375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick up my car on Friday.
Any tips from people that have done this already. I am a new car virgin. :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
So was I. My best advice would be don't break down on the way home :D

I think it's worth checking the car for any obvious signs of bad finishing, maybe even take it for a spin before signing if that's ok with them.

Check the mileage on the car isn't too excessive for a newie.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I've done this a few times... You're really only checking cosmetic stuff, since mechanical isn't yet obvious (and is covered by the waranty).

Be systematic, and don't be in a rush to drive off. Work your way round the outside, check all the paint and in particular the wheels. Check the corners of the car, especially low down. Go into the boot, then sit in the back, then check thoroughly the trim in the front, especially the stuff you can't see (ie low down in the footwell).

I found: 2 scratches on the paint, 2 clips missing, 1 bit of trim not attached, one misplaced carpet.

Once I got it home, I found 2 deep scratches in the interior trim, so I'm not perfect at this!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Pottsy. Nothing simple like just fill in a couple of forms and drive away then?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Mark :D

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To coin a phrase I use on my kids "one more sleep” that’s all I have to wait before I pick up my car.... :lol: :p :lol:.

Well after all the hype I hope it lives up to expectations.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I use the exact same phrase with my twin Nephews.....but as I've been waiting since February, they've kinda lost interest as they can't count that high yet!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I'm getting my replacement next week. Got to wait for the bits and pieces to be fitted as well though!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having read the rules of what to do when picking up a new car, what is acceptable as "delivery" milage?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Well I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, but it should be below 50, probably between 10 and 20 I would suggest.

It's not a massive issue, but I have heard of dealerships taking cars out for a burn before they give them over to customers!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Giss, I will let you know how I get on. Just saying goodbye to my trusty Pug 206.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW :p :lol: :D :D

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picked the car up @ 10. By the time I got out of the dealership it was 11'ish. Had a spin then had to go to work. I hoped I would get a good WOW factor in the car park, well put it this way,in the car park was my Civic a Megan coupe convertable and a brand new Focus ST. This is no word of a lie the Civic got more attention than the other two cars put together. The ST is a preformance car but with no looks...it a Ford Focus on steroids and the Megan is ....well its looks crap.

My Civic cost less than the Focus and Megan, has more gadgets and more people would rather have a Civc than the other two.
Now this leads to another problem. The car could become so popular that every Tom,Dick and Harry could end up with one and this would put it in the same class as a Focus...one on every street corner. :cry:

·
Banned
44 Posts
I looked at buying a Focus ST as a relacement for my CRV.What a load of rubbish. The interior is like an airfix kit, all tacky plastic. No competition for the superb Civic.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
JetJocky said:
I looked at buying a Focus ST as a relacement for my CRV.What a load of rubbish. The interior is like an airfix kit, all tacky plastic. No competition for the superb Civic.
and the golf looks distinctly moribund.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts