2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have plasti dipped my fuel cap cover about 4 times now and it looks wicked for about a week and then starts to peal off !! Is it something I'm doing wrong as I have followed the directions and apply thin coats and leave to dry between, I'm not sure what's going on !
All feedback and help is appreciated
Cheers

Ben

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Hi all

I have plasti dipped my fuel cap cover about 4 times now and it looks wicked for about a week and then starts to peal off !! Is it something I'm doing wrong as I have followed the directions and apply thin coats and leave to dry between, I'm not sure what's going on !
All feedback and help is appreciated
Cheers

Ben
I've seen quite a few people say the same thing on here. It just doesn't seem to last very long, even with several coats!

put me off wanting to do it :/

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm beginning to think that it's the plastic that the cap is made from !

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I did mine a year or so ago and it's absolutely fine :dontknow:

Edit: Same with the door handles, and car is used regularly.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Mine was fine for about a year before I got my painted NHB

Make sure you degrease it before painting

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was fine for about a year before I got my painted NHB

Make sure you degrease it before painting
Any recommendations on what to use to clean the cap properly ??

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
State the obvious but as mentioned, with painting preparation is very important.

Is it also possible that the fuel / fuel vapours / drips are reacting with the coating?
Just a thought.

Al.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have had my petrol cap, door handles and wheels Plastidipped in December and all seems to be fine so far (touch wood)...A company called 'Midlands Car Dip' did mine without much prep other than washing the surfaces with soapy water. He did put loads of layers on though it that helps, and it was applied with a paint gun which I assume was driven by compressed air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts