2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be looking soon to upgrade my stock head unit for a double din.
What is the better unit to go for the 6.1" pioneer 940bt or the 7" Pioneer AVH-8400BT ?
Also looked on a link here for a impulse car kit , there are two options the connects 2 and the honda one clearly there's a big price difference ? So they both do the same thing and so the both allow the complete removal of the stock head unit ?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The 8400bt is a nice unit, I looked at one. However if you lose your phone, it's a bit useless. The 940bt has satnav built in so will get you home without the phone and is the more capable unit. Got an unused ex demo 940bt for £475 so was a no brainer but both use Pioneer's app radio and you will be impressed.
Yep, take the head unit out - you wont need any of it (apart from the spring clips off the fascia). The Impulse fascia doesn't need a cage, the Honda one does.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 8400bt don't have sat nav built into the unit ?
Also regarding the two different facia's you say the impulse one does not need a cage ? What are the pro's of buying the honda one at the higher price ?
So if I buy the impulse kit with a pioneer cable is that all I will need ?
Also looking at the facia kit it got holes where the two vents should be , but looking at the car head unit it looks t me to be all one piece as the vents are built into the head unit or am I being stupid ? Do the vents stay in situe when you remove the head unit

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The 8400 requires you buy a GPS module or you can use the one in your phone. My 940 has GPS built in as well as traffic.

I believe the Honda fascia is slightly thicker, the Impulse one is fine though and has a bracket you screw the unit to so doesn't need the cage but you can use a cage if you prefer. You take the vents out of the fascia you are removing (plus the spring clips) and fit to the Impulse one.

The Impulse fascia and the wiring/steering wheel adapter is all you need. Speak to Bob at Impulse, got mine for £125 including the postage if you mention Civinfo. Here is my thread, camera was £12 off ebay:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/86120-pioneer-940bt.html

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 8400 requires you buy a GPS module or you can use the one in your phone. My 940 has GPS built in as well as traffic.

I believe the Honda fascia is slightly thicker, the Impulse one is fine though and has a bracket you screw the unit to so doesn't need the cage but you can use a cage if you prefer. You take the vents out of the fascia you are removing (plus the spring clips) and fit to the Impulse one.

The Impulse fascia and the wiring/steering wheel adapter is all you need. Speak to Bob at Impulse, got mine for £125 including the postage if you mention Civinfo. Here is my thread, camera was £12 off ebay:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/86120-pioneer-940bt.html
I was reading your thread and decided to go with it , I have upgraded all the speakers to jbl's but found them worse than the stock ones as the head unit as not got enough power to drive them , also soundproofed all the doors and fitted a underseat sub in the boot which I think is amazing just want sat , phone and some thing better to connect the iPhone so this would be a complete solution also will hopefully power the jbl's better.
I'm pretty good with stud like that but worried about stripping the dash out to replace the head unit

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The only difficult part is getting out the panel under the clock without damaging it. Having done all the things you have already, you wont have any problems. Just take your time and test everything before you put the car back together, takes two hours. Get a camera and connect that at the head unit at the same time otherwise you will need to take it all out again. I left the wires under the back seat for two weeks before getting around to fitting the camera. You will need to run your own wire for the reverse signal back to the reverse lights in addition to the phono cable that comes with the camera.

I was amazed at how good it sounds with the Honda speakers - you will be blown away with your set up. I have a 16gb micro SD card with music on when I cant be bothered with the phone although you can stream music via bluetooth, use DVD's with music on etc.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only difficult part is getting out the panel under the clock without damaging it. Having done all the things you have already, you wont have any problems. Just take your time and test everything before you put the car back together, takes two hours. Get a camera and connect that at the head unit at the same time otherwise you will need to take it all out again. I left the wires under the back seat for two weeks before getting around to fitting the camera. You will need to run your own wire for the reverse signal back to the reverse lights in addition to the phono cable that comes with the camera.

I was amazed at how good it sounds with the Honda speakers - you will be blown away with your set up. I have a 16gb micro SD card with music on when I cant be bothered with the phone although you can stream music via bluetooth, use DVD's with music on etc.
I am going to fit a camera at the same time , I have been looking at camera options want some thing descreet not keen on the camera on the number plate , seen a camera on EBay where you remove the number plate light fit the camera where that is then fit the lights into the camera as it as the mont built into it to ft the light straight back in but was worried about quality issues it says its a ccd camera so quality should be ok what camera did you fit ?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I am going to fit a camera at the same time , I have been looking at camera options want some thing descreet not keen on the camera on the number plate , seen a camera on EBay where you remove the number plate light fit the camera where that is then fit the lights into the camera as it as the mont built into it to ft the light straight back in but was worried about quality issues it says its a ccd camera so quality should be ok what camera did you fit ?
Speak to MrBozo about cameras
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo-traders/51600-sale-reverse-cameras.html

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
You want a NTSC camera for the Pioneer, there are loads out there (or on here as Syx says). I used this one:

Car Rear Reverse View Parking Camera 170°Angle Night Vision Color LED Sensor New | eBay

It's tiny and adjustable, just used some black mastic to attach under the sill next to the number plate lights as I didn't want to drill holes. I ran the cable in through the rear light and wired up to the brown cable on the reversing light. You dont need to connect the earth as it grounds through the phono cable.
I ran the phono cable & the reverse signal cable from the front to the back on the drivers side. I have the 3 door too so took off the arm rest and speaker cover in the back and used a coat hanger to pull the cables through. Just followed the guides on here.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
These have been on here before, think this is for a US and not a European Civic. The fact that nobody sells these in Europe backs this up.

No point speaking to the Chinese vendor, they always say it will fit.

Up to you, perhaps it fits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts