2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotta get a clip remover as I've aleady manged to break two trying to remove the front grill on my R to put on the emblem and I'm not going to touch another ONE until I find the right tool for the job.
I've done a search and came up with the following:
Trim Clip Removal Pliers Sealey RT004
has anybody any experience of this tool?
Does it do what it says, and remove the clips without breaking them into bits?
Thanks
D.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Your trying to remove the grill!! People have tired and failed this is also probably a reason why dealers take the bumper off? Plus it must be rather difficult to try and take the grill off without the bumper being off?

Your definatly referring to the grill and not getting the clips off the top to remove the black plastic cover. Cause their easy enough to remove

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Angie,
Sorry, yes that's what I mean - the black plastic cover.
I'd no problem getting the top row off - just popped up and out but the two front edge ones - not a budge and the top flew off so I don't dare go near the inner two incase the result is the same.
Thanks for the input.
D.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Maybe you should try turning the clips first. I found that they were easier to come off when the open section was facing outwards. If you just gently tease them then they should be no problem but you could just go buy some new ones instead? It'd be cheaper and quicker than buying that tool and waiting around for it to arrive.

Top tip for you here tho, these clips are used all over the civic and they are the same size so get the part number from either a 5 door or a Type S, they are exactly the same part but because you quote the number from the Type R diagram they seem to add a couple of pounds to the price. Madness!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Angie,
Indeed I notice them all over the place and my CR-V is full of them too.
I think for the R they maybe down in the wheel arch which is involved in the bulb replacment of the spots :(
I've ordered a dozen of them from a lad on ebay but I want to do it right so I'll probably invest in the tool.
Found it on ebay for about £20 (27euro)
I'm joining you in the Car obssession - best purchase in a long time. :D
Thanks
D.

·
Registered
960 Posts
After braking three of mine trying to do what you are doing the easiest way is to get the clips out is using two flat head screwdrivers and push them into the clip where the groove is cut out and the center bit just pops up. Easy as pie once you see no how its done, i wouldnt buy that tool for £20 as the screwdrivers work fine.

I think i may have took some photos when i was installing the dice unit for the radio as its the same clips inside down at the footwells, will have a look.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,
I'll give that a go - got a few spares now so I'm not just as worried :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.