2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I am going to write a letter to honda uk, and ask if they think that selling a £15000+ car with a dashboard that sqeaks rattles and creaks is satisfactory. I know it sounds like a daft thing to do but i have absolutley had enough of the noise my dashboard is making and dealers not being able to fix it. To be honest polite words cannot describe the frustration i am feeling.

I realise that the answer i am going to get is probably going to be along the lines of they know about it and are working on a solution, but to me this seems to be taking far too long and the fact that they are still producing Civics, alot of which most probably have this fault I am going to ask if they think this is a morally correct thing to do.

I am also going to mention that i am considering rejecting the car as i do not feel that it is of satisfactory quality (my 6 year old civic did not rattle as much as my 12 month old one and i only paid 5k for it.)

I know there is a whole 9 or more pages of it in the bugs and faults section, but i would ask that if you have a problem with your dashboard you just drop a post here so i can get some idea of the numbers on this forum that have had a problem.

Also if you have had a problem with your dashboard and it has been fixed, what did your dealer do to cure it.

All your help is appreciated.
Adrian

·
King of the rodeo
4,826 Posts
Topcat...all is forgiven! Adrian sorry to hear this is driving you to distraction, let us know how you get on, but don't expect too much in reply from Honda, they'll just advise you to take it to a dealer and have it looked at. I too have some squeeks, the annoying part is its a brand new car rather than the noises it makes, i don't notice them often as i usually play music but i will have it looked at eventually.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Topcat...all is forgiven! Adrian sorry to hear this is driving you to distraction, let us know how you get on, but don't expect too much in reply from Honda, they'll just advise you to take it to a dealer and have it looked at. I too have some squeeks, the annoying part is its a brand new car rather than the noises it makes, i don't notice them often as i usually play music but i will have it looked at eventually.

What am I forgiven for? Hmmm let me guess, erm, er, nope I can not think what it could be. ;)

Itsrelfy has taken it to the dealers and they can not fix it, thats why he is complaining [smilie=smack.gif]

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I pretty much agree with all you say, but will resist the opportunity to go on.
Have a variety of different creaks, rattles, vibrations from the dashboard. Have poked and prodded behind dash and have come to this conclusion, the dashboard has not been designed not to rattle. Most everything behind there is a rattle waiting to happen.
Good luck, pcr.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
itsrelfy - I'm sorry to hear that the dealer can't fix this. It will be interesting to see how Honda respond to a well structured letter, with luck they will offer to help the dealer fix the problem. But ultimately it is the dealer at fault - they are the ones you have a contract with (so it's the dealer you have to seek recourse with) and it's the dealer who has failed to rectify the fault, under the T&C's you have with the dealer.

I'd word the letter as a plea of last resort, before you take action against the dealer, and see if they can intervene.

P

PS - I'll amend the thread title to one a bit more descriptive.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
itsrelfy - I'm sorry to hear that the dealer can't fix this. It will be interesting to see how Honda respond to a well structured letter, with luck they will offer to help the dealer fix the problem. But ultimately it is the dealer at fault - they are the ones you have a contract with (so it's the dealer you have to seek recourse with) and it's the dealer who has failed to rectify the fault, under the T&C's you have with the dealer.

I'd word the letter as a plea of last resort, before you take action against the dealer, and see if they can intervene.

P

PS - I'll amend the thread title to one a bit more descriptive.
I gave up with my dealership, they refused to give me the information I needed and when I wrote a letter to them they took two weeks to reply. The reply was basically look to Honda UK for answers and we hope you get the answers you are looking for!!

I am currently awaiting a reply to a rather long and valid letter I sent to Honda CS.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Civic is going in tomorrow (Monday) for the dashboard clicks and squeaks to be looked at, and hopefully, cured. I will let you know if I have any update on what might be the problems.

·
Old enough to know better
125 Posts
I have had slight squeaking/vibrations from the dash.
Not quite bad enough to complain though.
However, I had a stone hit the screen, requiring a new one and guess what, no more squeaks/vibrations.
This may be the clue to a cure.
Regards
Tony:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had slight squeaking/vibrations from the dash.
Not quite bad enough to complain though.
However, I had a stone hit the screen, requiring a new one and guess what, no more squeaks/vibrations.
This may be the clue to a cure.
Regards
Tony:)
Thanks for that Tony thats a great help. I think uffes squeak was sorted with a new screen, but i dont think they hand these out willy nilly, maybe i will have to chip mine!!!!

Did your dealer replace it or someone else like autoglass???

This deffinately seems like a fix though (hopefully)

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Shortage

Beware there will be a shortage of windscreens now as everybody has a stone hit there screen
Off out to follow some lorries
Happy christmas for windscreen firms

·
Old enough to know better
125 Posts
Autoglass fitted my front screen (1.8 ES, glass roof) with no difficulty at all.
They tried to do my Accord, but it was a b*****d and they failed twice and passed it over to Honda who took two goes to get it right.
The whole thing took 4 months to do.
The Civic design makes the job a doddle.
Tony:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Adrian,

I had the same problems with the dash/windscreen.

I ended up corresponding by phone and in writing with a guy called Steve Dyer at Honda CS.

He was very helpful and arranged for the car to be taken back to the factory after the dealer admitted defeat.

The factory had the car for 1 month, Honda paid for a hire car during this period, sadly although they had fixed some problems the dash and windscreen still squeak and rattle, in fact @ 25k miles its worse than ever.

I've just had a recall for the steering pump and am so fed up with having to take this car in and out of the garage that I am getting rid of it in January.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that is interesting cause uffe said that when he had his screen replaced, it was a two day job, day one to remove and fit the new screen, day two to let the bond cure.

Tony did the autoglass say anything to you about drying times and that???

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just got mine back from the garage. They have taken some clips from around the screen that are used to lift it in the factory. They say that this is what has been causing the problem. I think that this has been mentioned before in the forums.

When I had my screen replace in my 51 reg Accord it was done in an hour or so. No problems with the adhesive curing at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys

Below is something along the lines of what i am going to send to Honda:
For the attention of Steve Dyer

I am writing this letter seeking answers to some questions that I have, therefore I shall keep this short and to the point.

My Honda Civic (current shape) Registration No E*** **R has a number of rattles coming from the dash area of the car, the noise is constant although sometimes worse and sometimes a bit better, and so far my local dealership has been unable to resolve the problem.

My questions are these:

·Do you deem it acceptable for any car costing upwards of £15000 to have this sort of problem only 12 months into its life?

·Do you think it Correct that you are still producing and selling cars with what appears to be an inherent fault?

·If you have found a solution to this fault, why is it that owners of Civics affected are not having their problems resolved quickly? Members of www.civinfo.com report numerous visits with little or no success.

·Do you think it is fair that owners of Civics affected have to pay for courtesy cars while problems that are not of their making are being investigated?

I feel extremely frustrated, that what in all other respects is a brilliant car is being let down by faults of this nature, faults that are not in keeping with the Honda brand and image, this is my 3rd Civic and very probably my last

I also feel that dealerships are not getting the support they need from Honda UK in regards to getting dashboard faults and fuel filler flaps sorted in a prompt manner (a piece of foam will not fix the problem, all it does is crush!!!)

If you would like to see the frustration these faults are causing please visit www.civinfo.com.

The last thing I will ask is that you get answers to these problems quickly, Honda have done an amazing job in making the new Civic one of the most modern looking and thoroughly competent cars on the road. It has also done a brilliant job in making what was once seen as an older persons car appeal to a much younger group of people, However people will not stay loyal to a brand if they do not get the quality they expect, and in the car world today there are plenty of other choices!

I look forward to your reply.

Yours.
Adrian Relf

Please tell me what you think ( i dont want to get sued or anything!!!)

Cheers
Adrian

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I have raised similar questions (a couple of them being almost identical) in my novel to Steve Oliver at Honda CS. No reply as yet - I don't expect one this side of Christmas either, if at all.

I was supposed to be getting a copy of the report from the paint inspection (I was told it was sent 1st class on Friday 8th December) still not received it and they haven't returned my phonecalls chasing them for it!!

Perhaps they are stuck under a mountain of complaint letters!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only question remains, where should i send it. Is the address in the contact us section of the Honda website going to be the place of destination or is there anywhere else i can send it?????

Cheers
Adrian

1 - 20 of 31 Posts