2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure it can be done, a DVD drive is a DVD drive is a DVD drive. I'm sure its all been disengaged and protected, obviously driving and watching a DVD is not a good idea, but is it possible to do it?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
i reckon over time someone will come up with a way. I know someone who could probably do it but it might mean running a seperate dvd player to the honda screen. Also that would envolve removing alot of the dash which personally i would not want to do on my own civic.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
not so much that no one cares, more that it's come up a few times in the past, and no one has yet come up with even a plan for how it might be possible - let alone what wires to start cutting, or software to start hacking :(

The whole sat nav display system runs under (IIRC) some sort of Windows CE environment, so it's potentially possible - but if (for example) the chunks of CE that run DVD decoding have been ripped up, then it's going to be an uphill struggle...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most manufacturers block the ability to play DVD movies to prevent any litigation resulting from someone watching a DVD and rear-ending the car in front - plus I think a lot of it depends on what quality the screen is at i.e. is it a good enough quality to playback DVD movies - many Sat Nav screens are only VGA based and lack the colour depth required.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
A DVD drive is a DVD drive

A DVD player includes, a DVD drive, a DVD decoder chip and a chip to change the digital images in to one of a number of outputs that a TV will take.

A DVD drive just READS a DVD and that's it; Windows CE is NOT powerful enough to decode a DVD. It's not that they've just switched it off; it's just not there.
Now what potentially could be done is for you to hook up a decoder chip and then output that in to the format of the display, but it's ALOT of work and not worth it. you'd be better just buying a portable dvd player and mounting it somehow.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Not to mention the fact that to play a DVD movie, assuming you did go through all that bother, would mean removing the satnav disc first, which you'd probably not want to do either.

What *would* be possibly useful would be if it were possible to install a DVD player but be able to output it to the satnav screen. However, I doubt that's worth the hassle either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There must be an aux input somewhere for the reversing cam, so it might be possible to wire a seperate DVD player into that and use the existing screen, but as per Gav above, no chance with the standard fot one playing DVDs

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
apols - I didn't explain myself very well on the Windows CE DVD decoder bit :oops:

In fact, I managed to choose exactly the wrong bit to make my point with :oops: :oops:

However, what I should have said was - how would you get the Honda'ised version of Windows CE to decide that what was in the DVD drive was a DVD, not the Sat Nav disc?
And once it had, what would you expect it to do with it?

Or - are we expecting the DVD drive to bypass CE completly, and just feed straight to the screen? (via the decoder chip as mentioned by generationgav)

In either case, which button on the dash are we hoping the DVD drive will recognise as 'Enter'?
or FFWD, skip, pause, stop, left, right, up, down?

And I guess we're hoping that the DVD decoding happens to feed the audio part of the DVD signal through to the radio HU somehow, so that we can use the volume control?
Obviously it manages this with the Sat Nav, but I have no idea quite how (although I know a certain someone on here almost managed to replace the voice files)

Please note that re-reading this post, it may appear that I am being slightly sarcastic - which is not the case.

I just think there may be a tad more too it than might appear at first glance.
After all - you would indeed think that when hooking up a DVD player and a screen, it ought to just well, work.
But given that it doesn't, I think it's going to be a right royal PITA :(

Happy to be proven wrong though! :)

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No need for apologies and not at all sarcastic! I'm just curious to see if it can be done, if it was i don't think i'd do it, it would be pointless. Every now and then i come up with these crazy ideas!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Could be much easier if you have a rear camera as for video feed you could just fake the feed/plus have the car think it's in reverse then sort out the audio

so all in all Maybe not ;-)

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Could be much easier if you have a rear camera as for video feed you could just fake the feed/plus have the car think it's in reverse then sort out the audio

Don't forget that the view from the camera is a mirror image, so if it could be made to work, left would be right and right would be left. Top would be top though and so would bottom be bottom. My head hurts trying to think it through [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
99 Posts
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/acura-tv-navigation.html

http://www.nav-tv.co.uk/search_products.asp?category=HONDA&product=Video+Integration

It maybe Honda use the same interface and comps on the europe/USA models

NAV-INHON
Product: Honda Video Input
Manufacturer: HONDA
Description: Video input for integration of aftermarket products (e.g. DVD player) with the Honda factory navigation System.
■ Two Video Inputs
■ Auto Video Switching
■ PAL & NTSC Compatible
■ Analogue & Digital Compatible
■ Plug & Play Connection
Compatible with: All Honda models fitted with a separate navigation computer.
Accord , Legend etc..
■ Any aftermarket source added via this interface will function while the vehicle is in motion (passenger use only) Locate Your Nearest UK Dealer

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/acura-tv-navigation.html

http://www.nav-tv.co.uk/search_products.asp?category=HONDA&product=Video+Integration

It maybe Honda use the same interface and comps on the europe/USA models

NAV-INHON
Product: Honda Video Input
Manufacturer: HONDA
Description: Video input for integration of aftermarket products (e.g. DVD player) with the Honda factory navigation System.
■ Two Video Inputs
■ Auto Video Switching
■ PAL & NTSC Compatible
■ Analogue & Digital Compatible
■ Plug & Play Connection
Compatible with: All Honda models fitted with a separate navigation computer.
Accord , Legend etc..
■ Any aftermarket source added via this interface will function while the vehicle is in motion (passenger use only) Locate Your Nearest UK Dealer
Allready covered here http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1751 (Post #18) and as per markvirgo's post, very expensive! I have called Nav TV and they could not confirm it works 100% with the 8th gen Civic.

Much cheaper to go down this route.... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6117

·
Registered
375 Posts

Problem is getting sound input. It would be better to install Linux or similar onto the system and have it duel boot from CE to Linux and back. You can do the same with an iPod, installing iPod Linux can make it do all sorts of things that it wasn't made to do!

·
i-VTEC Junkie
183 Posts
Quick one... I know the thread is old, but.....

WinCE (4.2 on the satnav) is quite capable of playing/decoding MPG2/DVD... as long as the processor (SH4) on the device is up to the job. But WinCE is NOT the stumbling block..

I've been playing, as sorta got a version of TCPMP working (or at least starting, it does NOT work as such). However I've had to replace the AirCon 'screen' with the app, as it's the only way to get the device to launch owt is via the hardware buttons.

I'm going to have to write an App that will test the hardware buttons to get their control codes back... so perhaps I can use them.

Also I'm basically strugling in the dark, as I have very little information on the device, does anyone know what Alpine model this is based on? or any 'propper' specs for the Honda one?

Thanks, and hopefully we can go one better than DVD, and play DivX/WMV....

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Charlas,
Sorry to say I can't help but wish you luck with your project, isn't getting the right information always a problem ?.
I would like to ask a question, is the software structured so as to allow the color pallettes to be changed, and what would it take to do this ?.
Thanks, pcr.

·
i-VTEC Junkie
183 Posts
Colours should be possible, when I've delved around in there I'll let ya know (I am assuming you mean the mapping colours). However if it's the text your having issues with, the Font can be changed very easily. Finding a font that would be better might be an issue as the whole system is setup for the font that is being used (spacing etc), but certainly possible, in fact very easy.

The Colours should be do-able, however that means dissasembling the databases etc, or locating where the system stores this information (registry or file).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts