2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just had my insurance renewal quote from Hastings Direct delivered, and the surprise is that its cheaper than last year. :eek:
Ok its only went down £20, but in all my years of driving with a maximum NCD, i have never had the same company reduce my premium for the following year. At absolute best it has stayed the same.
Last year i paid £258 with the £25 optional legal cover and this year it is £238. The premium was actually reduced by £25, but they charge a £5 administration fee for renewals.
That is another first for me, ive never experienced a company make this specific charge, but i wont complain about it under the circumstances.
To make it a hat trick of firsts - my excess has been reduced from £100 to £95. Ive only ever known insurance excess to be in multiples of £50, but again im not complaining. :)

In anticipation of having to move to another company again i had already been on the price comparison websites, but my renewal beats them all. :D

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
It refreshing to see people getting a good deal with thier insurance companys
Let alone getting it less than last year looks like a result :)

Unlike my insurance company Allen&Allen who i will not be be going to EVER again
very poor service all round, and rude people at the other end of the phone.

So when the renewal is is due i will be giving green light a call ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
I'm hearing that some insurance companies are starting to learn that it is now easy to switch elsewhere and are having to compete to keep their loyal customers.

I switched my house insurance because DL's renewal was a 66% increase on last year, even though I hadn't claimed since 1987. I subsequently got a survey email asking why.
I added in the comments that if they try the same trick with the car I'm off with that as well.

Surprise surprise I got a significant reduction as well

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
They should go down as it is an older car and older cars are cheaper to insure.

I paid 1100 for my car when i got it last year and this year i paid 980 with green slip(Comprehensive third party(dont know if UK has this sort of thing) as well, gotta love multi policy discounts.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
They should go down as it is an older car and older cars are cheaper to insure.
In theory you would think thats the way it should work, and i used to think the same thing, but in practice the market value of the vehicle doesnt make a significant difference in the price of insurance. Obviously it will play a bigger part when talking supercar money. ;)
Look at it this way....whether a particular model of car is brand new or say 5 years old, the price of parts and cost to repair after an accident will still be more or less the same, and there is still exactly the same risk of third party claims.

I dont believe that insurance companies in the UK automatically reduce the premium year on year as the value of the vehicle decreases, but i think there could be truth in what Kremmen says about some companies starting to take customer loyalty seriously.....because in the past this simply did not exist.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I renewed my insurance over the phone this afternoon.
They phoned me and asked if i was happy with the quote, so i mentioned the £5 admin fee for renewals saying i had never been charged this by any company in the past, so she removed the charge.
I also enquired about the excess being reduced to the rather unusual figure of £95, and she said its just one of the benefits and improvements they have made to be awarded a Defaqto 5 star rating.
Total price paid £233.22, which makes it exactly £25.57 cheaper than last year. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mine's gone up £30 this year. The lady on the phone said most insurances have gone up around 20% this year... not sure if that was to blag another year out of me but with my mods (only body not engine) most insurances can't touch Aviva for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts