2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Civic got a whole new dash replaced by the dealership yesterday due to the scratches it got from the bodyshop last time they had it. It's a lot better now :)

The plastic appears to be as soft as an Apple iPod Nano and almost scratches just by looking at it so I was wondering if any of you who have had their Civic's for a few months with maybe lots of scratches have tried any of the iPod Nano scratch solutions?

Brasso seems to be very popular, there is an article here about it: http://tinyurl.com/b8czt

Anyone got scratches bad enough to warrant trying this out? :)

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Brasso sounds good - or possibly Autosol (same sort of stuff I think). I'll give it a go - mine is already covered in scratches on the left, near the temp knob.

·
Registered
975 Posts
what about a plastic cover like the martin fields ones, to protect it full stop?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't forget your usual before/after pictures Pottsy :)

I should have thought to ask if I could have my old dash to try this out on! ;)

·
Banned
72 Posts
Re - Plastic dashboard scratches

Hello just joined the forum yesterday, loads of great info. I read the item on dash board scratches and i do not know the exact material they are made from (my car is on order) but i work for a company that makes under water vehicles, the small remote vehicles have a 360 degrees Perspex rim through which the camera can turn and view, these clear rims constantly get scratched at one point we would send them away to be skimmed by a lathe but recently we were advised to try the product sold by QVC and Halfords called MER (the polish is OK to)the kit is a great for repairing small paint chips but the paste it contains to do the final polish works very well and removes scratches in plastic. We were able to polish out 95% of scratches using the buffer pad that comes with the kit. A friend used the paste to repair a scratch to a plastic window on a caravan with great results.
We could polish very light scratches out with autsol but the MER paste is more abrasive and quicker, however if used i would use a dremmil with a small pad on a very low speed no pressure is needed - but please be careful as again i do not now how hard the dash material is and I will NOT accept responsibility for any damage caused. Anyway good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Might want to change that to "will not accept responsibility"... ;)

·
Banned
72 Posts
Thanks for that Pottsy and RiP - I could see the cliams flying in, This is the first club i have joined and i should have listerned to Groucho Marx when he said "I won't belong to any organization that would have me as a member".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've seen posts about how easy the dash plastic is to scratch, what have people found to be the best cloth and product to clean it? At the dealership today the demo car I saw looked filthy. Does a synthetic cloth designed for glass work best?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use a microfiber cloth for removing the dust on mine, works quite well but don't rub to hard cos you can scratch the plastic way to easily :x
So what’s the verdict on the Brasso Pottsy, did u give it a go?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I used a microfibre cloth to clear away the finger prints etc and one of those Pledge fluffy dusters (as advertised on TV) to pick up the dust on a weekly basis.
The plastic appears to get very static and the dust clings to it very tenaciously. I am reluctant to use an antistatic polish as they tend to smear and cause their own problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So Simon, did u try the Xerpol, did it work?
I had a go with the Brasso but it didn’t make any to the scratches and tbh I think would have made it worse if I kept rubbing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Deemon.
To be honest I have not used it yet.
Given the weather that we have had over the past couple of weeks the car has been like a furnace when parked on the drive and I just have not braved working in it during the day. However now that it is cooler this weekend I will have a go and report back.
Simon

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've asked this question before and not had a response, so I would very much appreciate "forum feedback"!!

When your talking about dashboard scratches, doy you mean "all" of the dashboard or the perspex section behind the steering wheel.

Many thanks in anticipation.

B.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just the shiny part behind the wheel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ah, though so - cheers Civicsport.

Anyone tried hoovering it with the soft bristle attachment?

B.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd have thought even soft bristles would scratch it, it IS that sensitive! :eek:

·
Registered
975 Posts
im haaving the whole of mine replaced and i hope it will be mint condition when put in

·
Registered
246 Posts
OK, I have finally got around to using the cream that I purchased, Xerapol Plastic Polish.

It got rid of the scratches, BUT comes with a very large health warning.

I used it on the coloured plastic to the right of the clear screen housing the rev counter, trip computer etc.

As per instructions I put a small amount on a clean cloth and rubbed hard. After a short time I examined the cloth and too my horror the cloth was stained blue! Looking at the dash there was now a scratch free area, but it was now dull and a slight milky colour rather than shiny blue, and my heart sank!!

I washed the cream off with water, no change. Polished it with my microfibre cloth which also did not improve matters either. Finally I used 'Mr Sheen' in large quantities to polish it up and to my great relief I now have a shiny blue plastic dash again. Blood pressure is somewhat better as well.

I am not sure how long my shiny new dash will last but for you can't see where I experimented and the scratches have certainly gone. However, at the moment, I would not use this product again unless I had a really bad scratch which I couldn't live with.

If the Mr Sheen treatment works, the dash remains shiny and I don't have to repeat on a regular basis then I would be more willing to recommend, so watch this space and I will keep you posted.

Just out of interested, anyone know the cost of replacing the plastic on the dash??
Simon

1 - 20 of 34 Posts