2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Need your help,

Im going to install some new 6X9 infinitys on my parcel shelf and wany to run the existing speaker cables from rear speakers.

But don't know where to start in getting rear panels off, they are not door panels as ive got 3 door type-r

any thoughts?

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks this helps but i actually need to run the existing standard speaker wire to rear parcel shelf some how!

Any more thoughts?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
thanks this helps but i actually need to run the existing standard speaker wire to rear parcel shelf some how!

Any more thoughts?
Run the wire close to the pivot point of the parcel shelf.

The area where you can see the power cable looped over in this thread:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/113547-post1.html

That thread could also give some idea about how you can run the wire forward in the car under the plastic sill parts etc.

BTW - I am presuming you have built a new parcel shelf in 18mm MDF or something? Any pics?

Are you sure the HU will be able to power the 6x9s well and you don´t need an amp?

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive not built new parcel shelf, was just going to cut up the old one!

:oops:

is this a bad idea,

i thought amp wasnt possiblity in theory because of no pre-outs on hu?

also making a parcel shelf sound to much hassle to me, does anyone know if "stealth" or another manufacturer do an after market replacement at all?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
ive not built new parcel shelf, was just going to cut up the old one!

:oops:

is this a bad idea,

i thought amp wasnt possiblity in theory because of no pre-outs on hu?

also making a parcel shelf sound to much hassle to me, does anyone know if "stealth" or another manufacturer do an after market replacement at all?
The HU does not have very much power, depends on the spec of the speakers of course but 6x9 sounds like they could need more power than you have.

You can use an amplifier if you also use a LOC (converting speaker signal to line level).

Also, the speaker are probably a bit heavy for the standard shelf and for better sound quality you need something more rigid.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and do you know where to get something more rigid?

by the way thanks for your help FWH, much appriciated.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
and do you know where to get something more rigid?
Build it yourself or talk to an ICE shop.
There is not anything standard available as far as I know, so it would be a custom build.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Why bother messing up you parcel shelf JP? Why don't you do what Munro has done (FWH's first link)?

This would be much neater and would probably sound better than mounting on the parcel shelf (I doubt it has good acoustic properties!)

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Why bother messing up you parcel shelf JP? Why don't you do what Munro has done (FWH's first link)?

This would be much neater and would probably sound better than mounting on the parcel shelf (I doubt it has good acoustic properties!)
Good advise I say.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
If I was to mount extra parcel shelf speakers, I would definately make a new shelf in MDF. I'd use an extra amp, too. Keep in mind, you can't run the rear speakers and the extra ones in parallel on the standard HU, so you would have to remove or al least disconnect the rear door speakers!
You better mount an extra amp under the shelf and get power from the outlet in the boot. This allow you to remove it quickly. Don't use an amp with too much power, though. 2 x 50W RMS should be ok. And when you're at it, make some real bass reflex cases under the shelf, they will make the speakers sound WAY better! Done this a few times, you'd be amazed what you can achieve with relatively cheap (but good) speakers!
Ok it's a bit of a hassle, but very rewarding in the long run.

K.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Only trouble is that Mr JP already got a set of 6x9" speakers, if I understand his first post right, which has an oval shape, and due to that unfortunately rule out any side panel/door montage.[smilie=confuzzled.:

PS: this post was ment as a quote to Bog's post.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep u'd be right, and as seen in another post replacing the existing door speakers is pointless anyway, i have experience in this and it does not come close to 6X9 because the addition in cone size means greater bass and my 6X9's are 300watt top of the range infinitys which are the best speakers you can buy in imho!

So its either start the woodwork and make a shelf!

or go with existing one which ive done before in a clio of all cars where the parcel shelf was like tracing paper! but the sound was actually very good.

or i just add a subwoofer, and keep standard speakers maybe changing front tweeters?

:confused:

I just don't know!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
JP I went thru similar deliberations before upgrading my sound system and this may be of help - I have been progressively upgrading until I was happy with the sound:

Stage 1 Front Speakers
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/277-front-speakers-replacement-infinity-ref-6510cs.html
Stage 2 Sound proofing treatment in doors
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/8809-how-dramatically-improve-speaker-sound-quality-40-dynamat.html
Stage 3 rear speakers
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/9294-rear-speakers-replacement-coaxials-3-door.html
Stage 4 Powered Sub
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/9966-small-sub-woofer-under-rear-seats-questions.html

I have done stage 1, 2 and 3 and am now very happy with the results at a fairly low cost (@ £160). Note Stage 3 mainly benefits the rear passengers.

I like to keep the car looking standard / speaker mods very discreet. which Stages 1 to 3 achieve.

Stage 4 - I have not done this to date, as I am already pretty happy with the sound (and also not too confident about pulling the dash apart).

6x9s will be better than an upgrade with the standard speaker size, but as people say you will probably need an amp to drive them. I reckon you will get much better results with a small sub than you will with 6x9s (can you get a refund ?) If you do install the 6x9s a rigid MDF shelf will make a big improvement over mounting in the existing shelf. You may be able to stiffen up the existing shelf with MDF

I am no expert on car audio, but did research my upgrade thorougly before doing the work. I hope this helps with your deliberations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts