2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Guys I need help! I have a Civic Type-S GT, 06 plate and as the image shows, my car has a booboo! For some reason the engine management light is perminantley on, and probably about three quarters of the time all these alerts are on too. However I don't believe the alerts are true as I still have power steering etc. Along with the alerts coming up, I lose my speedo, rev counter, fuel ecnonomy guarge etc. Sometimes the alerts go and I get my speedo etc back, the only alert to remain is the engine management. I took it to my local Honda dealer and after £80 to look at it, they told me it would cost about £600 as I needed a new gauage!? I have had a new battery fitted since with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas or will I have to fork out the £600, which I really can't afford due to having a new addition to my family :( Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I guess you could get a gauge pod from a breakers but you have to consider future sale value because the mileage will be different to what the MOT docs say.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Is the battery charging ok?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Have you gone into the settings via the steering wheel buttons?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Yep it's charging ok, well I think so, I had to replace it a few weeks ago because it randomly went dead after a long hour drive on the motorway too.
What's the charging voltage reading with the engine running?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

Guys I need help! I have a Civic Type-S GT, 06 plate and as the image shows, my car has a booboo! For some reason the engine management light is perminantley on, and probably about three quarters of the time all these alerts are on too. However I don't believe the alerts are true as I still have power steering etc. Along with the alerts coming up, I lose my speedo, rev counter, fuel ecnonomy guarge etc. Sometimes the alerts go and I get my speedo etc back, the only alert to remain is the engine management. I took it to my local Honda dealer and after £80 to look at it, they told me it would cost about £600 as I needed a new gauage!? I have had a new battery fitted since with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas or will I have to fork out the £600, which I really can't afford due to having a new addition to my family :( Any help would be much appreciated!
If it's literally just the gauge, you can get a replacement from ebay for about £50-£100, and fit it yourself, it's relatively easy. The mileage will be different, but providing you take evidence to say "This was the mileage, this is now the mileage" no one should really have an issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's literally just the gauge, you can get a replacement from ebay for about £50-£100, and fit it yourself, it's relatively easy. The mileage will be different, but providing you take evidence to say "This was the mileage, this is now the mileage" no one should really have an issue.
It's a possibility, although not ideal it would be cheaper. I did search for one but couldn't find it, do you know where to pick one up from?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I'm not sure, but if it's a new battery it should be pretty good right? Would this effect my problem would it?
If your charging voltage is low it can affect the whole system.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Digital Mini LED 12V/24V Car Vehicle System Voltmeter Voltage Gauge Volt Meter | eBay

Cheap volt meter, easy to use, works. Just make sure it's about 13.6V+ I think?

06-12 HONDA CIVIC MK8 SPEEDO METER INSTRUMENT CLUSTER HR0342101 | eBay

Insanely cheap, normally about £100. Plug & play though so you'd instantly know if it was working or not.

Edit: If you wanted... could change to the Type R Red ;) Only if it's at fault though
Thanks for the help so far people!

Thanks for the links much appreciated! So the machine should read 13.6v or over is that what you're saying? I will pick one up! And tempted for the cluster, is the gauge control module part of this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just recieved my votage reader (I bought the one from the Ebay link above which goes into your cig lighter) and with the engine running the votage is 14.2 - 14.3. Is this low, does it support the theory of the problems being caused by low voltage?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another note, my battery died about a month ago after a 1 hour drive on the motorway. Had a new one fitted by Halfords that day but still had the same issues. Also another note, I lost my traction control when this started, it has felt different and 'slipery' since this started.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just tried it with everything electrical in the car turned on including wipers, air con, blowers full, lights, hazard lights, interior lights, sun visor lights etc. The reading was 13.7, would drop to 13.4 for a split second if windows went down but would then go back up to 13.7. Sometimes it would go to 14.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
It's 12.2 with the engine off and just the key in 1st position.
That is quite low but not terrible. I'm sure last time I checked my Integra it was charging at 14.5V but then again it all depends on how accurate your tester is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts