3cm diameter circle I've stuck it to inside of my case then it gets sandwiched between the phone and case obviously

What I've noticed it whilst the case is on my phone wont wireless charge (Samsung S10) think the stick on disc interferes with the way the wireless works but pop the case off and wireless charging is fine but I'm not bothered by a single cable on my dash if I do need to charge whilst driving

Reactions: diadulia

·
4,773 Posts
Here you go. Pics as promised.
General shot of charger/mount with phone (S9+)
Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Auto part

Close up
Automotive exterior Material property Bumper Vehicle
Top of 'bent tin' tucked between trim
Automotive design Material property Font Wheel Car
Bottom bit tucked between trim bits. Charger cable goes behind trim to a Fast charge adaptor plugged into a handy ciggy socket.
Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive exterior Silver
Vent mount removed and tightening nut used to affix charger/mount to 'bent tin'.
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Hood Automotive design

Note that 'bent tin' is really thin steel plate that has been tarted up with some self adhesive CF vinyl.

Oh ****. Bear with me while I get the pics the right way up. How hard can it be to turn pics through 90 degrees? I give in/can't be assed.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Magnetic holder next to standard head unit. Looks clean and quick to put on/ off phone.
i tried a few options but went with this ^ setup in the end. just a simple round black magnet on the dash next to the HU, you need a plate on the phone (invisible under the phone cover). easily strong enough to cope with bumps etc, and virtually invisible when the phone's not on on there - its black so you don't notice it. it also puts the phone in exactly the right place to use the phone as a nav if needed. it was also the cheapest option IIRC.

cost something like 3 quid :)

oh, and it came with multiple stick on plates to go on the back of phones, so i also put one one my wife's phone so she uses the same mount when she borrows the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts